FAMC LF+ and FAS Axe-Fx II Tutorial

GotMetalBoy

Power User
FAMC LF+ and FAS Axe-Fx II Real-Time Sync Tutorial

Hey Everyone! I wrote up a quick tutorial on how to setup a LF+ with an Axe-Fx II, so it will sync in real-time similar to the way Total Sync works with the FAS MFC-101. Hopefully this will provide a much better LF+ OOBE.

NOTE: BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES, BACKUP YOUR LF+ & Axe-Fx II!!!!!!

I bought my LF+ PRO+ in December 2014 and really struggled with it bc it came with firmware v4.10 but the manual was from v1.68, which was very outdated and missing lots of info. If you're new to programming a LF+, make sure to do all programming in the LF+ Editor and don't even attempt to program it from the unit. The 2 things that will help you understand the concept a little better are:
1. The Foot Switches are called Buttons
2. You select what each button does by editing the Functions on the Page tab in the LF+ Editor. I was super confused before I figured this out and kept messing with the Preset tab bc that's how I had always programmed other MIDI foot controllers.

I plan to add more to this tutorial as time permits but it walks you through how to:
Backup the LF+ and Axe-Fx II
Sync IA's in Real-Time and show their names on the button displays
Sync Preset names in Real-Time and show their names on the main display and button displays by either pressing a LF+ button or turning the Axe-Fx II Value knob.

Here is the link to my Dropbox shared folder and it contains a Tutorial and my LF+ PRO+ sysex file:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/heghqmz9onvv948/AAAoMDfXXg4ZTEB7cCsPBnwUa?dl=0

Please let me know if I need to make any changes.

Also, I need to thank forum member Voes for sharing his knowledge and awesome website: Liquid-Foot +

NOTE: BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES, BACKUP YOUR LF+ & Axe-Fx II!!!!!!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Anyone check out my Tutorial? Anyone want to share your sysex files? I want to try out some sysex files to see how other people configure their LF+.

I think your tutorial is great. I use a LF Mini+ and figured I would use your guide to wipe the slate clean and reconfigure my Mini. Unfortunately I'm still trying to get through the process because the darn LF editor has crashed every single time I try to go through the process.

If I can get through the process in going to redo my setup to include Presets and Scenes in page 1, and then my most used effects on the following pages. I utilize a Jump Page button for Button 8 which I use to jump between pages and back again. I'm sure there's a more efficient way to do it, but I'm a Midiot so......

Also, I am looking forward to your tutorial on naming scenes.

I think your tutorial is great. I use a LF Mini+ and figured I would use your guide to wipe the slate clean and reconfigure my Mini. Unfortunately I'm still trying to get through the process because the darn LF editor has crashed every single time I try to go through the process.

If I can get through the process in going to redo my setup to include Presets and Scenes in page 1, and then my most used effects on the following pages. I utilize a Jump Page button for Button 8 which I use to jump between pages and back again. I'm sure there's a more efficient way to do it, but I'm a Midiot so......

Also, I am looking forward to your tutorial on naming scenes.

What OS are you using? I've used the Editor with Windows 7 & 8 32 & 64 bit and had no issues besides figuring out how to install unsigned drivers on 64bit but that's in my tutorial.

Would you mind sharing your sysex file? I'd like to try how you jump pages. I have the LF+ Pro+ and I have a button setup to show buttons 1-24 and then 25-48. Buttons 1-24 have Presets, Scenes and IA's and buttons 25-48 have utility stuff like Bank/Song up/down, Tuner, Tap Tempo with blinking Display and Mode change, so I can change from Preset to Song mode. I really wish FAMC would give more example setups including sysex files bc I've wasted so much time with trial and error. Even their new manual v4.10beta is practically useless.

This is a great addition, thx for taking the time.
I am wondering if this might also apply to the LF Pro, the older models of the LF+

Anyone know?

What OS are you using? I've used the Editor with Windows 7 & 8 32 & 64 bit and had no issues besides figuring out how to install unsigned drivers on 64bit but that's in my tutorial.

Would you mind sharing your sysex file? I'd like to try how you jump pages. I have the LF+ Pro+ and I have a button setup to show buttons 1-24 and then 25-48. Buttons 1-24 have Presets, Scenes and IA's and buttons 25-48 have utility stuff like Bank/Song up/down, Tuner, Tap Tempo with blinking Display and Mode change, so I can change from Preset to Song mode. I really wish FAMC would give more example setups including sysex files bc I've wasted so much time with trial and error. Even their new manual v4.10beta is practically useless.

I'm using a Mac with Yosemite, which I've read has had some issues with LF. I actually had to reload my drivers because the editor was not seeing my LF Mini. Anyway, here is the link to my sysex file https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6tzwjb11duzz5s/LF Mini+ AF2 Total Sync.syx?dl=0

Basically I use three pages with the first page containing my three main patches on the top row (clean, mid, and hard rock) and I use a dual IA setup for buttons 1-3 for Scenes 1-6. Button 4 is my Solo or Lead button, which I always assign to Scene 8. My "Jump Page" on Button 8 just jumps to a Page that I set up with three buttons, for Page 1, 2, and 3. This Jump Page is repeated on Page 2 and 3. Page 2 has my most used effects, along with a couple of dual IA buttons for X/Y switching on my drive and phaser. I also put my tap tempo on this page, which isn't really getting used at this point because I'm still learning how to utilize it. Baby steps for me :lol Page 3 has Looper stuff on the bottom row and then a Volume -/+ and Tuner on the top row. The reason I use my quasi-Jump Page is so that if I'm on my mid gain patch, i can jump over to the effects page and switch stuff on and off quickly. Depending on the style of music, I could probably get by playing 80% of my stuff on my mid gain patch this way.

As you can see, I'm seriously under-utilizing the power of the LF but I'm still learning and this is what has worked so far for only having 8 buttons and 1 LCD screen. I have handwritten notes on labels stuck to the Mini to help me remember where most stuff is, although by only using 3 pages I kinda dumbed it down so it's hard for me to forget. Like you said, its all been trial and error....and a few helpful setup videos on Youtube by U2JustMe. Now that I finally have a file saved with my settings, I'll probably load your sysex file up to see how you utilize stuff differently.

Anyone check out my Tutorial? Anyone want to share your sysex files? I want to try out some sysex files to see how other people configure their LF+.

havent checked it out yet.... almost finished my update... (12+) i have had major issues with sync and stuff from very early on... without resolution and been stuck on 3.3 since well 3.3
finally with 4.15 everything has resolved although did require multiple attempts at upgrade.... and then pretty much a complete reprogram.... from scratch despite assurances wasnt required...

no stress getting to know the board again with all the extra features i been missing is cool...

should be done by friday will share then....

Last edited:
I'm using a Mac with Yosemite, which I've read has had some issues with LF. I actually had to reload my drivers because the editor was not seeing my LF Mini. Anyway, here is the link to my sysex file https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6tzwjb11duzz5s/LF Mini+ AF2 Total Sync.syx?dl=0

Basically I use three pages with the first page containing my three main patches on the top row (clean, mid, and hard rock) and I use a dual IA setup for buttons 1-3 for Scenes 1-6. Button 4 is my Solo or Lead button, which I always assign to Scene 8. My "Jump Page" on Button 8 just jumps to a Page that I set up with three buttons, for Page 1, 2, and 3. This Jump Page is repeated on Page 2 and 3. Page 2 has my most used effects, along with a couple of dual IA buttons for X/Y switching on my drive and phaser. I also put my tap tempo on this page, which isn't really getting used at this point because I'm still learning how to utilize it. Baby steps for me :lol Page 3 has Looper stuff on the bottom row and then a Volume -/+ and Tuner on the top row. The reason I use my quasi-Jump Page is so that if I'm on my mid gain patch, i can jump over to the effects page and switch stuff on and off quickly. Depending on the style of music, I could probably get by playing 80% of my stuff on my mid gain patch this way.

As you can see, I'm seriously under-utilizing the power of the LF but I'm still learning and this is what has worked so far for only having 8 buttons and 1 LCD screen. I have handwritten notes on labels stuck to the Mini to help me remember where most stuff is, although by only using 3 pages I kinda dumbed it down so it's hard for me to forget. Like you said, its all been trial and error....and a few helpful setup videos on Youtube by U2JustMe. Now that I finally have a file saved with my settings, I'll probably load your sysex file up to see how you utilize stuff differently.

Thanks for sharing your sysex file! I just realized that the LF+ Mini only has a main display and not individual displays for each button, so you're missing out on most of the fun. I'm hoping to have my tutorial updated by this weekend and will have an info section and how to name Scenes section.

I live in Rochester, NY and I haven't had much free time lately bc we have been getting pummeled with snow. I have never had to do so much snow removal and roof raking since I bought my house 9 years ago. I have huge ice dams and can't keep up with them. Every time the street plow or sidewalk plow goes by my house they leave a 3+ foot high solid packed snow wall at the end of my driveway and there's so much snow there's no place to put it, so it just keeps getting pushed into the street and then back into everyone driveways. I never thought I'd hear myself say I'm actually looking forward to mowing the lawn and weed whacking!

Nice Tutorial-appreciate it. But I have my LF+jr+ since they first came out. So I am pretty familiar with it.

I stopped doing the pc csettings\advanced start over a year ago because I wasn't getting the error messages about the drivers when installing (I used to though)

Perhaps that's my error. Even though it seemed to install correctly, as you say-it may not be totally correct. I'll try that.

Amazing that no one but you responded to my cry for help-but glad I posted so others could share in your tutorial.

I am on FW410 and editor 410 because I cannot use the new ones. They screw things up for me-I have the original Gen1 Lf+jr+, I don't know if that's the issue with the new FW. I have re initialized the LF and all that. Still won't take the newer FW's?

