External switches behaviour

It's not that I can't get the switches to control the rotary block at all, but it doesn't behave like I want it to.

EXAMPLE 1:
I'm on my Semi-Clean preset. I engage the rotary. I disengage the rotary again and go to my crunch preset (KNAS). I press the switch, and the rotary engages.
So, no problem eh???

EXAMPLE 2:
I'm on my Semi-Clean preset. I engage the rotary. I DO NOT disengage the rotary again and go to my crunch preset (KNAS). I press the switch, and the rotary DOES NOT (huh?) engage. I press the switch again, and the rotary engages.
So it kinda works, but not perfectly.

It is the same thing with the switch controlling the rate.

Hello there. I have been trying a similar thing and have of course the same problem here.

The scenario is:
I want to change Amp X and Cab X together to Amp Y and Cab Y with one switch. The reason why scene changing does not satisfy me is that I want jut to change from clean amp to drive amp leaving every other setup as it is. I want flexibility as if I use an analog amp and 4 cable method where effect chain is independent from the amp channel. Besides I also use scene power as expected in Ax8. So switching just amps when needed without changing the scene and also walking around scenes as I wish. I also recognized that only switching amp and cab without changing scene or preset works faster and produces less gap.

I assigned en external momentary switch (EXT3) to x/y change of Amp and cab block from SETUP - I/O. I works as it should.

The problem:
S1 is clean. S2 is drive.
When I press external switch ONCE while using S1, amp and cab switches from x to y.
When I press external switch ONCE AGAIN while using S1, amp and cab switches back from y to x.
However...
When I press first S2 and switch to y mode of amp and cab AND AFTERWARDS press on external switch ONCE while using S2, nothing happens. IF I press on ext switch SECOND time, then amp and cab switches back from y to x. And this goes the same when I switch to S1 and try to change amp/cab with external switch.

To generalize the issue,...
This type of problem also happens with any assignment of external switch as far as I tried. Bypass of blocks or any modification.
My conclusion is that the signal from external foot switch does not work freely as it should be. Namely it should have switched any state to its opposite whenever it would be pressed ONCE. But that does not work this way unfortunately. Even a momentary switch sends a definite signal to AX8 such as ...
First press switches from x to y OR from by-passed to engaged etc.
Second press switched from y to x OR engaged to by-passed.
And if by any means we change these states with some scene or preset switching AX8 does NOT forget the last state of our external switch. So it is to much clever where it shouldn't be :))))

P.S Scene revert feature or PC reset on modifier page do not also help with this issue.

Conclusion and wishes:
Is there any workaround for this specific problem? Is there any method of using external switch and scene/preset change together while they respect each other's decisions? :)
OR is there any possible way to change Amp AND Cab together without changing scenes or presets?
(Control Switches can be used in many ways to accomplish by-pass like things of multiple blocks. However, for x/y switching Control Switches cannot be used)

Thank you for your ideas and suggestions
Best regards

An update!
I have just bought Blackstar Live Logic programmable midi foot controller. It also has 6 programmable switches which will provide tons of opportunities. 6 more buttons for Ax8!!! I will test every detail I mentioned before as soon as it arrives. I hope that controlling everything with midi CC messages instead of ext FS on/off signals would solve the issue. We'll see!

Update!

Blackstar Live Logic has arrived. I made a quick test.
Result: Failure :)

Details....
If I assign a switch on Blackstar to a specific CC# in toggle mode with on value 127 and off value 0 for ex. CC47 for Delay Bypass, when I press the button led flashes, Delay block engages in Ax8. That part is good. However, if I change a scene where Delay Block is saved in bypass state, Blackstar does not recognize that change. I also tried a second MIDI cable from OUT of Ax8 to IN of Blackstar. No change. LED shines on me crazy diamonds.... And when I press the button again in order to toggle to off value LED turns off, but no change in Ax8 as expected. Now they are in the same state :) If I try it on MOMENTARY mode in Blackstar, then LED flashes just as long as I press the button, and Delay is also engaged just as long as I press the button. So in order to engage/bypass blocks Momentary option does not work.

The only advantage of this pedal is that it serves well in toggle mode by letting me know with its shiny leds that the switch is in the ON mode. At least if I make any change on Ax8, I might equalize the setting knowing the last state of the Blackstar switch. I tried the same issue with amp/cab x/y state change with one assigned button. The same failure holds.

To cut it short, the problem that I first described on my previous posts with EXTERNAL foot switch persists. Ax8 does not have a communication even with a MIDI footswitch. If the states of any parameter are different on both pedals, one should press the switch of Blackstar once in order to equalize the states and then a second time in order to execute the action as described before.

But there is also good news:

If any of the switches is assigned to a scene switch with MOMENTARY, using on and off values the same needed for that scene, it works like a charm, just flashing the led on pressing and fading away immedietely but at least having done its job by changing the scene. The good thing is that red scene lights on Ax8 switches indicate anyway on which scene we have landed :)))

So conclusion:
I dreamed about having extra bypass buttons (for Flanger, Chorus, Pitch etc...) under my foot via this MIDI pedal. However using effect blocks with this twice stepping routine wouldn't be lovely. So I decided to use this setup...

I will assign 5 Scenes I mostly use to 5 Blackstar Switches (Momentary) and check my position from red lights of Ax8 if needed. The 6th and the last switch (Toggle) will serve to change amp and cab x/y state together. As I tested and also presented here, using such an assigned switch to change both amp and cab from x to y is the fastest way compared to scene or preset change. I made recordings with same input and measured the silence gap while switching. Comparison tells the truth. This last toggle switch will help if I will need a more seamless change of amps and if I just wanna change amp while leaving every other block as they are. Since I will be freeing many switches on Ax8, there I will assign them to blocks I need under my foot.

If you have any suggestion to solve the unsolved part (that damned twice tapping), I appreciate them.

Best regards

Back
Top Bottom