Factory Presets for Axe-FX III fw22

No idea. Make your own or modify the current factory presets while you wait. Did you install the 19.04 factory presets?

When does the factory presets for fw22 will be updated?

For Axe-FX III mkII turbo
As @unix-guy said, it’s an intense process.

It’s not a good idea to take on the process as long as the firmware is changing and affecting the sound output otherwise previous work can be wasted if it has to be changed.

Also, the minor differences between the units, such as being Mk I, II or Turbo, has no bearing on the factory presets. They are targeted at the lowest common denominator for that model, because it’s not being left behind, and to differentiate would result in three times the work.

Let’s say it takes 30 minutes to adjust a scene for the updates. (That’s pretty fast I think.)

Averaging out for a few simple presets like Bypass, let’s say each preset has only 4 scenes (many have more).

384 presets x 4 scenes each at 30 minutes each is 768 hours needed to adjust them all. That’s 32 days straight for reference.

We’ve done it many times before but it’s not a trivial amount of time.

I’ve definitely spent 4 hours or more on one factory preset.

Just putting that out there.

Unix-guy said:
Typically after major Amp modeling changes.

New “Cygnus X-2” amp modeling
The modeling change could trigger an update cycle, but not until the firmware has stabilized on all three platforms because the developers learn and share improvements and fixes back and forth. Add in Dyna-Cabs and the fact they're not released fully and additional cabs have been mentioned means there needs to be some discussion about what will be done and how because the new cabs are a significant change to the system and deserve being highlighted in the factory presets. Anything before that discussion is likely to result in rework, something that is not enjoyable or productive.

Chris, who's been one of the primary ones doing work on the presets, said:
Let’s say it takes 30 minutes to adjust a scene for the updates. (That’s pretty fast I think.)

Averaging out for a few simple presets like Bypass, let’s say each preset has only 4 scenes (many have more).

384 presets x 4 scenes each at 30 minutes each is 768 hours needed to adjust them all. That’s 32 days straight for reference.
Yeah, some went that fast, especially when we got rolling. Some took a lot of ruminating and consumed a day just figuring out all the moving parts. Not counting weekends and people being out because of touring or sickness or mental/aural exhaustion… I think it went longer last time, or maybe it just felt longer.
We’ve done it many times before but it’s not a trivial amount of time.

I’ve definitely spent 4 hours or more on one factory preset.
Definitely the same here.

Some were using tricks that took digging in and finding how modifiers were affecting things under the surface and took a couple days. And, then when we think we've got it, A/Bing the changed version to the original and wondering WTH!? and having to start over. :)

We like doing it, but it's a LOT of work.

In my perfect world (which does not exist and never will), FAS would have maybe half a dozen factory presets (blues, rock, metal, pop, jazz and "over the top freak out pushing the envelope") all with 8 scenes for common scenarios in that genre. Each FW update would also have updates to these limited presets to showcase the benefits of the new changes and/or ensure they are usable out of the box for that FW. Leave the rest of the preset offerings to users and third party vendors or additional purchase options from FAS. Having hundreds of factory presets many of which become problem children with each FW version seems like a waste of time to me! All that said, I was lucky to come into the FAS world at a time where a major update had just happened and shortly thereafter, we got a major presets update. As a result, I was able to (as a babe in the woods) explore the hundreds of factory presets and find a few favorite starting points for my sound, and enjoyed having all of them at my disposal and discretion in a timeframe where the presets were in sync with FW. I would however prefer the quality/updated over the quantity though and have them be consistently brought into sync with new FW's now that I am more in tune with the system. If I had only 6 presets as starting points, I likely would have arrived at "my tones" a lot quicker ;~))

In my perfect world (which does not exist and never will), FAS would have maybe half a dozen factory presets.
I'll one up you, in my perfect world (which should exist and I'll live in denial until it does), Fractal would have one factory preset with one scene. One that sounds good no matter what and makes my playing not suck. Yeah, that's the world I wanna live in.

I'll one up you, in my perfect world (which should exist and I'll live in denial until it does), Fractal would have one factory preset with one scene. One that sounds good no matter what and makes my playing not suck. Yeah, that's the world I wanna live in.
That preset already exists, it is called your imagination! Legend in your own mind!! I live there most of my time!!!

(Actual preset is not a FAS product. See website for more details. Failure to reach goal with imagination preset is always a consequence of user error, your restrictions apply!)

Last edited:
First let me say I have no idea how any of this works so FAS will not be asking for my advice nor input...BUT if they asked me what would you rather have I'd say put a handful of presets in there for examples of what can be achieved (for people buying for the first time) and give me the ability to use more than 2 Reverb blocks, etc.
I'd love the ability to pull up AxeEdit on my laptop while sitting on a plane or somewhere away from your unit...write a preset, organize, download or whatever and then when you plug it back into your Unit it automatically updates it. I realize that Edit is more or less an extension of the actual unit but it would be cool.
I'm sure it's a whole different department but I'd love to see one day FAS having so many Effects and Amps stuffed in there that the "Wish" thread would be obsolete. You just gotta have the sound of the Kay Vanguard 705 amp your mom bought you from Sears in 1972...well just scroll down, plug in your Hondo Les Paul copy and hold on to your bellbottoms.

Back
Top Bottom