Is triggered single-shot LFO controller action possible?

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
Is triggered single-shot LFO controller action possible?

Looking to control delay feedback, with a momentary switch somehow, so that it increases for a few seconds, then reverts to its previous setting afterwards automatically, without having to hold the switch on, as if the control switch triggered one cycle of an LFO tied to the feedback knob.

I tried using the sequencer, but I guess I don't get how it operates.

try using a momentary pedal, but set the damping value high where you have it attached to feedback and adjust the curve so you get the behaviour you want

You could try CS toggling an arched (start mid end = 0, 100, 0) feedback modifier with some damping. Scale & offset values allow some control over duration of ramp up/down vs. max value holding.

A similar modifier could instead run LFO/seq for one cycle/sequence. This would allow more control over the rise/fall rates via (triangle or trapezoid) LFO duty % or the sequencer pattern.

An ADSR can also be triggered in "once" mode with a modifier to drop threshold briefly from 0 dB to minimum (-80 dB IIRC), as long as there's at least a little input signal/noise at the time.

LFO is probably the best choice for medium/slower ramps when you want them to sound as smooth as possible. More details on problems with damping & ADSRs here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/constant-rate-modifier-damping.147620/

You could try CS toggling an arched (start mid end = 0, 100, 0) feedback modifier with some damping. Scale & offset values allow some control over duration of ramp up/down vs. max value holding.

A similar modifier could instead run LFO/seq for one cycle/sequence. This would allow more control over the rise/fall rates via (triangle or trapezoid) LFO duty % or the sequencer pattern.

An ADSR can also be triggered in "once" mode with a modifier to drop threshold briefly from 0 dB to minimum (-80 dB IIRC), as long as there's at least a little input signal/noise at the time.

LFO is probably the best choice for medium/slower ramps when you want them to sound as smooth as possible. More details on problems with damping & ADSRs here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/constant-rate-modifier-damping.147620/

Duh. I really need to set things down and try again with fresh eyes, sometimes, especially late at night.

Will try these all after work, but I suspect the first one will git 'er dun....

Thanks!

Ok, so here's what worked:

Switch controls Run/Stop on LFO #2. set to Trapezoid with 99% duty cycle and 1.3 Hz cycle rate for quick-ish response.
Screen%20Shot%202019-07-15%20at%207.40.29%20PM.png

Delay Master Feedback set to listen to LFO 2A, set as below to get a quick jump to 100% and the nifty shelf at the top 50% or so of the range.
Screen%20Shot%202019-07-15%20at%207.40.50%20PM.png

With a momentary switch, a short-ish press gets it up over the hump and then the 4200mS release time makes it hang there for a bit then drop back off. If you stand on the thing, it wanders around between the upper right corner and about where you see the dot here in this photo, which changes the outcome at the Delay Master Feedback knob so little you really won't notice, and then takes 4.2 seconds to release after you finally step off.
Screen%20Shot%202019-07-15%20at%207.41.07%20PM.png

Looks like a good delay repeats flourish on a tap switch to me, with added bonus delay repeat and grow feature for as long as you stand on it (and about 2.5 or so seconds more before the Feedback drops off enough for the delay repeats to start dying. Adjust the Max to taste, every different delay patch will have a top setting that gets you effectively infinite hold on the repeats, and going beyond that gives you delay repeats swell....

Thanks to @Bakerman and @simeon for the input!

I'm already maxed out, and I was looking for something I could tap & go on to other things, and have a chunk of repeats floating out there over the change in the arrangement....

very nice

it's also got me hip to the fact the that III doesn't have a "damping" parameter, like the II does. i'm so far out of the loop, i think i should stop commenting on these III threads...

very nice

it's also got me hip to the fact the that III doesn't have a "damping" parameter, like the II does. i'm so far out of the loop, i think i should stop commenting on these III threads...
Yeah, we have separate attack and decay settings.

You should get a III, it's a great piece of gear....

K, so I programmed this completely without an audio test, and decided to tweak the Master Feedback "Mid" from 99% to 100%, and to drop the "Release" down to 2300mS after actually play-testing it tonight.

This setup is a great way to trigger a long delay tail at the end of a solo or other arrangement change, while not tying my foot up to cut it back off, and freeing it up to hit the next scene button or whatever else. It's different from poking at the "Delay Hold" switch in that the delay continues to take input, so you can be hanging that last note out there and vibrato-ing the living daylights out of it, and pushing more sound into the delay tail before you let it taper back off to the base feedback percentage. It could probably go even shorter on the "Release" without the LFO causing the dot to wander off the 100% shelf at the top/right portion of the curve, if more immediate decay was necessary.

I can think of a bunch of other effects where a similar control tweaking action could be handy, too.

This might work well enough without the LFO if you're going to hold the switch. Set CS as feedback modifier source, adjust attack time.

You could also try a separate delay or plex delay if there's enough CPU for it. Modify input gain instead of feedback. This will let the note(s) decay more gradually at any feedback value.

This might work well enough without the LFO if you're going to hold the switch. Set CS as feedback modifier source, adjust attack time.

You could also try a separate delay or plex delay if there's enough CPU for it. Modify input gain instead of feedback. This will let the note(s) decay more gradually at any feedback value.

Summon a birch, you're right. No LFO needed. Just tried it. Cool, thanks! Actually works a tad better without involving the LFO. The Attack parameter works great for setting the switch-on time, so that it ramps up or clicks on like a switch....

:cool:

I had considered the second delay line idea as well, but the design challenge I set before myself (and the folks who helped me figure out a way to get there) was a way to work within just the one, and to get that sort of a quick-open, slow-close response out of the control switching.

Certainly the same approach could be taken with just ramping up the input of a second delay and then all sorts of neat stuff could happen.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom