FAMC LF+ and FAS Axe-Fx II Tutorial

I updated the Tutorial and added how to Toggle Scenes and keep all Scene displays in sync by using the Programming Functions "IF Processing Trigger, Skip" and "IA ON Trig"

I want to thank Jeff, the owner of FAMC, for taking the time to show me how to do this :)

I just added a sysex programming file that has an example of how to Toggle Scenes.

The file is named "LF+ PRO+_00_2015_04_10(20-31-23) v4.18 Scene Toggles.syx"

Click the link below, then open the folder "LF+ Editor Sysex Files" then the folder "GotMetalBoy"

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/heghqmz9onvv948/AAAoMDfXXg4ZTEB7cCsPBnwUa?dl=0

NOTE: The original file I had linked to named "LF+ PRO+_00_2015_04_08(22-08-34) v4.17 Scene Toggles.sys" had some programming mistakes

Last edited:
Hey Lou,

I just now got to looking over your tut on the LF+! Great initiative and quite an undertaking. Badly needed as well. FAMCs documentation is sadly lacking.

We should agree on a naming convention, I call the button set that is displayed on the unit (12 for the 12+, 24 for the pro+) a "Display" since the name "Page" is already used for all 60 buttons. Maybe we could call them windows. But that has connotations too. Maybe "Range" is a good word or you can think of something better. But the programming calls it "Page Button Display Start" so i guess Display is the best name for now.
So, for my 12+ I can use 5 displays on a page, a Pro+ has 2 1/2, a Jr+ has 7 1/2.

My programming is already in the dropbox. I'm using two functions of button nr 12 to switch to both other displays that I've programmed in that page. My pages have a main display with all the most important functions, a secondary display with lesser used functions and an administrative display with stuff like switching to several other pages and the menu button. So, my button 12 is reserved for display shifting. On my main display, display1 (btns 1-12) the first function is shifting to display2 (13-24), second function shifts to display3 (25-36). On display2 the first function takes me to the main display1, second to display3. On display3, first function is again main and second is page 2. I acn get from any page to the others fast and the most important ones are on top.

I disabled the button 2+3 access to the menu system on my setlist-mode-page because I stepped on those buttons once by accident (I have size 14 feet) and found myself in the menu. Exiting the menu I found myself in song 1 of the setlist. trying to get to song 5 fast, which we were playing, I overshot and ended up in song 6 and needed to go one down again. All of which while I was playing and trying not to lose myself because my solo (and a scene change!) was coming up.
I tried later and found I returned to the correct song when entering and exiting the menu, so I don't know what happened there, I must have pressed something else to cause it to go to song 1. Don't remember. Can't repeat it. Won't happen again.

So. Some ramblings.
I hope there's something you can use here. Loving my 12+ more and more.

HI i was wondering this so insted of it just saying scene 1, scene 2 etc...i can name them? is that correct? thanks

HI i was wondering this so insted of it just saying scene 1, scene 2 etc...i can name them? is that correct? thanks
Yes. You can name the IA Slot that defines the scene, which will then always be displayed as that on the buttons you assign that IA Slot to.

But you can also assign the IA-slot to take one of 10 Preset Labels. The preset labels are defined in the preset. So in any preset you can name the IA differently. Suppose you assign preset label 3 to scene3 in the IA-slot then in any preset that IA-slot is used it will display whatever is defined in preset label 3.

Yes. You can name the IA Slot that defines the scene, which will then always be displayed as that on the buttons you assign that IA Slot to.

But you can also assign the IA-slot to take one of 10 Preset Labels. The preset labels are defined in the preset. So in any preset you can name the IA differently. Suppose you assign preset label 3 to scene3 in the IA-slot then in any preset that IA-slot is used it will display whatever is defined in preset label 3.

OK thanks..So i just did that with my main preset for the scenes and it worked great. So if i go up to anther preset the scene names are the same from my main preset. How do i make them change for each preset, is that what you are saying about assigning the IA-Slot?

OK thanks..So i just did that with my main preset for the scenes and it worked great. So if i go up to anther preset the scene names are the same from my main preset. How do i make them change for each preset, is that what you are saying about assigning the IA-Slot?
There were two methods in my previous post. The first is the same for all presets. The second can name an IA Slot differently in any preset.

In the editor on the IA Slot tab there is a parameter called IA label. You can give the IA Slot a number there. On the preset there is a list on the far right, next to the midi command window. Fill in a name in the appropriate box in the list there and that is what will show on the page=on the LCD on the actual unit. You can change those for every preset and as soon as the preset is sent the names of the scenes in the LCDs will change. It is advisable if you have a standard order for your scenes to fill those in first and right click to copy them to all presets. After that you only need to change the ones where you deviate from that standard.

If you have the list of presets on the left side of the window open it will shift the row to the right and the IA names column will fall outside of the window.

The IA-Slot is purely the info for a specific function. It's the message that is being sent and tells whatever unit it is controlling exactly what to do. A scene IA is one of those. The preset is a collection of those messages: a collection of IA-Slots and the states in which they will be when the preset is sent. A page is an allocation grid, it puts presets and loose IA-Slots in specific places on a virtual board of which a part is visible on the actual Liquid Foot unit.

