help with lfjr and volume and wah on the same mission pedal?

nnajar

I have a mission sp1 with the momentary switch. I've been using it for the last 6 months sans switch and just using the pedal out to the LFJR as wah in autoengage. James from mission told me I could use the same pedal for volume and wah and switch between them with the switch. he gave me instructions and I tried it but I couldn't get it working properly so I'm here for help.

in the LF editor I set up the global expression pedal settings for continuous on pedal 1 and latch on pedal 2. the cc#'s were set to values that I then setup in the axefx for external 2 and wah/pan bypasss respectively.

in the preset override in each preset I setup the same thing but did it for external 1 and wah1 bypass. the wah frequency is set to external 1 in the axefx and the volume block is set to external 2.

well the volume block now defaults to 0 (so i get no sound) and won't change with the pedal. if i click the switch, the volume block does not bypass, but the wah will now engage and the freq sweep functions. but remember the volume block is still on zero. when i click the switch again, the wah block bypasses but the volume still won't sweep. when you sweep the pedal with the wah block bypassed, the freq on the wah still sweeps though.

so for the gig last night in a quick fix i just removed the volume block from my 3 presets I use and the wah functioned like a normal wah with a toe switch, but the point of this excercise is that I want a volume pedal in the same pedal like I used to have with my gt10.

so i hope that's enough information if anyone can help. thanks!

N

nnajar said:
In the LF editor I set up the global expression pedal settings for continuous on pedal 1 and latch on pedal 2. the cc#'s were set to values that I then setup in the axefx for external 2 and wah/pan bypasss respectively.

in the preset override in each preset I setup the same thing but did it for external 1 and wah1 bypass. the wah frequency is set to external 1 in the axefx and the volume block is set to external 2.

well the volume block now defaults to 0 (so i get no sound) and won't change with the pedal. if i click the switch, the volume block does not bypass, but the wah will now engage and the freq sweep functions. but remember the volume block is still on zero. when i click the switch again, the wah block bypasses but the volume still won't sweep. when you sweep the pedal with the wah block bypassed, the freq on the wah still sweeps though.

Let's see if I've got this straight:
1. In the global menu you set EXP1 to control the CC# for External 2 (volume block) and EXP2 to control WAH1 Byp.
2. In the override you set EXP1 to control the CC# for External 1 (wah freq) and EXP2 to control Vol/Pan Byp

Is that correct? If so, then you are assuming that the override won't kick in until you stomp the toe switch - and that's not how it is. The moment you click to this preset on the LF, that override kicks in and your pedal is controlling the WAH Freq. It's doing exactly what you told it to do, not what you WANT it to do. Silly computers. :lol:

Okay, so here's what you really want: a way to tell the Mission pedal to stop controlling volume and start controlling wah frequency. You also want a way to tell it to go back to controlling volume and STOP controlling wah frequency. And you want it to do all this when you stomp the toe switch on your Mission pedal. The key to this is the LF's special EXP1_CC command. But buckle up, this is more complex than you hoped it would be.

Oh...and I've laid out instructions here so that this can be done WITHOUT the editor. For the editor, you should have not trouble translating it. Just ignore all the "on 01M", "on 02M" stuff.

Here's what you do:

1. Go to the Switch Menu, and select a switch # that you aren't using. Say, #064.

2. Now let's assume you're using all the default CC#'s on the Axe, as if you'd just reset the factory settings. if you aren't, you'll have to adjust what I say below. So, by default, WAH1 Bypass is CC#97, External 1 is CC#16, and External 2 is CC#17. Also, have your preset configured with the WAH1 block bypassed, and the Vol block enabled. I don't remember what the Volume block bypass CC# is, so here I'm going to call it #99. (Note: in my rig, I use the OUT1 Volume and OUT2 Volume and set them both to #11, which saves me two programming steps)

Assuming these default values, program Switch #64 like this:

Type: Step-Thru

on 01M Step *sp* 1:001 2:000 (This part of the program starts the FIRST time the switch is clicked)
on 02M EXP1_CC *sp* 1:009 2:016 (Note: Sets EXP1 to send CC#16, External 1)
on 03M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:097 2:000 (Sends CC#97 to the Axe, controlling WAH1 bypass. 000 turns the bypass OFF)
on 04M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:099 2:127 (Sends CC#99 to the Axe, to turn the Volume Block Bypass ON)
on 05M Step *sp* 1:001 2:000 (This part of the program starts the SECOND time the switch is clicked)
on 06M EXP1_CC *sp* 1:009 2: 017 (Note: Sets EXP1 to send CC# 17, controlling External 2)
on 07M01 AXE_FX C:B 1:097 2:127 (Sends CC#97 to the Axe-FX, controlling WAH1 bypass, 127 turns the bypass ON)
on 08M01 AXE_FX C:B 1:099 2:000 (Sends CC#99 to the Axe, to turn the Volume Block Bypass OFF

If you're using the editor, note that these are all ON messages. No OFF messages needed.

