Just ordered these ASI IEM buds with built in mics......................

Did you ever get to try these out?
Not yet again and may just return. I don't like a 3nd pack to wear and I can't use my triple driver customs(as you have to use their IE's. I play out next on the 17th and if I can try it then again, I will. Depends on return window.

Ok used the ASI device this past Saturday. They were amazing. I ran stereo out 2 from AX3 to input of my Mipro IEM system. Then just used the out 2 knob to dial that in. Then you just blead in whatever you want the mics in ears to be. Simple and I was happy to have my sound and still be able to talk and hear and everything as how is when not using in ears. I do backups vocals and I was able to sing without straining to hear pitch. Felt effortless to sing. I think I may keep. Still trying to decide.

Last edited:
Ok used the ASI device this past Saturday. They were amazing. I ran stereo out 2 from AX3 to input of my Mipro IEM system. Then just used the out 2 knob to dial that in. Then you just blead in whatever you want the mics in ears to be. Simple and I was happy to have my sound and still be able to talk and hear and everything as how is when not using in ears. I do backups vocals and I was able to sing without straining to hear pitch. Felt effortless to sing. I think I may keep. Still trying to decide.
Did you decide yet? I had a bit of an epiphany last night. I’m usually very content with my in ears since it makes me feel like I’m in my own little musical world which I enjoy. However, at my gig last night, for the last song my band played Man in the Box. I love that song so I took my IEMs out for it to feel all the volume. It was so so so awesome to go from isolation to all that volume at the very end for only a few minutes.

Is that essentially the point of these? So you can hear what’s going on in the main PA speakers and monitors (if being used) as well as your own isolated in ears? If yes, that would be really tempting.

Nice! I will own a set of these in the near future.

Did you decide yet? I had a bit of an epiphany last night. I’m usually very content with my in ears since it makes me feel like I’m in my own little musical world which I enjoy. However, at my gig last night, for the last song my band played Man in the Box. I love that song so I took my IEMs out for it to feel all the volume. It was so so so awesome to go from isolation to all that volume at the very end for only a few minutes.

Is that essentially the point of these? So you can hear what’s going on in the main PA speakers and monitors (if being used) as well as your own isolated in ears? If yes, that would be really tempting.
I think I may keep as it just makes setting up your ears for night simple. I set my guitar sound, and then blend how much of the outside I want. DONE. I do wish the custom molds weren't so pricey, but the universals work great.

I think I may keep as it just makes setting up your ears for night simple. I set my guitar sound, and then blend how much of the outside I want. DONE. I do wish the custom molds weren't so pricey, but the universals work great.
But when you say “blend how much of the outside I want,” what are you specifically referring to? Just band mates trying to tell you stuff mid set and some of the sound from the main PA speakers ?

I have a pair and like them, a lot. Besides working with existing IEM systems, they’re really useful when working on a stage without any miked amps, and only vocals in the monitors like jams, where you want to reduce the stage volume to your ears but still have good fidelity. I set their compression to 90, and they pull everything down just right. I can stand next to a loud drummer without flinching, then can sit at the bar and actually hold a conversation with the bartender without hoping to read their lips and guess what they are saying.

I’ve looked for something like these for years, and spent way too much money on various passive earplugs that claimed to retain the fidelity at reduced volume, but failed. These things allow us to adjust the frequency response, volume, compression, and inject an IEM mix if desired.

I swapped the foam tips out for Comply Pro memory-foam tips for a bit better isolation, which also help hold them in place when moving around. We can even get custom molded plugs that accommodate the mics embedded into each side, which might be my next step.

If you’re dealing with volume and the FOH can’t accommodate IEMs, or have IEMs and want to be able to control the ambient sound around you then check them out.

PS- They’re stereo also. Who would have thought that would be of interest. :)

If I remember correctly, you used the Shure Se535’s for awhile right? How do those compare to the ASI iems (not including the ambient mic, talking strictly the quality of tone from the iem)
Different beasts.

The SE535 is good earphone that people use for IEMs, but the extended upper end is almost shrill IMO without some EQ to tame them for use with the modeler. I never use mine for IEMs, only occasionally now for the modeler, mostly when traveling and needing to work on something. (I’m on vacation right now and have the FM3 with me for amusement for instance, but am keeping up with the beta stuff too so they’re getting used.)

The ASI lack that emphasized high end. Maybe it’s something that they EQ’d out, or the mics are tailored to their earphone response, but I keep mine flat or with a 3dB bump at the high end for conversations. The result is that they sound good to me. (Their firmware is really nice. It uses Bluetooth to the control software running on your smart phone, and we can create profiles for different situations and switch between them with a quick tap.)

I’m pretty sure the difference in EQ isn’t a Fletcher-Munson thing because I keep the volume pretty consistent, comfortably loud.

I think they’re both great, and I use the Shures without special EQ for my nightly movie watching and they are like sitting in the center of a big movie theater, but they are different. Dunno how to describe them better because I haven’t tried to tear into the details of the differences, I was so frustrated prior to getting the ASI, and they were so different from my previous experiences that I didn’t slide into analysis mode, I just sighed in relief.

