Is there a consensus headphone choice?

The Ollo S4x are on my short list for my next gear purchase. I don't think I've seen a single negative review of them (which is quite unusual for headphones).
I’d like to try the Ollo’s myself. Lot of money for phones though. The wife would be annoyed lol. I spend most of my playing time at night on phones. I have the Sennheiser 58x and I like them, but the curve I’m using isn’t perfect. It’s a one size fits all of the same model, not an individual calibration. Is there really $100 bucks of difference between the 4x and 5x? Anyone tried both?
I owned and used both for a couple years each and the S5X is my main headphone now. The 4 has a slight high end roll off and the 5 is more open back so it has more of the character associated with open back headphones. Either are perfectly adequate but for something like this I use for hours per day when I’m not on the road, it’s worth spending a little more for the most accuracy when I have to work on headphones. Not spending 5x for that other brand mentioned above. I already have IEMs in that price range for live, and for critical listening at home I have studio monitors and acoustic treatment.

Last edited:
Not my intention to derail this thread but there is so much headphone knowledge here I have a quick questions. Not audiophile but decent sounding wireless headphones for use with a device phone iPad etc. my son has gone through several brands and the head bands on all stretch and or deform and break. Is there anyone who make a head band for a Sasquatch sized cranium? Currently he is using aonics

Not my intention to derail this thread but there is so much headphone knowledge here I have a quick questions. Not audiophile but decent sounding wireless headphones for use with a device phone iPad etc. my son has gone through several brands and the head bands on all stretch and or deform and break. Is there anyone who make a head band for a Sasquatch sized cranium? Currently he is using aonics
I just use AirPods Pro for casual use like cooking, errands, gym, etc. Sound is good for a consumer product but convenience is 10/10 which is the most important factor for me in those contexts. I’m sure there’s cheaper or better value brands out there but regardless, true wireless earbuds eliminates the headband issue, if you/he can manage to not lose them.

I just use AirPods Pro for casual use like cooking, errands, gym, etc. Sound is good for a consumer product but convenience is 10/10 which is the most important factor for me in those contexts. I’m sure there’s cheaper or better value brands out there but regardless, true wireless earbuds eliminates the headband issue, if you/he can manage to not lose them.
He uses those for around but at home he likes closed back with ANC. Have to block out dad who tests to keep him busy with something other than video games. Thanks

Last edited:
He uses those forming around but at home he likes closed back with ANC. Have to block out dad who tests to keep him busy with something other than video games. Thanks
Oh ok. I don’t have a ton of experience with wireless over ear headphones, but these Sony units sounded decent, have ANC, and fit me well even with my above average sized head. I think the AirPods Max would have the most range as far as head sizes go. But as with most wireless over ear headphones the sound quality just wasn’t comparable to a decent wired set, especially in the low end, which for this type of product is almost always just a wall of flubby mud.

Oh ok. I don’t have a ton of experience with wireless over ear headphones, but these Sony units sounded decent, have ANC, and fit me well even with my above average sized head. I think the AirPods Max would have the most range as far as head sizes go. But as with most wireless over ear headphones the sound quality just wasn’t comparable to a decent wired set, especially in the low end, which for this type of product is almost always just a wall of flubby mud.
Kids now listen to a lot of garbage I don’t think fidelity is a huge issue. Hahahah

But don't forget latency ... there shall be one new available with less latency but the sound is not really great. Bernd Kiltz @ YT talked about.

Back
Top Bottom