3. Now we need a way to trigger Switch #64. Obviously we want that trigger to be the toe switch on the Mission Pedal. So we go to the Global Menu to configure our expression pedal's global settings, like this:

GLOBAL MENU (EXP1) programming:

EXP1:M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:017 2:OFF (The Sweep Pedal, assigned to CC# 17, External 2)
EXP2:M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:064 2:OFF (The Toe Switch)

EXP1: Pedal Type *Continuous
EXP2: Pedal Type *IA Trig SW <<--NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT

Now, what that looks like is that the toe switch is sending CC#64 to the Axe-FX, right? But that's not really happening. Setting EXP2 to type IA Trig SW tells the Liquid-Foot to grab that CC#, and that CC# is the number for your Switch #64. Switch #64 is a Step-Thru program, the first time you stomp the toe switch, the steps under the first step command execute and turn the Mission pedal into a WAH. Then it waits at the second STEP command for you to stomp the switch again. When you do, it executes the second two steps which turn the Mission pedal back into a Volume pedal. Then the LF goes back to the First STEP command and waits for you to stomp again. Just as obedient as a well-trained Golden Labrador Retriever. Give it a pat on the head.

See? It's easy. ;)

Read through all the above a couple of times until you understand exactly what it's doing, then go to work. When you get it all to work, treat yourself to a cold beer.

Good luck!

raz said:
nnajar said:
In the LF editor I set up the global expression pedal settings for continuous on pedal 1 and latch on pedal 2. the cc#'s were set to values that I then setup in the axefx for external 2 and wah/pan bypasss respectively.

Let's see if I've got this straight:
1. In the global menu you set EXP1 to control the CC# for External 2 (volume block) and EXP2 to control WAH1 Byp.
2. In the override you set EXP1 to control the CC# for External 1 (wah freq) and EXP2 to control Vol/Pan Byp

Is that correct? If so, then you are assuming that the override won't kick in until you stomp the toe switch - and that's not how it is. The moment you click to this preset on the LF, that override kicks in and your pedal is controlling the WAH Freq. It's doing exactly what you told it to do, not what you WANT it to do. Silly computers. :lol:

Okay, so here's what you really want: a way to tell the Mission pedal to stop controlling volume and start controlling wah frequency. You also want a way to tell it to go back to controlling volume and STOP controlling wah frequency. And you want it to do all this when you stomp the toe switch on your Mission pedal. The key to this is the LF's special EXP1_CC command. But buckle up, this is more complex than you hoped it would be.

Oh...and I've laid out instructions here so that this can be done WITHOUT the editor. For the editor, you should have not trouble translating it. Just ignore all the "on 01M", "on 02M" stuff.

Here's what you do:

1. Go to the Switch Menu, and select a switch # that you aren't using. Say, #064.

2. Now let's assume you're using all the default CC#'s on the Axe, as if you'd just reset the factory settings. if you aren't, you'll have to adjust what I say below. So, by default, WAH1 Bypass is CC#97, External 1 is CC#16, and External 2 is CC#17. Also, have your preset configured with the WAH1 block bypassed, and the Vol block enabled. I don't remember what the Volume block bypass CC# is, so here I'm going to call it #99. (Note: in my rig, I use the OUT1 Volume and OUT2 Volume and set them both to #11, which saves me two programming steps)

Assuming these default values, program Switch #64 like this:

Type: Step-Thru

on 01M Step *sp* 1:001 2:000 (This part of the program starts the FIRST time the switch is clicked)
on 02M EXP1_CC *sp* 1:009 2:016 (Note: Sets EXP1 to send CC#16, External 1)
on 03M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:097 2:000 (Sends CC#97 to the Axe, controlling WAH1 bypass. 000 turns the bypass OFF)
on 04M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:099 2:127 (Sends CC#99 to the Axe, to turn the Volume Block Bypass ON)
on 05M Step *sp* 1:001 2:000 (This part of the program starts the SECOND time the switch is clicked)
on 06M EXP1_CC *sp* 1:009 2: 017 (Note: Sets EXP1 to send CC# 17, controlling External 2)
on 07M01 AXE_FX C:B 1:097 2:127 (Sends CC#97 to the Axe-FX, controlling WAH1 bypass, 127 turns the bypass ON)
on 08M01 AXE_FX C:B 1:099 2:000 (Sends CC#99 to the Axe, to turn the Volume Block Bypass OFF

If you're using the editor, note that these are all ON messages. No OFF messages needed.

