I'm at a loss = analog reamp ground loop noise

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
It's not a ground loop. Not as far as I've experienced before here in my studio. Everything is grounded. I play with the track but as soon as I disconnect the guitar cable from the Axe Fx III I get this big noise. And it's a clean amp. Carr Ambler. Seems like it's mainly coming from there. It has happened every time I recently reamped. I do it analog because I'm used to recording at 96k. But as soon as I unplug then the noise doesn't go away unless I switch presets. Then it magically disappears. It might be choice of compressors. Optical sustainer and analog sustainers. Just ridiculously loud. Even backing off the mix to 50% and the threshold and sustain - it's still too loud. Studio FF Compressor is quieter but it's not the one I want to use. I guess I'll use one of my hardware or software compressors and record naked.

Here's the noise when I unplug the guitar for analog reamping. I switch to Compressor B-Analog Sustainer or C - Optical Sustainer. A Studio FF Compressor is relatively quiet. But still noisier than plugging the cable into the input. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• Axe III-09.wav.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Are you unplugging the instrument cable from the guitar and leaving it plugged into the Axe III's front panel? If so, it's going to act as a noise antenna since the circuit is not closed.

Are you unplugging the instrument cable from the guitar and leaving it plugged into the Axe III's front panel? If so, it's going to act as a noise antenna since the circuit is not closed.
But but - yes. But even when it's plugge din.. But this is how I thought you were supposed to do the analog reamp thing.

If you're not using the front input, make sure you unplug the instrument cable from the front panel. It's a self grounding jack that will eliminate the input noise a loose cable would pick up when not plugged into a guitar.

I was having some noise while reamping (and playing) through the Axe Fx USB to computer as well. I wasn't able to play your file to hear if it's similar to mine. Some videos from @Guitarjon helped me with that. I'll link them below. The Idefender Jon suggested I think helped a little, as did plugging all the devices to the same powerstrip. Also - on the preset your reamping make sure you use the noisegate in the USB block. You can hear the noise problem I was having in the opening riff of this Judas Priest video below. Its a swirling noise on top of the guitar tone.

My noise issue:

Jon videos on this:

Then the noise is coming from your other gear. Are they plugged into the same power strip as the Axe III?
Nope. I'm sorry. It's not coming from my other gear. Are what plugged in to the same. They are powered by the same Furman power conditioner/surge protector in a very high end, well grounded recording studio. Nothing else is making this sound or sounding ungrounded. Nothing else other than this situation.

Did you try using the front panel input instead of the rear? Might be something specific to that rear input.

Did you try using the front panel input instead of the rear? Might be something specific to that rear input.
But that's not how the analog reamp thing works. I mainly use the front input. There's no problem with the front input. It's quiet. My understanding is to reamp the analog way you take the output from your interface, in my case a Metric Halo ULN-8 mkIV output 5, into the rear input. I have it -2 db +4. I unplug the guitar from the front input which activates the rear input. Maybe I have a setting al messed up in this. I don't beloieve the Axe Fx III is broken. I think I have sometihng set up wrong. BUT I also know not that many people reamp analog. Most people do USB and record at 48k.

Back
Top Bottom