Implemented Constant-rate modifier damping

Bakerman

Axe-Master
Currently the modifier damping system slows down continuously approaching the target value. This sounds less than ideal for many things, and makes it impossible to emulate turning a knob at a steady rate. Adjusting the modifier shape might get close enough in one direction, but that makes it even worse in the other direction.

It would be nice to have the option of a steady rate. Set maximum travel time to 1 second and it would go from 0-20% in 200 ms, 0-50% in 500 ms, etc.

The volume block's auto-swell mode also uses modifier-style damping, and it makes every taper increase very quickly then slow down greatly. "5" on the (unseen) volume control is reached in about 1/7 of the total swell time swell instead of halfway. The tapers are almost indistinguishable from each other with slight tweaking of attack time. The total swell duration is several times that of the displayed attack time. It would probably be less confusing if attack time = swell time. A few inverse log options might be worth including, for more ideal versions of the current auto-swell curves.

YTQot96.png

I'll just add ADSR shapes to this thread. Each stage has a curve like a damped modifier and it interferes with getting good results most of the time. Linear change would be more usable. Even better is a shape control for each stage.

The release stage also takes several times the displayed value. If it says x ms I'd expect the value to reach 0% x ms later.

AsyxVMa.png

I get why the existing damping takes longer than the displayed value, being a time constant. Not so sure I'd want to change that, but I can see the value in having linear tapers with endpoint displayed.

+1 to the whole lot. I use these fairly often to create a "delay spike" function I can tap to get a flurry of echoes on a particular note or passage, which can be good for covering/enhancing transtions in the arrangement (i.e., to CYA with a little flurry of echoes at the end of the solo while you get into position for the verse/chorus/whatever that follows it). More transition curve options would be a great thing.... :)

Currently the modifier damping system slows down continuously approaching the target value. This sounds less than ideal for many things, and makes it impossible to emulate turning a knob at a steady rate. Adjusting the modifier shape might get close enough in one direction, but that makes it even worse in the other direction.

It would be nice to have the option of a steady rate. Set maximum travel time to 1 second and it would go from 0-20% in 200 ms, 0-50% in 500 ms, etc.

The volume block's auto-swell mode also uses modifier-style damping, and it makes every taper increase very quickly then slow down greatly. "5" on the (unseen) volume control is reached in about 1/7 of the total swell time swell instead of halfway. The tapers are almost indistinguishable from each other with slight tweaking of attack time. The total swell duration is several times that of the displayed attack time. It would probably be less confusing if attack time = swell time. A few inverse log options might be worth including, for more ideal versions of the current auto-swell curves.

YTQot96.png
+1

Well....the damping system is kind of missleading, and there is no way to work with it properlly as you can‘t calculate it pricesly.
Or am I wrong?

Well....the damping system is kind of missleading, and there is no way to work with it properlly as you can‘t calculate it pricesly.
Or am I wrong?
Just because it doesn't do it the way you want doesn't mean it doesn't work.
Could it be improved? Definitely - as shown by this well written wish.

I want damping that can be modified with a modifier, or better yet, that can be varied (positively or negatively) with the rate of change of the parameter being damped. I'd love to be able to decrease the damping time as I increase the rate of change of a parameter.

Back
Top Bottom