Is there a consensus headphone choice?

The listing has expired for me, but if you just search ebay for "blue mo-fi mofi / sadie / lola / ella earphone earpads" you should get loads of hits.

They come from China but they seem to be decent quality and mine have lasted longer than the originals and not had any flaking off.

View attachment 107478
And you literally just pop these over the original headphone?

I don't know why, but I have several pairs of Blue headphones that have been used heavily for many years and the foam is just fine.

I wonder if there was a bad batch, or maybe something environmental that causes them to degrade. But mine ended up just fabric, pretty much all the faux leather flaked off. It was annoying cos the flaked off bits of black faux leather got everywhere.

I wonder if some of us have more or less abrasive ears.

All of it comes off, even round the sides, bits that don't touch the ears, so it's not ears causing it, I think it's just a bad batch that Blue got. Could be sweat though I guess.

Last edited:
haha....I like that.

For me I wish it was a 'cool look' rather than just me being lazy about shaving.

Haha! Yup. It's hard to convince my teenage son that is janky facial hair needs to be shaved when my face looks like
it does most of the time. :)

Serious question. Do you use any hair gel or other product that might react with the faux leather?

All of it comes off, even round the sides, bits that don't touch the ears, so it's not ears causing it, I think it's just a bad batch that Blue got. Could be sweat though I guess.
The flaking and getting a unit with a bad switch made me think their QA is terrible, or, someone bought their old stock and surplus parts and put together a bunch of the headphones and sold them. Out of four pair I bought two were garbage one is so-so and the ones I use are good.

I just ordered and received my Blue Mix-Fi. They came out of the factory sealed box with wear on both earpads. They sound amazing, but it definitely was a disappointment.

After adding my 2 cents on a wishlist item for more powerful parametric equalizers for the AF3, I did a search and found this post discussing the Blue Mix-Fi. It's already pretty flat, but if you need the absolute flattest sound the AF3 can provide, then try these Global Parametric Equalizer settings that I use (Output 1 for headphones). It works great with both the Mix-Fi amplifier settings "Off" or "On" since those are nearly identical except for higher volume, but the "On+" setting won't be flat anymore.

Blue Mix-Fi EQ Settings.JPG

Blue Mix-Fi Pre-PEQ.jpg
Blue Mix-Fi Post-PEQ.jpg

This might help to get your presets to match FOH/FRFR cabs assuming those are properly flat. Note that this was just an adjustment for my particular Blue Mix-Fi headphones. Yours may be different or it may work great. I'd love to hear either way. Remember to remove the Global PEQ settings when not using the Blue Mix-Fi headphones.

Last edited:
Three pages in, I think we can answer the original question; no, there is not a consensus about headphones. Personal experimentation is probably best.

Personally, I like the headphones by Blue microphones. They can be nice and loud, they are big sounding, and they are accurate enough that I can trust them to translate.

https://www.bluemic.com/en-us/
Agreed.

I’ve owned a few … lol

Just order the new OA S5x … we shall see if they live up to the expectations!

Looking at my Blue Mofi and it's coming off more on the sides than the part that touches your face. The other interesting fact here is - I have barely used them. Probably less than 20 times. I keep them in a case to make sure my kids don't touch them either. The pads just seem to have rotted away. Maybe it was a bad batch like others mentioned.
I just ordered a set of Slate VSX. I need phones for mixing more than I do for playing through my Axe.

Back
Top Bottom