Help Plz. FM9 Not Booting Up (Solved)

ALWAYS on my shoulder or carrying it by the handles.

When I had rolling cases I’d carry them over bumps and down stairs. A handcart invites equipment falling off or shock being transmitted to the items on the bottom UNLESS they have sufficient padding. And, again, that padding depends on the equipment, and what it’s going to be subjected to when being transported.

I’d put my guitars in Gator’s Pro gig bags on a cart before I’d put my amp or FM9 in its gig bag on one, and I’d rather make two trips than pile my gear on a cart. It’s been a conversation here several times about moving my gear… “You should get a cart…” or something similar, but, no thanks, been there and done that and was without gear for months waiting for it to be repaired.

One of my tube combos has wheels because it’s around 40lbs. I never wheel it across parking lots, instead I carry it, and carry it across door thresholds. If I see something that is going to cause it shock I pick it up.

Maybe I’m paranoid or excessive, but then again, knock on wood, I have never had it fail.

The church parking lot where I have to park, is crushed stone. I cringe rolling over it with my FM9 roller case. Instead, I drop off the gear at the door, park and then carry in. Based on reading your post, my instincts were correct!

Any idea how or why this happens? Did FAS give you any insights?

I didn't buy the extended warranty, but after seeing this, I wonder how often these units fail and if I should go and buy the 3yr while I can?
Yes, FAS said that a number of environmental factors may cause this. FAS cited power fluctuations, heat and humidity. Jostling or rough handling the unit can also loosen up parts that are more delicate. Recall that this device is akin to a computer. You wouldn't wish to rough handle your laptop unless you knew it were safe to do so. Even my desktop if it takes a few bumps can cause hardware to be internally affected.

I ruled out the fluctuation, because my FM9 is powered by a Furman AC215A power conditioner/surge protector/clean power unit. My Duo 24 board resided below a grow light panel, where shallots grew in my bookcase above. The possibility of heat and humidity from the grow lights and shallot trays may have been the cause.

It's well worth the cost of the 3-year warranty if your unit might fail during that time. The repair and return shipping/insurance is free with the warranty. I don't want to belabor the point, but it saved me a lot of cash for a replacement of the DSP, that would have been not been under warranty.

Thats because UPS sux - FEDEX Rules - hang in there
Yeah, except that time that the Fed-Ex driver tried to steal my PRS guitar! (Nothing fancy - S2 24 Fret Standard in metallic green)

I got notice that it delivered but it was not on my porch AND he was supposed to get a signature. Blamed COVID as to why no signature. Called Fed-Ex immediately and complained. The driver got spooked and dropped it off at a random house a few blocks away. The honest homeowner called the music store, that's how I get reconnected with it. (My name and address was miraculously torn off.) THEN, he came back a day later and tried to tell me how porch pirates MUST have stolen it. I spoke to management at Fed Ex and they have correct "the problem".

These postage services are all great until they suck. Like cell service, they all suck somewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_4921.jpeg
    IMG_4921.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Yep, they knew, and restored my FM9 with the older standard DSP. FM9 arrived about 10 minutes ago...just about to unbox and set about restoring it to my Duo 24. Many thanks to Fractal Service for their 1-day receipt/repair/return shipment.

Only my amp tech who used to retube/bias/speaker swap my old amps was faster, and that's because I'd bring my amp direct to him and wait while he did the work.

Difference with FAS is, there wasn't a bench/parts fee (was still within the 3-yr warranty) and they return shipped/insured at no cost.
Awesome! Congrats.

Yeah, except that time that the Fed-Ex driver tried to steal my PRS guitar! (Nothing fancy - S2 24 Fret Standard in metallic green)

I got notice that it delivered but it was not on my porch AND he was supposed to get a signature. Blamed COVID as to why no signature. Called Fed-Ex immediately and complained. The driver got spooked and dropped it off at a random house a few blocks away. The honest homeowner called the music store, that's how I get reconnected with it. (My name and address was miraculously torn off.) THEN, he came back a day later and tried to tell me how porch pirates MUST have stolen it. I spoke to management at Fed Ex and they have correct "the problem".

These postage services are all great until they suck. Like cell service, they all suck somewhere.
Yikes not cool - great guitar glad it worked out for you - crazy world

Give, take, it's very common these days. Even intellectual property on this forum often finds its way into the mainstream. Any noob can read a forum post, re-write it and call it his own. IIRC, I think that's how people define "research" these days...

Well, what I was looking for I finally found...FAS service replaced a faulty DSP and returned shipped my FM9, in one day. My FM9 arrived Monday 06/05, and once some minor changes were made to the board, my Duo 24 is now complete. It's now safe and healthy.

Thanks FAS for your good communication, quick repair and quick return shipment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom