How to contact Atomic amps?

echo44

Inspired
I have a CLR speaker cab that I bought a few years ago.
The cab recently died. Have tried to contact Atomic by email and
have had no response after several tries? I notice there is no phone number on their web site.
I also looked to purchase another one and it is "unavailable" in the order section. In the meantime I bought a Red Sound cab
which is awesome but also love my CLR .just curious if anyone knows anything about the status of the company.

Last edited:
i feel for you...
afaik they are pretty much done as a company in essence.
they resurface once in a blue moon to say "we are still in business" but they are out of stock of pretty much anything, they dont respond to inquiries or even support/service requests, they have of course long abandoned any software updates they promised and lied about repeatedly and they havent even fixed their forum which they said a month or two ago would be up in a couple of weeks (not that it would do them any good at this point).
also they recently let go of some staff and for all the above signs of their decomposition they blame supply chain issues.
i dont know what the deal is with the clr and how repairable they are independently of atomic (i think most of the work is done with dsp and their proprietary code).
your best bet imo would be to bug them in social media where people can see if they respond or ghost you.

sad to see that company go down the toilet like that. i used to have an amplifire 6 and i liked it but they made having their products more of a liability than an advantage...

Reactions: RDH
I gave up on getting replacement power units for my CLRs 1st Gen. years ago. No support in Europe. I wonder how long my newer CLR Neos will make it.

As the old one gets majorly hot, I wished they at least shared which part breaks most often. Often it's just a cap or a big transistor?
I'm gonna start and put a fan on my cooler, in hopes it will last a little longer.
I think I once read you can order the power supply somewhere, but as I can't find back that info, I might be confusing it with a PS for the Axe II.

Last edited:
Maybe I got that link for a PS (for the early CLR version?) from here...
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/atomic-clr-problem.100507/post-1402630
The link is dead but AFAIK the company and dealers for it still exist.
-
You could first try disconnecting the power supply from the board and test if the required power still comes out of it. If it's clearly faulty, you could replace the caps (watch the polarity). For this, IMO, you ideally need a small tip quality soldering iron (some don't get hot enough), a solder sucker tool, and some new solder.
For safety reasons: inquire when it's safe to touch caps or how to drain them, and don't breathe in too much solder ;)
-
AFAIK, it's normal for electrolytical caps to die after some 12 years? (probably also depending on use)

So the bottom line on Atomic Amps and Tom King is that they are no longer selling the CLR NEO MKIIs, even to folks on the pre-covid waiting list? Nor are they offering repairs or phone help? Correct?

Any suggestions as to an equivalent FRFR wedge, such as the RCF NX-10 or 12 SMA series?

So the bottom line on Atomic Amps and Tom King is that they are no longer selling the CLR NEO MKIIs, even to folks on the pre-covid waiting list? Nor are they offering repairs or phone help? Correct?

Any suggestions as to an equivalent FRFR wedge, such as the RCF NX-10 or 12 SMA series?
Yes, No, Maybe...
I think in theory you can still get lucky, and he wrote about plans for 2023.
In practice — and considering the history — I would recommend to look elsewhere.

Some of the worst components I've ever seen in a supposedly "high end" product. I can't help but think that is why Fractal quickly ended their partnership years back. I still have a pair of 50 watt reactor FRs I'm about to offload.

Reactions: Ole
I think the CLR's I bought in 2013 are excellent products, thankfully both are still working a decade later.
Unfortunately, Had an issue with one just after a year of owning it, starting making a high pitch squealing.
Was really easy to get Tom to RMA it and ship the amp module to him, he responded to service request same day actually...... then nothing, I let it go for a 3 months, then had to make posts on forums to get Tom's attention as like everyone else he just stopped replying.
then after nearly 6 months went by, he actually called me, saying he will give me a replacement module and shipped it back to me for free, if I could just remove my negative forum posts..... which I did to get the module, but no other reason.

based on that interaction, Tom King and Atomic will never get my business again.

It makes no sense to me. It's a great product, he could be making tons of money as now more than ever people are looking to acquire quality FRFR.

My advice is to steer clear.

Reactions: ESW
I found those replacement power supplies made by Hypex in the Netherlands, I ordered two of them, will see if I can make my old CLRs work:
www.diyclassd.com/product/smps400a400/12
Thanks. Better price than the ones I found, and I wasn't sure which of the two it was...
Oops, yours is a similar price displayed w/o VAT...

- Hypex SMPS400A180 2 x 46 VDC 400W Switch Mode Power Supply – € 114,95
www.soundimports.eu/nl/hypex-smps400a180.html

- Hypex SMPS400A400 2 x 62 VDC 400W Switch Mode Power Supply – € 114,95
www.soundimports.eu/nl/hypex-smps400a400.html

I don't need them at the moment and would first try and replace caps. The caps might be 10 years old on the "new" ones anyway :p

Last edited:
yes let us know if that was the problem. I have already bought a pair of red sound, but would at least like to try to fix the clr so I could sell or give away.

Back
Top Bottom