3. Now we need a way to trigger Switch #64. Obviously we want that trigger to be the toe switch on the Mission Pedal. So we go to the Global Menu to configure our expression pedal's global settings, like this:

GLOBAL MENU (EXP1) programming:

EXP1:M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:017 2:OFF (The Sweep Pedal, assigned to CC# 17, External 2)
EXP2:M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:064 2:OFF (The Toe Switch)

EXP1: Pedal Type *Continuous
EXP2: Pedal Type *IA Trig SW <<--NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT

Now, what that looks like is that the toe switch is sending CC#64 to the Axe-FX, right? But that's not really happening. Setting EXP2 to type IA Trig SW tells the Liquid-Foot to grab that CC#, and that CC# is the number for your Switch #64. Switch #64 is a Step-Thru program, the first time you stomp the toe switch, the steps under the first step command execute and turn the Mission pedal into a WAH. Then it waits at the second STEP command for you to stomp the switch again. When you do, it executes the second two steps which turn the Mission pedal back into a Volume pedal. Then the LF goes back to the First STEP command and waits for you to stomp again. Just as obedient as a well-trained Golden Labrador Retriever. Give it a pat on the head.

See? It's easy. ;)

Read through all the above a couple of times until you understand exactly what it's doing, then go to work. When you get it all to work, treat yourself to a cold beer.

Good luck!

thanks so much! I'll try this when I get to the gig.

N

Thanks for trying to spell this out so clearly. I am having similar problem with same gear (LF pro instead of JR though).

When I follow your steps, Raz, I get volume pedal but no wah. (My Wah is External 2, cc 17)

When I tried to follow U2justme's advice, I get hung up on setting Expression Pedal 3 as an IA LINK. I get as far as putting in the IA Link, but direct input won't let me put in the 64 data that tells it to reference IA switch 64. (I tried using the software editor, which makes it easy. That crashes whenever it sends data back to the LF though.)

If you have a suggestion to make it work, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

addedc said:
Thanks for trying to spell this out so clearly. I am having similar problem with same gear (LF pro instead of JR though).

When I follow your steps, Raz, I get volume pedal but no wah. (My Wah is External 2, cc 17)

When I tried to follow U2justme's advice, I get hung up on setting Expression Pedal 3 as an IA LINK. I get as far as putting in the IA Link, but direct input won't let me put in the 64 data that tells it to reference IA switch 64. (I tried using the software editor, which makes it easy. That crashes whenever it sends data back to the LF though.)

Thanks

Oh, hell. There's an error in my previous instructions. The data values for the bypass are reversed. That's what happens when I do this without having the unit in my hand.

Okay, I've got the unit in my hand. I'm going to go through it step by step as I have it configured. I know it's working because I used it last weekend and it performed flawlessly.

Here are the assumptions:

- I control volume with the Output 1 and Output 2 volume controls. Out 1 is to FOH, out 2 is to my IEM's. Both are controlled by CC#11 on the Axe.
- I have the toe switch of my expression pedal plugged into EXP1, and the sweep in EXP2.

With that in mind, here are the settings, coming right from my JR:

Global Menu:

Midi Dev name:01 [AXE-FX ]
Exp1:M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:064 2:OFF (This is the toe switch pointing at SW064 on the LF)
Exp2:M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:011 2:OFF (Sweep controlling CC#11, Out1 vol, Out2 vol)
Exp1: Pedal Type *IA Trig SW
Exp2: Pedal Type *Continuous

Switch Menu: Select IA SW064

Switch Type Step-Thru
on 01M _ SPECIAL *SP* 1:001 2:000 (Step Command)
on 02M _ SPECIAL *SP* 1:010 2:016 (EXP2_CC Command to make EXP2 send CC# 16)
on 03M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:097 2:127 (Turns the WAH1 block on)
on 04M _ SPECIAL *SP* 1:001 2:000 (Step Command)
on 05M _ SPECIAL *SP* 1:010 2:011 (EXP2_CC Command to make EXP2 send CC# 11)
on 06M _ SPECIAL *SP* 1:097 2:000 (Turns the WAH1 block off)

That, straight from my LF JR, is how I've got it working. Sorry for my erroneous instructions. Duh-huht, I are a pwogwammuh.

