Meshuggah lead tone (Fredrik Thordendal)

:shock:
Fuck man...
Where's the "drool" emoticon?
Post that sucka (the patch, I mean) :)
Was very impressed with your recent Holdsworth patch and this ups the respect even more.
Getting the ultimate Meshuggah tone has been my quest since I first got the Axe.
Am getting in the ballpark with their heavy rhythm tone (using a variation on the "djent" recipe of the FAS modern with German 4X12 cabs...although I'd be extremely interested to hear what you come up with for a heavy patch given your success with emulation so far...), but for the lead tone I hadn't come close until your Holdsworth patch and was actually using that. But this new one is definitely really close.

Thanx for feedback, guys. :)
I will post patch later... BTW its not difficult one. I found old podxt meshuggah patches and dig some info about their sound concept. This particular patch is dry high gain (tube pedal + soldano), no eq and chorus after the cab. All wet processing (delays (aka AH), reverb) comes from DAW. The main thing is laying in the mix (vol, pan, eq, reverb, comp...) :!:

>although I'd be extremely interested to hear what you come up with for a heavy patch
I wanna try their rhythm tone also but has no 7/8 string guitar yet.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Dang! Agreed please share patch! This sounds awesome!

I wish i had a 7/8 string that i could try to come up with a rhythm tone like theirs, but i don't have one.
I'd venture that the FAS Modern + German cab would get you in the general area, but not quite there.
I may sit down tonight and try to see what i can do for a rhythm tone if i have some time.

Here is the patch i made in editor, i hope this is an equivalent (my midi still doesnt work) :(
I recorded new solo demo, so you can compare it with your home sound. All delays in DAW, you can hear how i disable/enable it in the sample. Good Luck!
magoga_mesh.mp3 - 720.8 Kb

P.S.
And this is just another take that i recorded two days ago:
magoga_mesh2.mp3 - 1.3 Mb

Attachments

• magoga_mesh.syx
    2 KB · Views: 508
magoga said:
Here is the patch i made in editor
Champion.
magoga said:
And this is just another take that i recorded two days ago
Nice work.
magoga said:
I wanna try their rhythm tone also but has no 7/8 string guitar yet.
Heads-up, if you do get a 7 or 8 string, go for an extended scale model. A 30" scale is best to be able to handle low F tuning, like Meshuggah use.
It keeps the strings sufficiently tight without using stupidly thick string gauges (a 0.70 for the low F string will be sufficient).
Pitch shifters are definitely not an option unless you only ever play single notes.

soularflair said:
Heads-up, if you do get a 7 or 8 string, go for an extended scale model. A 30" scale is best to be able to handle low F tuning, like Meshuggah use.
It keeps the strings sufficiently tight without using stupidly thick string gauges (a 0.70 for the low F string will be sufficient).
Pitch shifters are defintiley not an option unless you only ever play single notes.

Thanx for advice. Btw recently i saw one topic here with good samples off Meshuggah rhythm tone...

Hey magoga,

Can you try your hand at a "Destroy Erase Improve" era Thordendal lead patch? Like in the track "Future Breed machine"?
Your original is great for his Sol Niger Within album but sounds a little too processed and perhaps overdriven for use in some of the other earlier Meshuggah albums.
While I use your Holdsworth patch for that purpose at present, I'm wagering you could get close :cool:

Ok, I will listen closer to this particular sound. Current patch is good for blending with heavy riffs - its too sharp for Thordendal "ballads" sound. BTW recently i change amp to RECTO RED in AH patch, its closer for my ears. :)
Is there any meshuggah backings tracks? it will helps. :?:

magoga said:
Ok, I will listen closer to this particular sound. Current patch is good for blending with heavy riffs - its too sharp for Thordendal "ballads" sound. BTW recently i change amp to RECTO RED in AH patch, its closer for my ears. :)
Is there any meshuggah backings tracks? it will helps. :?:
Well, there's this for "Future Breed Machine" (www.songsterr.com/a/wa/song?trackPos=2&id=13389).
The instruments don't sound even close to real but the timing is adequate and you can mute the instruments you don't want (in this case, the solo guitar). I've found it useful in some instances to practice songs.
There may be other backing tracks I'm unaware of.

And will try the recto red for the AH patch.

Listen today what i recorded yesterday :| - it needs to be more tweeked - my sound too sharp an not round enougth :!:

Here is a patch and new solo demo. Its diffent from previous example - its more round. I have my instrumental input on 12 clock, so maybe change output and gate settings. Also try to tweak PEQ. Good luck! :ugeek:
mmm6.mp3 - 1.6 Mb[attachment=0:1ygrjk6k]magoga-mesh2.syx[/attachment:1ygrjk6k]

Attachments

• magoga-mesh2.syx
    2 KB · Views: 304
magoga said:
Here is a patch and new solo demo. Its diffent from previous example - its more round. I have my instrumental input on 12 clock, so maybe change output and gate settings. Also try to tweak PEQ. Good luck! :ugeek:
mmm6.mp3 - 1.6 Mb[attachment=0:2glt3dbg]magoga-mesh2.syx[/attachment:2glt3dbg]
Big thanks :cool:

Magoga,
I forgot if you mentioned it somewhere already, but do you have a Standard or an Ultra?
And can you play the solo to New Millenium Cyanide Christ?
I'm learning it at present but am still at ~110bpm for it (it's at 151bpm normally, I believe...).
Thing is though, even at that speed, I don't know whether it's cause my technique sucks or because Fredrik uses something that filters out double notes (possibly that "33" breath controller of his and the Clavia Nord Modular G2, I think...)...but using your patch (which still sounds great, btw) it's really fucking hard to make every single note sound only by itself.
I'm wondering if a version of the patch could be made, that still sounded close to what you've done so far, but that utilised the synth block, and hence have the ability to be monophonic, to get more separation between the tapped notes.
But of course that depends on if you have an Ultra...

Back
Top Bottom