New Acoustic Preset attempt... W/Sound Clip

WERNER1

Inspired
So next month I will be playing my acoustic live and thought I'd try and get something decent dialed in on my Ax8 as I already have been using the AX8 for all of my Electric and Bass guitar needs :D

I'm using my Taylor 414CE and one of the Sigma 3 acoustic IR's (Martin D45) as a "Cab Block", and then I'm using the SV Bass Amp block to help dial in and tweak the sound over all. I have a compressor block up front, and a little Delay and Reverb in blocks at the end of the chain.

I'm not sure if the way I've laid things out is the "Correct" way to use an Acoustic IR or not, but I couldn't seem to get enough volume with out adding the amp block, I tried the Tube Pre amp, but ended up switching to the SV Bass one for some reason.

It's not quite there yet, but I think it's a step in the right direction at least. - Way better than just running direct for sure! I'm still struggling with the High End String sound,.. sort of sounds tinny and dead to me, wish it had more of a "Natural" sound to it,..

I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on this sound. Unfortunately I can't post the preset as I'm using the Sigma 3 IR.

Let me know whatcha think!

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited:
your Acoustic IR should be first in chain since it is meant to be the tone of the guitar. When you need put level boost I use a filter block or an EQ blk where I only adjust the level control. It is a true clean boost. With that said it sounds good to me. Surprised you did not buy the Taylor IR

that's really very good. i do think the amp block is colouring the sound, though. use a filter, eq, or volume block to add gain. you might find you get some sparkle back as well.

you know, somebody with a bit of gumption and an axefx could do a tonematch and export it as a user cab for you, if they had a recording of the dry piezo signal and a nice reference

brokenvail - I listened to all of their acoustic IR's,.. and honestly the Martin the Gibson ones were the ones that sounded best to me,.. so that's what I purchased. The Taylor one sounded a bit more thin and smooth to me (Which is how mine sounds in real life).. but I liked the more Midrangy full bodied sound of the Martin IR.

I'm still very Newbi'ish at the whole IR thing, I just imported them through Cab Lab Lite, but I could see the advantage of getting Cab Lab full version or something similar to blend and mix different Acoustic IR's for that "Ideal" sound.(???) I need to read up on the IR's that were provided as it looks like there are about 12 different ones just for the Martin "Sound Hole" folder... like 1A, 1B, 1C, then 2A, 2B and so on,.. I know the "C" ones are supposed to have more bottom end... but I'm not sure about the whole 1,2,3..thing.?

Maybe tonight I'll mess around more with just the IR in the Cab Block and boost it with an EQ or something after it in the signal chain.

Simeon - Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm not really following you on the Tone Match and Export to user Cab thing,.? I thought that's kind what I have now,.. or did? Downloaded their IR (Is it a "Tone Match"?) and used cab lab lite to convert the .wav and import it into a user cab slot on the AX8 - Again, this is my first go-round with this whole IR thing :D ... If you're referring to Tone Matching my Taylor,.. eh,. even when I mic it I'm underwhelmed :( :D

Lauke - Thanks,. .but I haven't touched my acoustic in quite some time... super rusty on it and was just noodling trying to dial in a decent sound.:confused:

no, you've just used a third party IR, which really has nothing to do with the guitar you're playing. my point was, that using a tonematch would match the actual sound of your piezos to an actual recording of the guitar you're using. so in theory, it would sound much more natural. i could give you the user cabs i made of my tonematch, but because my piezos sound different to yours, it wouldn't work so well.

Ah,.. so how do I get a "dry recording of the Piezo signal"?.... just a direct out recording of my guitar? Mine has the ES1 system on it which I believe uses a combination of a bridge Piezo and another pickup in the body/neck area...?

i just mean the output of the guitar without any processing

you need to find a reference you like the sound of and then record yourself playing something similar. provide both a link to the audio/video and the wav file of your playing

Roger that!

So while I was messing around, I thought I'd give you all a quick reference of what I'm working with here...

This first clip is a DI track of my Taylor plugged straight into my FireFace UC (Just a raw track)

And then this one is a Stereo Mic'd track of my Taylor using a matched pair of Studio Projects B1 mic's

The stereo mic test don't do these mic's justice at all,.. they are my go-to mic's on a lot of my projects ;)

Last edited:
smittefar - that might take me while to sift through that process :D

So, here's another attempt using the Martin D45 IR, this time the cab block is at the front of the signal chain and I've got a Fliter and an EQ in there for volume and ...well EQ'ing... Then there's some light reverb and delay on it.... I think this sounds pretty decent..???

Let me know whatcha all think please.

So, here's another attempt using the Martin D45 IR, this time the cab block is at the front of the signal chain and I've got a Fliter and an EQ in there for volume and ...well EQ'ing... Then there's some light reverb and delay on it.... I think this sounds pretty decent..???

What a difference moving the ir to front made....Nice...

If you send the two files in a PM to me, I can do it for you - It's quick, when you got the procedure down :)

don't forget he's on an AX8 which doesn't have a tonematch block

the mic'ed audio he posted is stereo, so it might be worth tonematching the left and right sides separately

I am also on AX8, so I never had a tone match block :)

I believe, the newest AX8edit\Cab-Manage can handle stereo IRs. They are automatically converted to two mono IRs. I will make two mono IRs though :)

Thanks for all the help and support on this guys!!! Unfortunately I'm not in love with those two sounds as they are (My direct and Mic'd sound that is..) I've been scouring the internet for what I feel is my "Perfect" acoustic tone,.. ... that has proven to be MUCH harder than you would think :(

Do you guys think it's worth the 50.00 investment for the Stand alone Cab Lab software so that I can mess around with blending different acoustic IR's (I would probably get into some custom cab IR's as well at some point I think...???

So is the general feeling that the last clip I posted using the Sigma 3 Martin D45 IR is the "Best" sounding thus far?

your Acoustic IR should be first in chain since it is meant to be the tone of the guitar.

Oddly enough, I hadn't tried put everything AFTER the IR so thanks for this suggestion...completely makes sense, yet I didn't even think of it! I would love to put my acoustic through the AX8 just still haven't found a sound that I really like yet so I'm hoping this will help a little.

I think this sounds pretty nice man and I'm listening through crappy laptop speakers right now - nice work! I'm particularly interested in how strumming sounds - and I think you did a pretty good job here.

Back
Top Bottom