Hope this helps.

raz said:
addedc said:

Thanks

Oh, hell. There's an error in my previous instructions. The data values for the bypass are reversed. That's what happens when I do this without having the unit in my hand.

Okay, I've got the unit in my hand. I'm going to go through it step by step as I have it configured. I know it's working because I used it last weekend and it performed flawlessly.

- I control volume with the Output 1 and Output 2 volume controls. Out 1 is to FOH, out 2 is to my IEM's. Both are controlled by CC#11 on the Axe.
- I have the toe switch of my expression pedal plugged into EXP1, and the sweep in EXP2.

Global Menu:

Exp1:M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:064 2:OFF (This is the toe switch pointing at SW064 on the LF)

Switch Type Step-Thru

That, straight from my LF JR, is how I've got it working. Sorry for my erroneous instructions. Duh-huht, I are a pwogwammuh.

Hope this helps.

ok so I followed your instructions and substituted my configuration info for yours- which is where i probably messed it up. the volume is now working properly, but it is not switching to wah.

on yours am I meant to understand cc#11 does your volume sweep and 16 does your wah sweep? and cc#97 is the wah bypass?

my wah sweep is external 1 (my cc#7) and volume sweep is external 2(cc#55) . wah bypass is cc#2. i subbed those for your 16, 11 and 97 respectively. otherwise i programmed it exactly how you said. what am I missing? thanks so very much for the assistance.

N

nnajar said:
raz said:
addedc said:

Thanks

Global Menu:

Switch Type Step-Thru

Hope this helps.

ok so I followed your instructions and substituted my configuration info for yours- which is where i probably messed it up. the volume is now working properly, but it is not switching to wah.

on yours am I meant to understand cc#11 does your volume sweep and 16 does your wah sweep? and cc#97 is the wah bypass?

my wah sweep is external 1 (my cc#7) and volume sweep is external 2(cc#55) . wah bypass is cc#2. i subbed those for your 16, 11 and 97 respectively. otherwise i programmed it exactly how you said. what am I missing? thanks so very much for the assistance.

N

nevermind i figured it out.... silly me I had the expression calibrated for the sweep but not the toe switch!

N

[quote="nnajar]
nevermind i figured it out.... silly me I had the expression calibrated for the sweep but not the toe switch!
N[/quote]

Yeah, I kept telling myself to put this reminder in, and kept forgetting. You HAVE to calibrate both your expression pedal and toe switch or it won't work.

raz said:
[quote="nnajar]
N

Yeah, I kept telling myself to put this reminder in, and kept forgetting. You HAVE to calibrate both your expression pedal and toe switch or it won't work.[/quote][/quote]

ok one major problem it seems. on one of my presets the volume doens't work at all and I just get a total muted (volume down) situation. if you go into the layout and edits, you can see the toe switch is not activating the wah, but the sweep is sweeping the wah, and the volume is being ignored and defaulting to 0 (although it says 10.0, the image of the knob is fully counterclockwise). while in that preset on the lfjr if I recalibrate the expression pedals it works, but once i exit that preset to another one and then return, it goes back to being silent! I don't understand why it's behaving like that. I checked and checked and rechecked and the wah and volume blocks in the axe are the same as in the other presets.

N

I'm having a problem getting this to work correctly with LF Jr firmware version 2.03. I have to step on the switch two times for every programmed "step". The first click on my Mission SP1-R shows S01, second click shows S01, third click shows S02, forth click shows S02. With continued steps it repeats the cycle.

So, it appears that the LF Jr is not triggering both commands in the step with one click of the switch on the SP1-R. I have to click the switch for each command in the step.

Is anyone else having this problem?

The behavior you describe is most likely caused by using a latching switch, or by having the switch type not set or calibrated with the LF. If you have a standard Mission SP1-R with the latching switch, this is not really compatible with the LF, which requires a momentary switch for proper operation. We have a kit available that you can use to convert the pedal to a momentary switch that is compatible with the LF. You also need to make sure you have the correct switch type specified in the LF and you should also calibrate it, the same as you wold a continuous controller. James.

Back
Top Bottom