I have changed all cables more than once. EDIT: I have tried FAMC TECH Support.I only seem to get help when I get Jeff. I believe he's pretty busy with his new stuff comin g out-understandable -

Thanks again

Last edited:
... Anyone want to share your sysex files? I want to try out some sysex files to see how other people configure their LF+.

heres mine dude.. LF+12+ exp ports are
misssion pedal
mission switch inside pedal (switching wah volume)
expression switch (NosePedal.com) basically attached to delay levels it allow 2 settings and on the fly adjustment
switch for page shifts

mainly use in setlist mode

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5903521/backup 26 415 WORKING.syx

I have tried FAMC TECH Support.I only seem to get help when I get Jeff

I've had the same issue. I kept getting errors when trying to use the Auto-Program Wizard Utility, so Jeff called me to help when I first got my Pro+ and he said he was going to look into some of the issues and get back to me but I never heard back. Every time I contact FAMC support I feel like the replies are from 16 year olds that have taken one too many bongs hits. I guess it's pay back for all the bong hits I used to take before going to work when I was younger haha.

I've been trying to find time to add more to my tutorial bc I want to explain how to use the External Device Sync Utility instead of having everything sync in real-time bc it lowers latency.

It sucks that FAMC doesn't have a better manual or setup examples for the LF+ bc it's the Axe-Fx of MIDI Foot Controllers. I would never recommend anyone to buy one bc if I did, they would bug me all the time with questions haha.

heres mine dude.. LF+12+ exp ports are
misssion pedal
mission switch inside pedal (switching wah volume)
expression switch (NosePedal.com) basically attached to delay levels it allow 2 settings and on the fly adjustment
switch for page shifts

mainly use in setlist mode

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5903521/backup 26 415 WORKING.syx

Wow this is what I've been looking for! Thank You!

I'm still a little confused how Songs and Set Lists work but it looks like you have them figured out. I like how you name your Scenes too. Now it's time for me to do some nerdy/dorky analyzing of your configurations, so I can learn more about how the LF+ works.

Wow this is what I've been looking for! Thank You!

I'm still a little confused how Songs and Set Lists work but it looks like you have them figured out. I like how you name your Scenes too. Now it's time for me to do some nerdy/dorky analyzing of your configurations, so I can learn more about how the LF+ works.

Seriously deep stuff by monkjunior. I may only use a Mini+, but his settings showed me some stuff I can possibly utilize in my setup. I feel like such a dummy, once I realized how he was naming Scenes it made a lot of sense. Thanks for getting the ball rolling in this thread GotMetalBoy!

hey guys,
cool i didnt think i was doing anything special....

ive recently only changed stuff cos i finally got the updates sorted they werent workign for me since 3.3 but all is working now...

songs are just lists of my songs
i have commands to switch the patch in my TC helicon VL3... and also onsong (lyrics app on my ipad) although i havent finished reprograming that stuff yet.... and then because scenes work and have such low lag when switching compared to switching presets for me... i am really only using one preset per song.... but loading a second and also an acoustic so i have options
my axe patch basically runs as virtual pedal board...

my volume pedal and wah is set up so that when i switch to wah the volume block bypasses as through and also switches the exp CC number to wah modifier....

my acoustic patch has its own page set up for scenes
and then each preset i just have automagically going to a scenes page.... when it kicks in....

i used this setup completely on saturday night... and worked pretty well...especially noticed the difference by just using scenes...

although it is slightly different config so my head hasnt got it completely to automatic knowing yet... and it still requires some tweaks....

im sure Jeff and rod probably have some other ways of doing what im doing more efficiently.... but as i said for the first time since ive had this unit everything is working exactly how i programmed it and without issue and i can say i have had between FAMC and i back forwards 150+ emails multiple videos and files...over the years..... not all of these features always available but this is essentially how i envisaged the unit to work...

the only thing i think i would like more is a setlist to have placeholders for songs so almost 2 types of pages one for presets and ias etc and one as a song placeholder. so you could literally see a sets worth of songs (12 songs) laid out and in 3 page jumps you have gone over 36 songs so if you are jumping round or changing on the fly the order it is easy and quick .. ie press on a song place holder, which switches you to another page with your layou presets ias etc

part 2 is figuring out if possible how to send midi clock and if possible to send it on tapping the tap tempo...that would sync my voicelive 3 without having other gear...

and another change i had a 2 switch pedal made for the exp port so dare say tap tempo will move to one of those....which will free up a placeholder...

will post a pic of the actual board when i drag it upstairs....

anyway hope it helps...
cheers
dave

I've had the same issue. I kept getting errors when trying to use the Auto-Program Wizard Utility, so Jeff called me to help when I first got my Pro+ and he said he was going to look into some of the issues and get back to me but I never heard back.

I've been trying to find time to add more to my tutorial bc I want to explain how to use the External Device Sync Utility instead of having everything sync in real-time bc it lowers latency.

the way i got around this was by having everything synced and using the global setting save ia state on sync.... then just rolling through the presets... when i got through all the ones i wanted synced...got the transmit back from the pedal turned that 'save on sync' off and retransmitted, then everything was cool had all the states... its just not gonna sync scene states thats all if you are having all the syncs turned off...

Back
Top Bottom