How to contact Atomic amps?

Will changing the power amp mess up the DSP?
To be sure, did you mean "power supply"...?

That's the one you want. It's in the MKII and will reduce the temperature.
Mine is among the first ones (not a Neo).
If I ever need it, I will for sure check which one is inside, or try recapping first.
Thanks for the warnings!
There are three power amps. They should only be replaced with matching units.
I guess you too meant power supplies?
I'm not sure, but thought I once read you could order the other board too (power amp), but maybe that's very unlikely... — unless they did use a generic board and just had to program it.

Last edited:
Specifics? Have you disassembled a CLR? If so, exactly how did you manage to recognize "the worst components?"
Yes I've disassembled a few different atomic products. And they've all used just about the absolute cheapest chinesium caps, resistors, pots, and transformers available. Really nothing all that high end in their builds other than the price. The cabs are constructed pretty soundly at least.

Last edited:
No, unless your CLRs are MKIIs. The PS you ordered was used in first-gen units. The other one would be preferable even for those, but the one you ordered will work.
ah I see, thanks a lot. I´m a total noob when it comes to electronics, I can swap parts but that´s it. My CLRs are Gen. 1, the new power supplies are on their way. Now I have to make up my mind if I send them back and get the Mark II ones.

Yes I've disassembled a few different atomic products.
That is nonresponsive to the question I asked. Have you ever disassembled a CLR?

And they've all used just about the absolute cheapest chinesium caps, resistors, pots, and transformers available.
This is a completely bogus generalization. The resistors, (non-electrolytic) caps, and active devices in the CLR are all SMD parts. You can't tell where they were made or what their quality is by visual inspection. The only transformer in a CLR is in the Hypex switchmode power supply. It's quite obvious you have some kind of ax to grind, as you haven't said the first thing about how you recognize "the worst components." I'm not defending the company here, just calling out obvious bullshit.

Does anyone here know what a good replacement speaker might be? I had the amp replaced several years ago and while in transit, the horn broked off and ripped the cone. I've also tried many times to contact Tom and Atomic, with no luck and was wondering whether I can salvage the CLR. Thanks!

Does anyone here know what a good replacement speaker might be? I had the amp replaced several years ago and while in transit, the horn broked off and ripped the cone. I've also tried many times to contact Tom and Atomic, with no luck and was wondering whether I can salvage the CLR. Thanks!
He replied several times on The Gear Page recently. Seems some people had good service and things are picking up.
It would be interesting to see if yet again he doesn't reply, and "business remains as usual"...

Isn't it uncommon to send the whole CLR? I thought he tried to diagnose the problem with you, then often you can take out one of the offending modules and just send that to have fixed or replaced (or so I thought).

I certainly wish him the best. OTOH, it seems to be a guy who is unable to find a decent mail provider/software... (which is gonna hurt credibility fast...)

Re. the speaker, there may still be an ad up somewhere on the net of a guy selling this speaker. I'm not 100% sure, but it seemed to be the CLR's speaker...?

Is this the CLR speaker_.jpg

He replied several times on The Gear Page recently. Seems some people had good service and things are picking up.
It would be interesting to see if yet again he doesn't reply, and "business remains as usual"...

Isn't it uncommon to send the whole CLR? I thought he tried to diagnose the problem with you, then often you can take out one of the offending modules and just send that to have fixed or replaced (or so I thought).

I certainly wish him the best. OTOH, it seems to be a guy who is unable to find a decent mail provider/software... (which is gonna hurt credibility fast...)

Re. the speaker, there may still be an ad up somewhere on the net of a guy selling this speaker. I'm not 100% sure, but it seemed to be the CLR's speaker...?

View attachment 110939
thanks for this. on my previous repair i had to send the whole amp, which was pretty pricey. i'm just hoping for a replacement speaker and got the feeling that Atomic is no more. i'll look for this speaker. thanks again...

[snip]

The power supply and three power amps are each on their own boards and are independently replaceable. The DSP is on its own board, which is proprietary to Atomic.
I'm guessing that in the CLR, the HF driver gets one of the Hypex UcD250LP OEM amp modules to itself, and that the LF driver get the other two Hypex UcD250LP OEM amp modules in a push-pull configuration.

I'm guessing that in the CLR, the HF driver gets one of the Hypex UcD250LP OEM amp modules to itself, and that the LF driver get the other two Hypex UcD250LP OEM amp modules in a push-pull configuration.
That is the case for the first-gen units. Mk II units got UcD180LP modules and associated power supplies. FYI, maximum acoustic output, which is limited by the DSP code (rather than by available power), actually increased in the MK II.

Is it possible to replace a broken UcD250 in mk1 by the UcD180?
I am curious since I have a blown UcD250 and could get the UcD180 way easier.
I would change both LF ucd250 amps to not mix 250 and 180 units in the LF way. If I leave the HF amp 250, and change only both LF modules, would this affect the HF/LF loudness ratio noticable ?
Anyone tried?

My guess is "probably not," because the DSP is programmed with parameters for a specific system profile.

Just a guess, though.

Is it possible to replace a broken UcD250 in mk1 by the UcD180?
Definitely not. If you want to make that change, you'll have to change the power supply as well. It would be a very good idea to change all three power amp modules to insure you get the best match. If you make all these changes, the speaker willl work as before but run cooler. If all your UcD250 modules are still good, you can get the same benefit by just changing the power supply.

Last edited:
Thanks. Better price than the ones I found, and I wasn't sure which of the two it was...
Oops, yours is a similar price displayed w/o VAT...

- Hypex SMPS400A180 2 x 46 VDC 400W Switch Mode Power Supply – € 114,95
www.soundimports.eu/nl/hypex-smps400a180.html

- Hypex SMPS400A400 2 x 62 VDC 400W Switch Mode Power Supply – € 114,95
www.soundimports.eu/nl/hypex-smps400a400.html

I don't need them at the moment and would first try and replace caps. The caps might be 10 years old on the "new" ones anyway :p
So the lower power unit is the newer one? It doesn't cause any issues with the older components?

Back
Top Bottom