distortion on lower volume

dschaaf

Experienced
Hi,

Just got my III and I am noticing a distortion through both headphones and through my studio monitors from many presets with the volume fairly low....9:00-9:30 on output 1.

I have the I/O set at 50% and the levels for the preset are at 0dB. Even when strumming really hard the red is rarely coming on in the input LED's. I have a II and and AX8 and have never noticed this before (obviously no headphones on the AX8) even with the exact same settings on similar amps etc.

What is odd is that if I turn the volume up 11:30-12:00 is seems to go away...or I can't hear it as much.

Trying to upload a sample - hopefully this works :)

Thanks,
Derek

Last edited:
If you dial in your preset so the tone is completely clean, the distortion will go away. :)

the levels for the preset are at 0dB.
what does this mean exactly? specifically what "level" is set there?

turn down the input gain in the amp block. does the distortion disappear?

the Axe-Fx II and AX8 are based off the same code and modeling. the Axe-Fx III is different, so it may react differently with your guitar compared to the other units.

this audio clip sounds normal to me.

Thanks Chris,

I had meant to say that the output levels are right where they should be. It seems more like a audio distortion and not a distortion (desirable) from the amp

Thanks
Derek

the Axe-Fx II and AX8 are based off the same code and modeling. the Axe-Fx III is different, so it may react differently with your guitar compared to the other units.

Hi Rex,

It seemed like all levels were appropriate and what is odd is that when I turn the output up, the distortion disappears and the preset sounds clean.... but louder.

Thanks
D

I mean post a clip of the distortion, followed by the distortion cleaning up at higher volume.

Hi Rex,

I listened more closely on the louder output clips this morning (sorry didn't have time to record before work) and the distortion is still present but LESS noticeable overall as it blends into the background more with the higher volume.

It does this for example on the first 8-10 stock presets. I haven't made any adjustments to the presets and have tired various guitars. Just seems like there is distortion/almost static that shouldn't be there. Wanting to make sure that there isn't something that needs to be looked at :)

Thanks,
D

Thanks Chris,

If the clip sounds normal than maybe I am just mistaken.

Thanks for taking a listen.

D

Hi Rex,

I listened more closely on the louder output clips this morning (sorry didn't have time to record before work) and the distortion is still present but LESS noticeable overall as it blends into the background more with the higher volume.
Real tube amps have that same “fizz” when they’re pushed into distortion. It’s just that, when you hear it on a real amp, you’re usually cranking it at loud volume, where your brain accepts it as “part of the loud.” In a full mix, that fizz sounds like clarity, and it helps your guitar cut through the mix.

Last edited:
Real tube amps have that same “fizz” when they’re pushed into distortion. It’s just that, when you hear it on a real amp, you’re usually cranking it at loud volume, where your brain accepts it as “part of the loud.” In a full mic, that fizz sounds like clarity, and it helps your guitar cut through the mix.
Awesome information and that totally makes sense! Thanks Rex :)

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom