FM9 Firmware Version 6.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So save is required only for presets to be gapless? I don't switch presets unless I change songs so I didn't even test that.
The scene switches seem smoother without saving though. I only gave it a minute though to test that things still work.
From the OP:
For preset changes to use the gapless switching the preset must be saved under the currently running firmware version.

1) does the speaker drive and speaker thump need the amp to be reset to reflect those changes?
Yes... Or set them manually.
2) as far as the triode algorithm updating upon recall of preset, I assume that means since I updated on a blank preset that the triode algorithm updated when I went back to my main preset?
When a preset is loaded, the algorithm is loaded.

Existing presets are automatically updated upon recall.

This new update is amazing! I was previously on v4.01 I think, and the difference under the fingers is awesome! I don’t know what it is; everything just sounds better; the base tone, the delay, the reverb, the pitch, the chorus; everything just sounds smooth but clear and punchy! I just tried it at church rehearsal, and it’s wild! This is my first time trying the dynacabs live. I didn’t actually use them; I use the York Mesa 212 mix 1 in my preset, but before rehearsal, I was A/B ing between that and the dynacab Mesa slant, and while they didn’t sound exactly alike, of course because one is a 212 and one is a 412–the York was a little more forward and thumpy in the midrange without ever getting brash or harsh—the dynacab with a 57 and 121 sounded quite similar and shared the same type of flavor Mesa flavor. It’s MEGA fun moving those mics! Haha

But the sound overall is just clearer and punchier. I use the AC20 Treble model, and while fractal always sounds amazing, this new firmware is something really special! It’s like it sounds just as full as it did before, but somehow less murky in the low mids, and clearer in the top end, but not fizzy. Not that those were crazy issues pre Beta 6, but I notice the tonal improvements and it’s such a joy to play! I really thank the Lord and am so thankful to Cliff, Matt, and the Fractal team who work on this stuff!

I also noticed that my drives sound clearer; BB and KOT; and the Shred Distortion which I use for leads and heavier tones sounded louder than before; no biggie; I just adjusted the volume, but everything is so dynamic and clear! (that pedal is a sleeper by the way!! I don’t hear many people talk about the Shred Distortion model, but it rules going into a clean pedal platform amp! Although now with gapless switching, I may just switch to a 2203 or something similar!)

This is just so amazing! The reverbs and delays sound clearer too. Even my pitch which I use for a POG style effect sounds clearer, more dynamic, and even more real like that POG sound. Maybe it’s the way it hits the amp now; I dunno, but this is so awesome!!!

Ok, rant done hahaha

Is anyone else able to perform a backup since the update? I have updated the firmware and the FM9 edit software. I cannot back anything up, getting this message-

Message timeout: Bank A, patch 0 (1 of 128)

Does not matter if I try to backup with everything checked or try on at a time I get this message.

Is this not able to backup due to it being beta firmware?
I haven’t had any trouble backing up with any version of the firmware, beta or full release.

Like you all, I can't wait to download and install this amazing new update. However, I do have a question, that stems from pure technical curiosity, and specifically as it relates to the "gapless" preset changes...

Why now? What I mean by this, is, it is my understanding that this has been a requested feature, from time immemorial, in the Fractal ecosystem. What has changed to allow this feature now, versus, well, at least since the introduction of the AFXIII and FM9 architecture?

Was it strictly a question of Fractal's internal prioritization of feature-set enhancements?

I guess the question I am dancing around is the following -- has this welcome (but out-of-the-blue) implementation of a gapless preset switching necessitated some limitation / reduction / decrease in available memory or DSP power responsible for the modeling fidelity, as compared to prior firmware? More to the point, has their been a performance compromise that had to be made, in order to implement this feature?

Hope this is read as a cordial and respectful question.

P.S. -- yes, I understand that this feature can optionally be disabled. My question relates to what is happening, under-the-hood, when it is enabled. Are there any associated computational compromises to the DSP processing of the modeling algorithms, over-sampling, reduction in quality of processor intensive effects (e.g. reverbs), etc.?

Last edited:
Perhaps some blocks have larger short-term spikes in CPU usage than others? CPU usage per block seems to have some dynamic qualities....
That’s what i was thinking: sometimes i have presets that work just fine at 82-83 and others that cut off at 81-82.
Only The Man can know

Like you all, I can't wait to download and install this amazing new update. However, I do have a question, that stems from pure technical curiosity, and specifically as it relates to the "gapless" preset changes...

Why now? What I mean by this, is, it is my understanding that this has been a requested feature, from time immemorial, in the Fractal ecosystem. What has changed to allow this feature now, versus, well, at least since the introduction of the AFXIII and FM9 architecture?

Was it strictly a question of Fractal's internal prioritization of feature-set enhancements?

I guess the question I am dancing around is the following -- has this welcome (but out-of-the-blue) implementation of a gapless preset switching necessitated some limitation / reduction / decrease in available memory or DSP power responsible for the modeling fidelity, as compared to prior firmware? More to the point, has their been a performance compromise that had to be made, in order to implement this feature?

Hope this is read as a cordial and respectful question.

P.S. -- yes, I understand that this feature can optionally be disabled. My question relates to what is happening, under-the-hood, when it is enabled. Are there any associated computational compromises to the DSP processing of the modeling algorithms, over-sampling, reduction in quality of processor intensive effects (e.g. reverbs), etc.?
@Tritium3H,

Although I can't speak for myself (my presets all clock in at less than 68% CPU usage per v. 5.01), others, including some of the beta testers, have reported lowered CPU usage when the front panel SetUp > Global > Config > Gapless Switching is set to All. Notably, though, if one chooses None, presets already tasking at 80+% will increase in CPU usage, whereas when Gapless is set to All, presets tasking at 80+% will see a decrease of CPU usage.

Although my knowledge of what is under the hood is limited, it is apparent the CPU runs cooler (read: uses less CPU) when Spillover and Gapless are both set to All. The how and why may be proprietary FAS knowledge for their product, and trying to wrest Cliff or the other beta testers of this info might not be welcomed.

Cliff uses specific algorithms, hardware, firmware and software for his products. You may simply need to accept the good things we receive and not look the gift horse in the mouth trying to see the how and why of things.

For example, when it rains, I'm thankful for warm gentle rains, because I know that's what helps our food sources grow. I don't need to have a working knowledge of advanced meteorology to accept that moderate rain helps insure good crop growth. Likewise, it's perfectly acceptable to be thankful for gapless switching, though you don't need an advanced degree in engineering to be thankful.

My question relates to what is happening, under-the-hood, when it is enabled. Are there any associated computational compromises to the DSP processing of the modeling algorithms, over-sampling, reduction in quality of processor intensive effects (e.g. reverbs), etc.?
My programmer guess is that each output block now includes a small-ish internal buffer, that on scene/preset change, plays the last 'n' milliseconds of pre-change audio output (a hold/freeze) on a background thread whilst the main thread loads the new settings. The small increase in DSP % would come from the output blocks having to continuously feed the buffers.

Last edited:
Hi all...
It states "An updated version of FM9-Edit is required for use with this release:
Link pending
Where do I get the link?
Cheers

I tested this some more and I am very stumped as to what is going on. This is in regards to the post above. I did some more testing and see this behavior-

This is all happening in FM9 edit, the version that was just posted earlier today.

1. Preset 463 Plexi amped, I have four scenes. Each scene has the 1987x amp on it on a different channel with different settings on each channel. Not a complex preset, amp, delay, reverb , filter and a volume pan. I lower the speaker resonance, both high and low on each scene and save it. If I change scenes the settings I see on the cab tab on the amp for resonance it is changed back to the much higher high and low settings before the save.

This is where it gets odd. If I switch down to preset 462 using the - button and then go back up to preset 463 using the + button I see my changes, the speaker resonance settings are at the lower setting. If I use the + button and go to preset 464 and and then go back to preset 463 using the - button the resonance is back to the higher default setting. I can go back down to 462 and then come back up to 463 using the + button the lower settings are showing again.

I have not changed anything outside of switch presets up and down with the + and - symbols in FM9 edit.

The preset in slot 464 will not save these settings, no matter what I do as soon as I change scenes or go up or down a preset it shows the higher resonance settings despite me having saved it,

Truly stumped here.
You probably have Auto Speaker Impedance turned on.

Ive spent some more time looking at the ODS volume issue - created a new preset and setup from scratch and see same volume drop issue - if you scroll past the Fox ODS, Mr MZ-8, ODS models in the amp picker window the volume drops dramatically!

I have resaved existing presets using the ODS models and the volume drops once resaved - tried this on my AXEFX II aswell and the same happens (Volume drops once preset modified under latest firmware). So has the ODS models modelling method changed ? How do i retain the volume without cranking the amp block output level to +12db which then kills my ears (wear headphones) when scrolling through amp models?

Not sure it's just my imagination, but it sure feels like the latency reduction in the amp model block makes a significant difference in the sound and feel of the FM9. I especially noticed the difference when I was using my drop pedal. Not sure why but it sounds more natural with the drop pedal than it did before. Again, maybe its just me.

Ive spent some more time looking at the ODS volume issue - created a new preset and setup from scratch and see same volume drop issue - if you scroll past the Fox ODS, Mr MZ-8, ODS models in the amp picker window the volume drops dramatically!

I have resaved existing presets using the ODS models and the volume drops once resaved - tried this on my AXEFX II aswell and the same happens (Volume drops once preset modified under latest firmware). So has the ODS models modelling method changed ? How do i retain the volume without cranking the amp block output level to +12db which then kills my ears (wear headphones) when scrolling through amp models?
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-firmware-version-6-00-public-beta-1.201261/post-2514446

Bug: I'm not sure if this is an FM9 or Editor issue however I'm getting volume spikes when loading up empty presets via FM9-Edit. I've captured a video of the behaviour.

If I copy a preset into any of the blank slots it will load and perform normally however the empty fields are giving me bad rave party vibes...

Video of the bug is here

Bug: I'm not sure if this is an FM9 or Editor issue however I'm getting volume spikes when loading up empty presets via FM9-Edit. I've captured a video of the behaviour.

If I copy a preset into any of the blank slots it will load and perform normally however the empty fields are giving me bad rave party vibes...

Video of the bug is here
Do you have the latest FM9 editor that was released yesterday ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom