First Practice with QSC HPR122i - really need advice?

rsf1977

Fractal Fanatic
So I took my QSC HPR122i out for it's first real world test at band practice. And I have to say I couldn't get it to be loud enough at all not even close, but I'm not going to blame the unit just quite yet. So I'm looking for some advice. I had the QSC output gain knob set between 12-2pm at various points, it was set to Full Range (I even tried it with low freq cut on), and the Ultra Output around the 12-2pm. I noticed I couldn't really get the QSC turned up any higher without running into the limiting LED popping on. I also noticed when I would let a big open Drop-A palm mute ring out the speaker seemed to be overloaded and couldn't handle it at this higher volume. I will say this though, at lower volumes it sounds great and I had no issues. I also then turned on a mesa half stack next to it and it ate the QSC, massive volume and it wasn't even being pushed much.

After this test I can't see how 1 QSC HPR122i could ever carry a room in a metal band, but probably could in a mellower setting in a small bar. But like I said I may be dong something wrong, but my goal is to have a setup that can carry the room if I need to and right now I'm frustrated and trying to figure this out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

QSC HPR122i Product Page: http://www.qscaudio.com/products/speakers/hpr/hpr122i.htm

That's not "normal". My QSC would shake the house and rattle the windows at those settings.

Make sure you are hitting the Axe input hard (red light coming on periodically). Adjust internal mixers/outputs, etc. to maximum signal path levels prior to internal clipping. Make sure you've got the proper output method selected (i.e. L+R sum, etc.). Check your cable.

Or maybe you just play in a really, really, really loud band?

I agree something's not right check all your levels across the board and check your QSC with a mic direct in to be sure it's working okay. If that doesn't solve it tell everyone to turn the f#@$ down they're way too loud.

examiner said:
That's not "normal". My QSC would shake the house and rattle the windows at those settings.

Make sure you are hitting the Axe input hard (red light coming on periodically). Adjust internal mixers/outputs, etc. to maximum signal path levels prior to internal clipping. Make sure you've got the proper output method selected (i.e. L+R sum, etc.). Check your cable.

Or maybe you just play in a really, really, really loud band?

well the Input was flicking red set like everyone says around 1-2pm. My patch was set just low enough not to clip the output. I tried L+R sum and just L. nothing seemed to change. And my band isn't crazy lout at all we were even playing kind of low to compensate for the lack of volume coming from the unit. I'm curious if I have a bum QSC? It doesn't have the locking powercord so i guess it's an older production model. And i got it on ebay so maybe I need to go test it out in a store next to another unit? Man does it ever get easier lol.

geetarman said:
I agree something's not right check all your levels across the board and check your QSC with a mic direct in to be sure it's working okay. If that doesn't solve it tell everyone to turn the f#@$ down they're way too loud.

I'm not sure what exactly do you mean by " check your QSC with a mic direct"? And trust me we weren't all that loud nothing unusual for the type of music we play there's no OMG my ears are exploding thing going on here.

rsf1977 said:
So I took my QSC HPR122i out for it's first real world test at band practice. And I have to say I couldn't get it to be loud enough at all not even close, but I'm not going to blame the unit just quite yet. So I'm looking for some advice. I had the QSC output gain knob set between 12-2pm at various points, it was set to Full Range (I even tried it with low freq cut on), and the Ultra Output around the 12-2pm. I noticed I couldn't really get the QSC turned up any higher without running into the limiting LED popping on. I also noticed when I would let a big open Drop-A palm mute ring out the speaker seemed to be overloaded and couldn't handle it at this higher volume. I will say this though, at lower volumes it sounds great and I had no issues. I also then turned on a mesa half stack next to it and it ate the QSC, massive volume and it wasn't even being pushed much.

After this test I can't see how 1 QSC HPR122i could ever carry a room in a metal band, but probably could in a mellower setting in a small bar. But like I said I may be dong something wrong, but my goal is to have a setup that can carry the room if I need to and right now I'm frustrated and trying to figure this out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm with you... I just don't see how one 12 inch speaker and a tweeter can compare to a massive 4x12 cab!!!! And I'm running two 4x12's stacked!!!!

FractalAudio said:
The QSC here is ridiculously loud. Something is not right.

Any ideas what the issue might be? I noticed on the unit when I would try to let a Drop-A palm mute just bloom the speaker seemed to not be able to handle it. I kind of looked like it was pushing forward as far as it could toward the grill to try and produce the sound but was unable to completely? I also noticed a vlume drop once or twice for a brief period which i thought might be due to over heating from it being pushed over a period? Not sure what's going on?

Eveyone has different definitions of what loud is. I'm guessing your definition is 30 dB more than mine.

Get yourself a good stereo power amp and a couple 4x12's.

FractalAudio said:
Eveyone has different definitions of what loud is. I'm guessing your definition is 30 dB more than mine.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that lol…

I think you just have the wrong gear for the job. That sucks, huh?

For all their imperfections, there's still nothing quite like a 4x12 cab. I wouldn't dream of lugging them around again, but I can't say that the memory of playing with one doesn't bring a smile to my face.

D

rsf1977 said:
geetarman said:

I'm not sure what exactly do you mean by " check your QSC with a mic direct"? And trust me we weren't all that loud nothing unusual for the type of music we play there's no OMG my ears are exploding thing going on here.

Just plug a mic directly into the QSC and see if you're getting good volume.

rsf1977 said:
FractalAudio said:

I think you should try to borrow another QSC to compare against yours, seems like somethings wrong. Mine would kill small animals within a one mile radius at full volume. Only one 12" speaker, but it's being hit with 400 watts and it's designed to handle it, unlike your average guitar speaker. Then there's another 100 watts to the tweeter, in case your ears aren't bleeding fast enough already.

Robboman said:
rsf1977 said:
FractalAudio said:

I think you should try to borrow another QSC to compare against yours, seems like somethings wrong. Mine would kill small animals within a one mile radius at full volume. Only one 12" speaker, but it's being hit with 400 watts and it's designed to handle it, unlike your average guitar speaker. Then there's another 100 watts to the tweeter, in case your ears aren't bleeding fast enough already.

Yea I guess I'll have to try that next. Man I swear if it ain't one thing it's another…

dk_ace said:
I think you just have the wrong gear for the job. That sucks, huh?

For all their imperfections, there's still nothing quite like a 4x12 cab. I wouldn't dream of lugging them around again, but I can't say that the memory of playing with one doesn't bring a smile to my face.

D

yea I know this 1 speaker big sound idea was like a dream come true lol. I hope the unit is just defective or something

geetarman said:
rsf1977 said:
geetarman said:

Just plug a mic directly into the QSC and see if you're getting good volume.

I'll try that next time I'm at the studio

get an SPL meter and put it in the room. The QSC is rated to 120db, IIRC. If you're topped out at 60db, something's wrong. If you're hitting 120db, you're deaf or you will be in another week or so.

Sidivan said:
get an SPL meter and put it in the room. The QSC is rated to 120db, IIRC. If you're topped out at 60db, something's wrong. If you're hitting 120db, you're deaf or you will be in another week or so.

Science! now we're talking. Any idea where to get a cheap reliable one? I've never even seen an SPL meter I don't know much about that stuff lol

rsf1977 said:
I also then turned on a mesa half stack next to it and it ate the QSC, massive volume and it wasn't even being pushed much.

:( :?
I suspect something's wrong with QSC poweramp.

FWIW I agree with this...the HPR goes into 'LED protect' really quickly, if you're playing in a REALLY F7CKING LOUD band, they won't be enough.

That's why God invented PAs.

Back
Top Bottom