Low Output Pickups

I also believe that high output pickups are based on penis based marketing, psycho analysis, throbbing machismo hormonal balancing, anger, and freudian word choices. But that's just me of course. (sorry, I couldn't help myself). ;)

Last edited:
I also believe that high output pickups are based on penis based marketing, psycho analysis, throbbing machismo hormonal balancing, anger, and freudian word choices. But that's just me of course. (sorry, I couldn't help myself)

Is that why you have an Epi Les Paul with an SD JB, an LTD with SD Blackouts, and an Ibby RG8 with SD Nazgul & Sentient? All high output pickups. I guess the penis based marketing got to you eh?

I've never been a fan of the descriptions that pickup manufacturers write. They use various adjectives to describe how good the lows, mids and highs are ("soaring," "singing," "punchy," "full"... what's the difference between a soaring high and a singing high?), and they're careful to make sure that their words will appeal to the largest possible audience.

The above description for the Evolution appeals to the guitarist's ego ("...they're not for the inexperienced"). And it contains some meaningless statements ("even the lowest bass notes really jump out of the amp," which describes pretty much every pickup in the world, depending on how you dial in your amp).

Long story short, manufacturer's pickup descriptions read like they were all written by the same guy. Take them with a grain of salt.

That's why you go to their website like Seymour Duncan for instance, and compare the selection they have to offer by their description and sound clips. If that's not enough, there's plenty of forums on the subject. Unless you're looking for some rare boutique pickup that nobody has ever heard of. It would be a good thing that descriptions were all written by the same guy as long as he's good with adjectives.;) This way you'd get the opinion of one guy and say 1000 pickups, instead of a bunch of guys with different opinions. Take that with a grain of salt. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, I do have a penis.

So you've confirmed you're a male, that wasn't the question but ok...

The Nazgul and Sentient are lower output for high gain amps.

...and I bet they sound great, especially with the Nazgul's (bridge pup) dc resistance at 13.6K. When you say lower output, lower than what? A Dimarzio X2N? I'd hardly call that a "low" output pickup. I wouldn't call the Sentient low neither at 7.8K, that's about average for neck pickups, certainly not low. You probably should have went with the Pegasus/Sentient combo if you wanted something with lower output. The Pegasus's DCR is 12.5K with an Alnico 5 magnet, oh but wait, i bet you like the ceramics for that 7 string sting. Whatever, go talk about your penis with your friends.

In the ignorance of my youth I remember salesmen in music stores would always always make a comment as you were playing a guitar you were interested about how “hot the pickups were” as if it was the main feature of the guitar. I remember buying an early Kramer Flying V with a Floyd without finetuners because I fell for that (I was 16 and had no clue)

I have Gibson T-top (79 I think) sitting on my shelf to this day that I never put in a guitar because I “knew” it was low output. Got it from a buddies older brother who took it out of an explorer to make room for a set of invaders. He told me I could have it because it was “too weak to play heavy rock”....

Of course now I know better, but I’ve never actually tried it. This thread may change that.

Is that why you have an Epi Les Paul with an SD JB, an LTD with SD Blackouts, and an Ibby RG8 with SD Nazgul & Sentient? All high output pickups. I guess the penis based marketing got to you eh?

I reckon he was just making a joke. Probably should have added a winking smilie, but still a joke.

I reckon he was just making a joke. Probably should have added a winking smilie, but still a joke.

Didn't seem like a joke to me, I agree a winking smilie would have helped, but he sounded just like Coldstar earlier in this thread. I happen to like many of the high output offerings, as well as medium and low, but the ones I've tried I didn't like very much, i.e. the Seth Lovers or the Classic 57's. Granted that's only a couple and I never tried them through the Axe Fx III ;), but I'd still like to try some Carvin C22's. Segue... Sorry but I don't take kindly to folks unnecessarily bashing high output pickups.

Sorry to the OP, I've said enough I think, unless you need to install them yourself ;). My apologies for taking exception to uncalled for statements. Hope you got the info you're looking for. :)

Last edited:
Look, I was joking around about Coldstar's post. but obviously that isn't a good idea. I miss spoke about the 8 strings p/us they are Pegasus/Sentient I've come to desire low output pickups in my old age. I think there might be some suppressed anger here and I don't appreciate it being aimed at me. Sorry for causing any trouble.

Shattuck Out

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom