Help Plz. FM9 Not Booting Up (Solved)

Amazing looking guitar

What do you mean the outer heat shrink "melted through?" Without any other context, that's a little concerning.

When you do a continuity check, do so while checking each pin and wiggling the cable a bit to make sure continuity remains solid and, probably more importantly, ensuring you don't get any continuity when you're not supposed to.
No, it's OK. We had used some large diameter heat shrink wrap with an industrial strength heat gun, and my friend overdid it a little. The wrap shrank down like it was supposed to, but my friend kept at it instead of moving the heat gun about evenly. I recognized the mistake as he was doing it because he was holding the board and trying to angle it as he held...which led to the electrical tape bandaid afterwards.

Preliminary continuity check was good. Had a difficult time trying to hold the multimeter probes, the thin wire, and the IEC cable with two hands. Changed over to the helping hands clips instead of f'ing with it.

Once the FM9 returns Monday and makes its way back onto the board I'll post images in the Let's See Those FM9 Rigs post. I'm just doing the preliminary prep work today. The IEC cable is currently zip-tied solid to the Duo 24...I'd need a spare set of hands to check continuity as you suggest...may ask a family member to step up and pitch in...

EDIT: Just checked with family...nearest parental unit (couple doors away) will visit and lend a hand...I think I learn quicker when I can control my workflow, other times I feel like the on-the-job training results in a crapload of busy work.

Good news again. Maternal unit acted as lovely stage assistant while I made Shemp's nose light up. Stage assistant wiggled IEC cable and held one probe, professor held the thin wire and the other probe. Continuity on each contact with wiggled cable.

Need to ask Matt @ FAS a question:
@Admin M@ : If FAS customer service repairs an FM9 and states that they've replaced the DSP, does this means they've upgraded the FM9 to an FM9T? My FM9 was under 3 yr warranty, and was wondering if they did me a really huge favor?

Last edited:
Need to ask Matt @ FAS a question:
@Admin M@ : If FAS customer service repairs an FM9 and states that they've replaced the DSP, does this means they've upgraded the FM9 to an FM9T? My FM9 was under 3 yr warranty, and was wondering if they did me a really huge favor?
That's a question for Fractal support.

Thanks, @Rex,

Hopefully Monday, I'll find out if UPS delivers as they've said would happen. Some improvement on the home front regards my FM9 which remained in MA over the weekend...UPS states that my FM9 has now departed the MA facility @12:15AM and is now traveling to the next facility.

I was genuinely concerned this weekend when there was no movement since 06/03 8:13 AM. Honestly, I don't know or understand much about how UPS does business; their phone service reps were kind enough to reassure me that it wouldn't be too long a wait.

Although I really detest guessing games, this is one case where not knowing about something that would normally be within one's control can cause a minor irritation. I'm sure that many people feel the same. We all like to enjoy some modest amount of knowing the facts, but when the facts aren't present, all we can do it think it's really just misinformation that we need to cope with. And because those who present the facts, if they don't know, they prefer to remain silent rather than insert foot too quickly.

Hope that Matt gets to take that break every once in a while. The admins sometimes are the first to hear about things when something goes awry, and I'm sure that if something does, they will.

Last edited:
Thanks, @Rex,

Hopefully Monday, I'll find out if UPS delivers as they've said would happen. Some improvement on the home front regards my FM9 which remained in MA over the weekend...UPS states that my FM9 has now departed the MA facility @12:15AM and is now traveling to the next facility.

I was genuinely concerned this weekend when there was no movement since 06/03 8:13 AM. Honestly, I don't know or understand much about how UPS does business; their phone service reps were kind enough to reassure me that it wouldn't be too long a wait.

Although I really detest guessing games, this is one case where not knowing about something that would normally be within one's control can cause a minor irritation. I'm sure that many people feel the same. We all like to enjoy some modest amount of knowing the facts, but when the facts aren't present, all we can do it think it's really just misinformation that we need to cope with. And because those who present the facts, if they don't know, they prefer to remain silent rather than insert foot too quickly.

Hope that Matt gets to take that break every once in a while. The admins sometimes are the first to hear about things when something goes awry, and I'm sure that if something does, they will.
You'll find out. :)

May your UPS experience be swift and uneventful.

News from UPS:
FM9 is OFD today. I await with baited breath the possibility that my FM9 has been altered to a FM9T without additional cost...
The only downside is that FAS may have been unaware that my FM9 was an FM9 Standard, not an FM9T, and that I'll soon receive a FrankenFM9T...

Last edited:
Yep, they knew, and restored my FM9 with the older standard DSP. FM9 arrived about 10 minutes ago...just about to unbox and set about restoring it to my Duo 24. Many thanks to Fractal Service for their 1-day receipt/repair/return shipment.

Only my amp tech who used to retube/bias/speaker swap my old amps was faster, and that's because I'd bring my amp direct to him and wait while he did the work.

Difference with FAS is, there wasn't a bench/parts fee (was still within the 3-yr warranty) and they return shipped/insured at no cost.

Yep, they knew, and restored my FM9 with the older standard DSP. FM9 arrived about 10 minutes ago...just about to unbox and set about restoring it to my Duo 24. Many thanks to Fractal Service for their 1-day receipt/repair/return shipment.

Only my amp tech who used to retube/bias/speaker swap my old amps was faster, and that's because I'd bring my amp direct to him and wait while he did the work.

Difference with FAS is, there wasn't a bench/parts fee (was still within the 3-yr warranty) and they return shipped/insured at no cost.
And you’re back up and running! Woot!

And you’re back up and running! Woot!
Yup. My only concern is that one of the rubber feet screw holes is stripped (a M3.5 x 16mm won't fit anymore) and I tried putting a toothpick shim in the hole to give the screw something to hold onto. The dang shim dropped into the screw hole into the FM9. It's only a tiny piece of toothpick, but still...any idea of how to allow the screw to hang onto something that will keep it safe and secure? A stripped bread bag wire?

All else was reinstalled (systems, cabs, presets, 2 separate presets that were not previously backed up...) no problem. Also got the PDL 1 and external stand-in switch to work correctly.

any idea of how to allow the screw to hang onto something that will keep it safe and secure?
Liquid Metal (JB Weld) will work. You can retap the hole with the screw.

You can try putting some solder across the hole and retapping it. I just bought a set of Burstbuckers and someone used oversized screws in the bridge plate, so the adjustment screws wouldn’t hold. Worked well…still holding. Here’s a couple of pics.

IMG_3003.jpegIMG_3004.jpeg

Liquid Metal (JB Weld) will work. You can retap the hole with the screw.

You can try putting some solder across the hole and retapping it. I just bought a set of Burstbuckers and someone used oversized screws in the bridge plate, so the adjustment screws wouldn’t hold. Worked well…still holding. Here’s a couple of pics.

View attachment 121766View attachment 121767
Thanks. How do you apply the Liquid Metal? A drop or 2 across the top of the hole? My concern is that when it was observed that the toothpicks dropped into the hole, it's likely that any liquid applied will also drip through the hole into the FM9 framework cavity. My preference is to not use solder because any solidified solder that gets loose inside the FM9 will pose a problem. That, and I don't think a M3.5 tapping drill bit is available. I've got a small set of metric tapping bits, but I'll need to check to be sure...EDIT: Nope. M3.0 and M4.0. Will need to check online...

Last edited:
Thanks. How do you apply the Liquid Metal? A drop or 2 across the top of the hole? My concern is that when it was observed that the toothpicks dropped into the hole, it's likely that any liquid applied will also drip through the hole into the FM9 framework cavity. My preference is to not use solder because any solidified solder that gets loose inside the FM9 will pose a problem.
It’s actually not a liquid, it’s a putty that comes in two parts, like an epoxy. Not sure why they call it liquid metal. I’ve used it to repair a fuel line, coming out of the fuel tank, that was leaking. Worked great and it hardens like metal and you can drill it or tap it, just like metal.

It’s actually not a liquid, it’s a putty that comes in two parts, like an epoxy. Not sure why they call it liquid metal. I’ve used it to repair a fuel line, coming out of the fuel tank, that was leaking. Worked great and it hardens like metal and you can drill it or tap it, just like metal.
Will check home improvement stores in a minute, but will also need to find a M3.5 tap drill bit...

Will check home improvement stores in a minute, but will also need to find a M3.5 tap drill bit...
I would just use a slightly smaller drill bit, then use the screw to tap the hole. Try it first on a scrap piece of sheet metal or something similar. That’s what I did on the Humbucker backplates.

Another option is to get a screw the next size or two up and see if it holds in the existing hole.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom