First Practice with QSC HPR122i - really need advice?

AdmiralB said:
FWIW I agree with this...the HPR goes into 'LED protect' really quickly, if you're playing in a REALLY F7CKING LOUD band, they won't be enough.
If you can't get enough from a 400-watt active monitor like the QSC, you are causing permanent damage to your hearing every time you play or rehearse.

rsf1977 said:
Sidivan said:
get an SPL meter and put it in the room. The QSC is rated to 120db, IIRC. If you're topped out at 60db, something's wrong. If you're hitting 120db, you're deaf or you will be in another week or so.

Science! now we're talking. Any idea where to get a cheap reliable one? I've never even seen an SPL meter I don't know much about that stuff lol
Radio Shack. Seriously.
With proper calibration, it's apparently really accurate for the price, except at very low volumes.
I can't recall which is the "better" one between the analog and digital, but I think it was generally digital just for ease-of-use reasons.

Having used a QSC next to a Marshall 100 watt half stack on stage, something is seriously wrong somewhere in your chain or gain staging or with your equipment physically. The QSC can crank so loud it'll kill animals and small children within a few yards radius. No kidding either. Remember, it IS a PA... something is wrong.

Scott Peterson said:
Having used a QSC next to a Marshall 100 watt half stack on stage, something is seriously wrong somewhere in your chain or gain staging or with your equipment physically. The QSC can crank so loud it'll kill animals and small children within a few yards radius. No kidding either. Remember, it IS a PA... something is wrong.

well I'll try to post the patch i was using later and maybe you can let me know if it was something I did wrong actually i went through a bunch of patches and quite a bit i downloaded from the community and nothing seemed noticably better or worse between them.

Jay Mitchell said:
AdmiralB said:
FWIW I agree with this...the HPR goes into 'LED protect' really quickly, if you're playing in a REALLY F7CKING LOUD band, they won't be enough.
If you can't get enough from a 400-watt active monitor like the QSC, you are causing permanent damage to your hearing every time you play or rehearse.

well that's assuming it's function correctly I guess. I seriously hope it's broken because I don't want to go back to the 4x12 world. And we wear 29db reducing ear plugs. And trust me I had my ear plugs out at first to see what it sounded like and it was in no way frighteningly loud. It was loud but not anything to be scared of at all.

I use an FBT Verve 12ma and our other guitarist uses one of my HPR122i's and we have a drummer that hits really fucking hard and we can drown him out if we want to no problem.

I'll put it this way to explain how loud the QSC sounded. Our drummer who plays moderately hard, not the hardest hitter but not the lightest was playing in a 20 ftx20ft room with about 10-15 ceilings. And my QSC was just barely audible. You could barely hear I was playing above the drums with it as loud as i felt safe making it and I was standing right next to it off to the side a few feet. If that gives some sort of perspective on how loud it was. Also would the fact that it couldn't handle low palm mutes without farting out mean anything to anyone, is that an indication of anything physically wrong?

Any idea of someone in NYC that would be able to diagnose an issue with my QSC any good place to take it?

Ok, here's another question lol. Is Clipping a result of the input being to high? or the gain on the QSC being to high? or is it all relative to both things?

I don't have any experience with the QSC, but clipping can be related to both. If you're output is too hot on the Axe, you're going to distort the input of the QSC. If your output on the Axe is too low and you've got the QSC cranked, you'll get speaker breakup. Normally you want to balance everything so no 1 amplification is handling the entire signal.

Sidivan said:
I don't have any experience with the QSC, but clipping can be related to both. If you're output is too hot on the Axe, you're going to distort the input of the QSC. If your output on the Axe is too low and you've got the QSC cranked, you'll get speaker breakup. Normally you want to balance everything so no 1 amplification is handling the entire signal.

How do all you guys with 122i set up your knobs? Maybe I'm off somewhere?

Well... FWIW... and admittedly it’s probably not much…this is how I would trouble shoot your problem...

Start with the easy stuff... and keep it simple

First I would Use the global by-pass function on the AXE... See if you get an increase in Volume... if so, you know you need to tweak your Axe...

Second I would change the cable from the AXE to the QSC...

Third I would check the QSC with some other device... CD/MP3 player... Mic... whatever...

Hope it helps...

My system is 150W with a single 10 and theet aray... and from what you described I could completely drown your drummer out! :cool:

guitarded said:
Well... FWIW... and admittedly it’s probably not much…this is how I would trouble shoot your problem...

Start with the easy stuff... and keep it simple

First I would Use the global by-pass function on the AXE... See if you get an increase in Volume... if so, you know you need to tweak your Axe...

Second I would change the cable from the AXE to the QSC...

Third I would check the QSC with some other device... CD/MP3 player... Mic... whatever...

Hope it helps...

My system is 150W with a single 10 and theet aray... and from what you described I could completely drown you drummer out! :cool:

good point i'll start some testing when i get back in the studio and see what's what. Thanks everyone

Jay Mitchell said:

True, IF you don't use hearing protection or in-ears. Assuming can be a bad thing.

The HPRs get loud. The clipping threshold is surprisingly low, however.

Something is definitely not right. I was using a Ferve 8ma this afternoon and my wife was complaining that I was rattling the windows in the upstair bathroom and this is only 200 watts. I own 4 QSCs that I use as FOH and they can get LOUD!

Jim :!:

I dont know.

From my "7 FRFR solutions auditioned" thread I felt the 122i wasnt very loud. As was pointed out in the thread I was listening at around 10meters - BUT, the Coda I tried was WAY louder (despite only having an sPL of 1 db higher) and the RCF ART 722a (whose quoted SPL is 2 db less) was quite a bit louder as well.

This went for the K12 and 122i.

I just think the QSCs arnt as loud as there rated.

I didnt think either would cope as backline in a live band situation.

I know others feel there fine and all power - but most are using them as monitors not backline.

AdmiralB said:
rsf1977 said:
How do all you guys with 122i set up your knobs? Maybe I'm off somewhere?

I crank the gain on the QSC and control the volume with the Axe.

Curious about where your axe output knob is set with the QSC cranked? Is it safe to keep the QSC cranked full out? I'm new to all this non tube FRFR setup stuff so it's all new territory for me.

Don't know about the QSCs but thats how I run my FRFR... volume on full and use the out put of the AXE to adjust level on stage...

Well, I remember a while back there was a conversation on how to control the overall volume (QSC GX5 into two 4x12 cabs, same principle could be applied to FRFR)... Initially I had set the stereo QSC volumes to the max and controlled the volume with the Axe-fx output volume... then someone recommended to have your Axe-fx close to max (I have mine set at 3 o'clock) and control the volume with the power amp and it made a difference... not huge but enough to have me keep my Axe-fx on 3 o'clock. The difference was that it had a bit more bite/growl overall... the other thing is when you have the power amp cranked and the Axe-fx singal low you technically (not that I know what I'm talking about) are playing with more power amp "noise" than actual signal... where as if you have the Axe-fx crank you're turning up more signal than power amp "noise"... however subtle it is. Hope this makes sense.

Just thought of a great example... it's the same principle of "checking the mic"... you want the most signal by adjusting the gain right before you clip... then you adjust with your fader... in this case your fader is your power amp volume(s).

Back
Top Bottom