[Video] AX8 tutorial: Make tone matches and transfer to AX8

Smittefar

Axe-Master
In this video, I show how to use Reaper, Mfreeformequalizer (MeldaProductions), Voxengo Deconvolver and AX8edit to create a tonematch, extract the Impulse Response (IR) and load it onto your AX8.

I Tone Matched the DI signal from my acoustic guitar (Martin OM42) to a mic'ed signal from the same guitar. I used the same performance for the tone match, but the process is exactly the same, if you have different performances, or even if you tone match from one guitar to the other. But when you tone match from an acoustic to an electric guitar, the result is a bit more unpredictable. This is (probably) the reason, I still prefer @Moke's acoustic simulations over my own tone matches.

Anyway, here's the video. It is 20 minutes long, but I cover a lot of ground. I want to apologize for a cold that was bugging me, when I did the recording.

Here is a link to a zip file (45 MB) containing my mic'ed recording, and the three tone matches created in this video. Use the mic'ed recording, if you want to tone match your own guitar to my guitar.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5cnwazgfu8ebdu/ToneMatch.zip?dl=0

In the video I talk about the all important ToneMatch EQ. I use MFreeFormEqualizer, which is around $50. I have never been able to find a free one, but other paid options could be Voxengo CurveEQ (~$50, it is a spline EQ, so it will never get to the resolution of the Melda one. I guess it's highest resolution is like Melda with Smoothing on 5 or so), and the really $$$ options from Izotope Ozone and Fabfilter. I believe Logic has a built-in MatchEQ that could be used, but I never tried Logic.

Back
Top Bottom