Neal Schon GoT

I tried it. Good tone but very dark sounding for my taste. Guessing this is a live only tone where it is being run thru massive PAs. Also, the amount of noise on the Reverse Delay tone was way too much.
My experience as well. Of course I’m not cranking it to reach the rafters!

I tried it. Good tone but very dark sounding for my taste. Guessing this is a live only tone where it is being run thru massive PAs. Also, the amount of noise on the Reverse Delay tone was way too much.
Yes I get that too. Was thinking it's my pickups being too hot. Maybe Neal's guitar pups are low output.?

I wonder if his expression pedal for the delay/reverb feeds is linear or audio taper. I tapered the EV2's linear response to a roughly 20% taper with the slope and center value settings and it comes on a bit more smoothly....

Yes I get that too. Was thinking it's my pickups being too hot. Maybe Neal's guitar pups are low output.?
Yep - could be. I was using a Jackson Soloist with a JB in the bridge that is set fairly low. Probably a bit hotter than what NS uses. Closest guitar I have to his usual Les Paul is a PRS single cut with stock low output pickups. I will try that guitar when I get back home. Many of these GoT presets, while they sound fantastic and are amazing, are pretty dark sounding and I believe they are meant for live use at CRANKED volumes. I mostly use my Axe to record, so for me they are a bit dark. Great gift from the Fractal team and it really allows me the chance to see how pros actually dial in their tones. A win for everybody.

I find it amusing that some are not believing these 'basic' presets are what the artists are really using. I've never bought into the 'tone is in the fingers', but I do agree that style and musicality is in the fingers. You get out of them what you put into them. It ain't the arrow that's the issue.

Of all the amps in the Axe, the JVM is one that never gets used. For me there are a plethora of better sounding options.
This GOT not for me either but I do fully appreciate any offer like this from a very generous company.

I'm new to Fractal but I really like this preset. I did have to clean some things up for my own use. More specifically, the levels on the delay and reverb I changed the tapers and levels so it was still present on heel down ( not bone dry ) and not too extreme or to loud on full toe down. The amp tomes seem like great overall useful tones. Its very cool to swell the delay and reverb for the big stadium leads too.

I like the GofT BUT I’d love Neal or someone to do one that replicates his sound from Infinity, Departure and Evolution. Knowing it probably had a lot to do with how it was recorded and where, it still takes me back.

Check out Cooper Carter’s video, he does use one of the scenes demonstrating a convincing rendition of Lights. So I think the preset does a pretty good job covering the 70’s/80’s period of Journey.

Check out Cooper Carter’s video, he does use one of the scenes demonstrating a convincing rendition of Lights. So I think the preset does a pretty good job covering the 70’s/80’s period of Journey.
It is close. I’m sure that thing I’m talking about was a lot of the studio. When I saw them (first tour with Perry, opening for Montrose with Hagar singing…yeah I’m old) Neal had Peavey Mace heads sitting on top of ragged Marshall cabs and playing an Aria Pro II PE with a Kahler trem…
Think FAS is clamoring to add the vaulted Peavy Mace to the collection?😳

Having some fun with this one!
All the comments about an unimpressive preset really confirm the notion that Tone is in the Fingers!
There is, IMO nothing magical about many presets unless you make it magical. They allow u 2 play through some of the most amazing Amps ever produced along with effects that few music shops could provide off the shelf.
Ive seen some stage Performances that sounded amazing and played through some beaten up old backroom amp that was lying around at the time. Remember Steve lukather saying he and Van halen swapped Guitar rigs once. He said Van Halen sounded like Van Halen through his rig and he sounded like himself when he played through VHs guitar set-up LOL.
Thanks FAS and CC.

Man this is a fun preset to play on!! I'm updating my presets to use that input gain thing on pedal 2 for reverb and delay - that's an awesome tip!

Back
Top Bottom