is there something wrong/does this sound normal - odd distortion

dschaaf

Experienced
Hi Guys,

I am just wanting to confirm if this is normal as this distortion seems odd to me and I want to ensure that there isn't something wrong. I am getting a strange sizzle/distortion on a lot of factory presets as well as any I create that utilize cleaner tones. Most the factory fenders and I just noticed it on the Atomica which defaults to "high but when I went to scene # 2 "low" for the cleaner tone and I have the output 1 set to -5db. On the meter it was well below the zero mark before it goes red. My level for input 1 is set to 45% and I am using a Gibson es-335 with '57's. I get similar results with various guitars etc.

It just doesn't sound right to me as the distortion/sizzle just abruptly cuts out and I have had both my Axe FX II and AX8 and have never noticed anything like this. It sounds to me like something is being overdriven and clipping but it is nowhere near clipping.

Thanks,
D

Last edited:
Hi, I have set the output 1 block to -5db. The horizontal line is the highest the meters go up to while playing. Thx
Thanks for the clarification. Hmm, it doesn’t sound quite right to me, but there could be a number of easy explanations. Some others will chime in I’m sure.

Hi Guys,

I am just wanting to confirm if this is normal as this distortion seems odd to me and I want to ensure that there isn't something wrong. I am getting a strange sizzle/distortion on a lot of factory presets as well as any I create that utilize cleaner tones. Most the factory fenders and I just noticed it on the Atomica which defaults to "high but when I went to scene # 2 "low" for the cleaner tone and I have the output 1 set to -5db. On the meter it was well below the zero mark before it goes red. My level for input 1 is set to 45% and I am using a Gibson es-335 with '57's. I get similar results with various guitars etc.

It just doesn't sound right to me as the distortion/sizzle just abruptly cuts out and I have had both my Axe FX II and AX8 and have never noticed anything like this. It sounds to me like something is being overdriven and clipping but it is nowhere near clipping.

Thanks,
D

A couple things..... I'm reading your input is set to 45%....if you strum a chord, does the light on the unit hit red? I have mine set at 10% because I found it was the spot where my hottest output guitars wouldn't hit red.

My other guess is maybe your amp block is clipping. Lower the Level of the amp a good amount, and then raise it on the Output block and see if that helps.

A couple things..... I'm reading your input is set to 45%....if you strum a chord, does the light on the unit hit red? I have mine set at 10% because I found it was the spot where my hottest output guitars wouldn't hit red.

My other guess is maybe your amp block is clipping. Lower the Level of the amp a good amount, and then raise it on the Output block and see if that helps.

Hey Milo, let me first say that I love your videos and you are an absolutely incredible player!!!

When I strum hard I am not causing the input lights to clip. If I strum really really hard I can get it to just barely tickle the red. I have tried lowering the input down to 10 to 20% and it didn't get rid of the sizzle/distortion/fizz.

I have also checked my amp block and it is coming in right where it should be on the meter on the grid.... which I think is right around zero (?) or roughly 70% along the meter bar. To note as well, these are the same guitars that I had the input set to 60%-65% on the Axe FX II.

Just curious if something does sound off? I had another clip that I done earlier but I believe it was suggested that that was the normal sound.... again having had both the Axe FX II and AX8, I have never heard this before.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/distortion-on-lower-volume.137622/#post-1632297

Thanks,
D

since we on the forum can't know for sure, maybe start a ticket at support.fractalaudio.com and link to both threads.

Hey Milo, let me first say that I love your videos and you are an absolutely incredible player!!!

When I strum hard I am not causing the input lights to clip. If I strum really really hard I can get it to just barely tickle the red. I have tried lowering the input down to 10 to 20% and it didn't get rid of the sizzle/distortion/fizz.

I have also checked my amp block and it is coming in right where it should be on the meter on the grid.... which I think is right around zero (?) or roughly 70% along the meter bar. To note as well, these are the same guitars that I had the input set to 60%-65% on the Axe FX II.

Just curious if something does sound off? I had another clip that I done earlier but I believe it was suggested that that was the normal sound.... again having had both the Axe FX II and AX8, I have never heard this before.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/distortion-on-lower-volume.137622/#post-1632297

Thanks,
D
Thanks bro!! Good luck with that. What amp are you using?

Hi Rex, not all but quite a few and particularly the Fenders. What is interesting that I looked up some clips on youtube of some Fenders and low and behold, that same sizzle IS in fact there. Maybe the III and the new firmware replicate things so accurately that I just never noticed it before.

you can hear it a bit here at the beginning

as well as here particularly when the tone controls are turned up at 2:40

I re-tested and turned the tone controls down a bit to match the videos and much of the sizzle went away. It also went away as I rolled back the volume on the guitar.

SO, everything may be absolutely fine after all!

Thanks,
D

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks Cliff! It was actually fascinating to find that the video's of the Fenders had this quality at certain knob settings....just like in the III. What an absolutely amazing piece of gear you have created!!! :)

Thanks,
D

My immediate reaction to the sound cloudclip was, "Yep. That's what the amp sounds like."

Blocking distortion occurs in older designs due to grid conduction. The grid gets forward biased which causes a net offset to develop on the coupling capacitor which, in turn, shifts the bias point. Modern designs incorporate various means of mitigating this (grid stoppers, for example). Some bias excursion is desirable though as without it the distortion can be "sterile".

Blocking distortion occurs in older designs due to grid conduction. The grid gets forward biased which causes a net offset to develop on the coupling capacitor which, in turn, shifts the bias point. Modern designs incorporate various means of mitigating this (grid stoppers, for example). Some bias excursion is desirable though as without it the distortion can be "sterile".

awesome info, thank you!

Hi Rex, not all but quite a few and particularly the Fenders. What is interesting that I looked up some clips on youtube of some Fenders and low and behold, that same sizzle IS in fact there. Maybe the III and the new firmware replicate things so accurately that I just never noticed it before.

you can hear it a bit here at the beginning

as well as here particularly when the tone controls are turned up at 2:40

I re-tested and turned the tone controls down a bit to match the videos and much of the sizzle went away. It also went away as I rolled back the volume on the guitar.

SO, everything may be absolutely fine after all!

Thanks,
D

That’s why I asked. :). Some amps can sound that way. Glad you got it sorted.

Back
Top Bottom