Then the thing where the LF+ is different from the RJM devices AFAIK is that the LFs have another layer in between the IA Slots and the pages that is the IA map. IA maps are just lists of IA-Slots. Changing the order or contents of the list changes where on the page the IA Slots are placed. This way the same page can have different layouts and presets can choose which layout is shown on the unit. It also makes the 180 possible IA's available to the 60 slots on a page.
I think the added value of this is limited opposed to the straight 180 IA list on the RJM units, it does complicate the LF+ system.

Last edited:
You can take that last line to mean: it complicated the LF system for me.

Phew. Took me a while to get my head around that one.

HI Dutch, thanks for the help..would you know how to invert or change the way an expression pedal turns on? Right now i have an expression pedal hooked up to jack 1 and i have it turning on when i move the pedal..Right now it has to be in the Toe position to turn off, i want it in heel position..Cant figure out how to do it with the LF+..thanks

HI Dutch, thanks for the help..would you know how to invert or change the way an expression pedal turns on? Right now i have an expression pedal hooked up to jack 1 and i have it turning on when i move the pedal..Right now it has to be in the Toe position to turn off, i want it in heel position..Cant figure out how to do it with the LF+..thanks

You could try to invert the sweep range on the SETTINGS tab in the editor.

If you click the settings tab, at the bottom of that screen is the programming for the 4 expression ports. There is a MIN and MAX range. You could try setting the MIN at 127, and the MAX at 0.

Unfortunately for me, there is a bug with the MAC editor, and I can't change those fields, to verify that this suggestion has any merit.

Hopefully you are not using the MAC version of 4.19.

Good luck.

You could try to invert the sweep range on the SETTINGS tab in the editor.

If you click the settings tab, at the bottom of that screen is the programming for the 4 expression ports. There is a MIN and MAX range. You could try setting the MIN at 127, and the MAX at 0.

Unfortunately for me, there is a bug with the MAC editor, and I can't change those fields, to verify that this suggestion has any merit.

Hopefully you are not using the MAC version of 4.19.

Good luck.

HI thanks, i tried that but i cant change the value..it does a drop down ith all the numbers but when i try and select 0 for Max or vice versa it wont change? maybe a bug as well.?

I contacted support and they said:
"as for inverting expression pedals- you can not do that with min/max. You can ONLY do it using the INVERT programming command for slot#2. Many effects units allow you to invert, leaving the pedal normal- so make sure you can't do it that way.

to invert the output, create a slot 2 CC#, midi# and then invert programming command. It will spit out the exp pedal values In reverse. I will ask Jeff if he can add an invert button for the exp pedal."

I contacted support and they said:
"as for inverting expression pedals- you can not do that with min/max. You can ONLY do it using the INVERT programming command for slot#2. Many effects units allow you to invert, leaving the pedal normal- so make sure you can't do it that way.

to invert the output, create a slot 2 CC#, midi# and then invert programming command. It will spit out the exp pedal values In reverse. I will ask Jeff if he can add an invert button for the exp pedal."

HI thanks for the info. I actaully figured it out, something was backward in the Axe-fx in the modifier now it works. thanks for the help

Hi all

Thanks to all of you that contributed to this tutorial, very helpful to start with a LF+ device!

I just received my LF+ Mini and I have to admit that I understand the person who said that he would not recommend to buy a FL+ device. I have an iMac and an old Windows XP: I've tried to install drivers/editor on both and I had trouble on both. And it's still not working well. The Auto Sync options in the editor is still not working and as it has been removed from the firmware (why that by the way?), I don't know how to load presets names... That's really annoying.

So far, I manage a configuration with 3 pages:
- Page 1: bottom row = scene 1 to 5 (with a switch for both scene 2/3), upper row = Preset up/down + tuner + tap temp. Preset up/down not working well so far.
- Page 2: stomp boxes. Its easy to setup.
- Page 3: looper. Not fully tested but the main functions are working.

On all pages, the bottow row 2nd function allows me to change pages (direct link to Page 1, 2 and 3).

So far, my problems are:
- Bank Up/Dows: I've tried using "Function / Preset Up" + "Function/Enter" as 2nd function. It's working for the first change and after buttons are not working anymore. I miss something here but I didn't found what so far. And I've tried to load some of the examples on Dropbox but didn't found any button like those on the examples. But maybe I miss something here...
- AutoSync: not working with the Editor. The function is available in the menu (it took me a while to understand where it was...). But it just freezes the editor. I'll try the option mentionned on the 1st page of this thread (global setting save ia state on sync) to see if it can help.

If anyone has some ideas for those problems, I would be grateful!
Pll.m

Hi all!

So, I solved the problem of "Preset UP/FOWN": there's a little option to activate for those button (PROCESS SCROLLS). So it's working.

Still the AutoSync is not working... I've opened a ticket the first day, no news for 5 days. So I've opened a 2nd ticket yesterday... Waiting...

Back
Top Bottom