PS- I was going to say that the SE535 might work better as IEM when dealing with vocals and the full band than my experience with only the modeler.

Last edited:
PS- I was going to say that the SE535 might work better as IEM when dealing with vocals and the full band than my experience with only the modeler
Yeah, I only use my SE535 with custom molds when I play live in a full band mix. Occasionally use them for practicing while traveling or something. But in a full band mix, I never noticed any shrill extended upper end. I actually think they’re pretty solid quality IEMs (not like I’ve used a bunch of others lmao), but that’s why I was curious to see how they compare in a full band context to the ASI 3d ambient ones

Yeah, I only use my SE535 with custom molds when I play live in a full band mix. Occasionally use them for practicing while traveling or something. But in a full band mix, I never noticed any shrill extended upper end. I actually think they’re pretty solid quality IEMs (not like I’ve used a bunch of others lmao), but that’s why I was curious to see how they compare in a full band context to the ASI 3d ambient ones
I think, comparing the ASI to a standard IEM system is difficult because they have different goals. The ASI don't have a mixer per-se, they just amplify what each ear hears. An IEM relies on a separate mixer to send a feed to the IEM receiver, which can't track what our ears would be hearing at that moment. But, ASI allows mixing that signal in, so I think it has the advantage as far as flexibility goes.

I think, comparing the ASI to a standard IEM system is difficult because they have different goals. The ASI don't have a mixer per-se, they just amplify what each ear hears. An IEM relies on a separate mixer to send a feed to the IEM receiver, which can't track what our ears would be hearing at that moment. But, ASI allows mixing that signal in, so I think it has the advantage as far as flexibility goes.
Sorry I don’t think I was clear, let me clarify. I use my SE535s for gigs with my MiPro 909 In ear system so the ASI would function the same just with the ambient mic

I hated the SE535s because they lack bottom end - The SE846, on the other hand, I love. They are balanced and have a full audio spectrum. I'm still unsure if my SE535 were duds as I was going to keep them for visiting musicians but nobody liked them, so they are gone.

The SE846 sound (to me) like I'm listening to my music and not my IEMs (not sure that makes sense but it did to me haha)

Thanks
Pauly

Different beasts.

The SE535 is good earphone that people use for IEMs, but the extended upper end is almost shrill IMO without some EQ to tame them for use with the modeler. I never use mine for IEMs, only occasionally now for the modeler, mostly when traveling and needing to work on something. (I’m on vacation right now and have the FM3 with me for amusement for instance, but am keeping up with the beta stuff too so they’re getting used.)

The ASI lack that emphasized high end. Maybe it’s something that they EQ’d out, or the mics are tailored to their earphone response, but I keep mine flat or with a 3dB bump at the high end for conversations. The result is that they sound good to me. (Their firmware is really nice. It uses Bluetooth to the control software running on your smart phone, and we can create profiles for different situations and switch between them with a quick tap.)

I’m pretty sure the difference in EQ isn’t a Fletcher-Munson thing because I keep the volume pretty consistent, comfortably loud.

I think they’re both great, and I use the Shures without special EQ for my nightly movie watching and they are like sitting in the center of a big movie theater, but they are different. Dunno how to describe them better because I haven’t tried to tear into the details of the differences, I was so frustrated prior to getting the ASI, and they were so different from my previous experiences that I didn’t slide into analysis mode, I just sighed in relief.

PS- I was going to say that the SE535 might work better as IEM when dealing with vocals and the full band than my experience with only the modeler.

I hated the SE535s because they lack bottom end ... I was going to keep them for visiting musicians but nobody liked them, so they are gone.

I got rid of my 535s a while ago. I had to EQ them so drastically to get a good sound out of them that I eventually just got sick of it. I don't remember if I still have the preset, but I don't remember them being shrill specifically. I think I remember them being just generally "wrong" sounding. I'd put either version of the Truthear Zero well ahead of them...and they're 1/10th the price. Along with a lot of others.

They were so bad, I didn't even bother trying the 215s or 845s. I'm just not convinced I like the same sound that Shure does (for in-ears...mics are a different story).

I hated the SE535s because they lack bottom end
I think that is tied to not getting a good seal in the ear canals. Once the memory foam tips expand, after about 10 seconds, I have very good lows. That will change if I bump them but reseating them will fix it. Generally, once they’re in they’re fine for hours.

The ASI software that runs on the phone has a built-in utility that alternates low and high frequency tones of equal volume so we can confirm the fit. Once the tips expand those have good lows too.

Ok. Returning them. Played Saturday and there was pumping going on. I had turned compressor off, but it sounded like it was on and with bad ratio. Took em off and cranked stage and drowned in the glory! The double pack was annoying, price $800, universal earpiece, and this unit operating wonky.......makes it a pass. Concept cool. But not ready for prime time, yet.......

These look like an awesome "solution". Bummer to hear your negative experience Tremonti! Are the rest of you still happy with them? I absolutely LOVE my 64 audio IEM's, but really like the idea of being able to mix in ambience mics.

Back
Top Bottom