External switches behaviour

Firesource

Hi
I’m using two external latching switches with my AX8. I want them to control rotary bypass and rotary rate, but I can’t get it to work like I want it to. I want it to work, so that, regardless of the state (open or closed) of the switch, the rotary block will revert to the saved settings for the rotary, and hitting the switches will then toggle the bypass state and high/low rate.

For instance, if the preset is saved with the rotary block BYPASSED and with the rate set to high, the block will engage when I hit the switch, and disengage when I hit the switch. Hitting the rate switch should change to a low rate, and hitting it again, should change back to a high rate.

But it does not work like this now. Now, if I have the rotary block ENGAGED, and I go to a preset/scene, where the block is BYPASSED, the rotary will still be on, and similarly, the rate is the same as the rate I have previously used, and not the rate I have saved within the preset. Making the switch control X/Y of the rotary instead of controlling the rate parameter, does not make a difference.

Is there any way to make the AX8 ignore the STATE of each switch, and only treat each CHANGE in STATE as a function, that triggers a change in the AX8? If not, I will have to modify my switches, but I would rather not do that if I can avoid it.

Hi
I’m using two external latching switches with my AX8. I want them to control rotary bypass and rotary rate, but I can’t get it to work like I want it to. I want it to work, so that, regardless of the state (open or closed) of the switch, the rotary block will revert to the saved settings for the rotary, and hitting the switches will then toggle the bypass state and high/low rate.

For instance, if the preset is saved with the rotary block BYPASSED and with the rate set to high, the block will engage when I hit the switch, and disengage when I hit the switch. Hitting the rate switch should change to a low rate, and hitting it again, should change back to a high rate.

But it does not work like this now. Now, if I have the rotary block ENGAGED, and I go to a preset/scene, where the block is BYPASSED, the rotary will still be on, and similarly, the rate is the same as the rate I have previously used, and not the rate I have saved within the preset. Making the switch control X/Y of the rotary instead of controlling the rate parameter, does not make a difference.

Is there any way to make the AX8 ignore the STATE of each switch, and only treat each CHANGE in STATE as a function, that triggers a change in the AX8? If not, I will have to modify my switches, but I would rather not do that if I can avoid it.

When using modifiers, make sure you turn PC RESET to ON. Page 66 of the manual. That makes it so that when you load a preset, it ignores external controller states and uses the stored value instead.

This works for parameters within blocks like rotary speed. It does NOT work for block bypass or X/Y. Those you've globally assigned so PC RESET doesn't apply. For global toggles, if you used a momentary switch, it would produce the results you want. From a Momentary pedal, the AX8 doesn't see anything on the port until you've clicked it, just like a MIDI CC. Latching pedals, on the other hand, are always sending a state of open or closed.

I've just tested this, setting an external momentary switch to Drive 1 bypass. Scrolling through my presets, the Drive 1 initial state is correct, and only changes once I tap the external switch.

Thank you! However, it doesn't solve my problem. This way, I can ensure that my rotary will never be switched ON when I load a new preset, but if the pedal is in the ON position, I need to turn it OFF, and the turn it ON, so it might not be so useful after all. I guess the AX8 just doesn't work this way, so I may have to buy two momentary switches - fortunately I'm not afraid of modding my own gear, and changing the switches seem to be pretty easy.

Momentary External switches are the most versatile way to go with Fractal products, They can be used as momentary, or latching.

Yes, I have decided to modify my switches. Can anyone recommend a good momentary switch I can buy in EU? (just the switch itself, I will install it in the boxes I have from the switches I have now)

I have looked at Banzaimusic, but it is a jungle to figure it out. I guess I don't need more than a SPST switch, but what about Normal Open/normal closed, does this matter with the AX8?

I do not have an AX-8 just yet(its on the way) but with the mfc normally open switches take a touch less thought when setting things up in the modifiers.

Ok, now I have installed momentary switches, but it still doesn't work. If I use the switch to turn the rotary ON in one preset, but do not turn it off and then go to another preset, the rotary will be OFF, but I still have to press twice in order to turn it ON again (like I have to tell the AX8 that the switch is OFF before I can turn it ON). It doesn't matter if I assign the switch globally or in the block itself.

Can the AX8 simply not function like I want it to?

Do have the jack the switch is plugged into set as continuous? did you calibrate the switch? also if you want the rotary bypass upon preset selection make sure it is bypassed before you add the modifier to the bypass state. if you want it to be on save it engaged before you add the modifier.

No, it is set to "momentary". If I set it to "continuous" the effect will only be active when I hold down the switch. The rotary block is always bypassed when any preset is loaded (because it is saved that way), but if I used the switch to turn the rotary ON and did not turn it OFF again before going to a new preset, I have to press the switch twice. Exactly like the way it worked when I used a latching switch (set to LATCHING of course).

Now that I have an AX-8 I just tried this, and I guess it does not reset the controller as the mfc does. I am really surprised I have used this feature a lot with my mfc.

I'd like to figure out a way to make this work as well... either something we can do, or maybe there's a way the programming can be changed so it recognizes the switch as OFF each time a new preset is loaded?

I am going to study on this. there are so many ways to skin a cat with fractal products that there may be away we just are not seeing at the present, or maybe fractal can implement this. for now using a scene to turn on the rotary on and off may be the easiest way. scenes can also be controlled buy external switch. or a mini expression pedal so you know visually if it is on or off. maybe a foot switch with a lite.

I'm surprised by this behavior as well, since it is different than how the AX8 responds to #CCs (which is what's happening with the MFC).

The most consistent choice seems to be - don't use PC RESET, and let the footswitch be a master rotary ON/OFF that has no regard to the preset you are on. That will work with a momentary or latching footswitch. I know that's not the behavior you want as described in the OP, but it seems better than needing to double-press before the rotary will turn on.

Well, at least I am not the problem...

Anyways, I will do as you say and add a change in the behaviour to the wish list - it might be an easy fix for the FAS team that can be implemented in the next firmware.

Hi

I'm using an expression pedal to engage the ROTARY and control it's rate.

I'm using an expression pedal to engage the ROTARY and control it's rate.

This is the easiest way to get it done! you can also use auto engage so you don't necessarily need the use of an I/A simply toe down and it's on heel down and it's off. Not quite sure what the OP is trying to accomplish with a button but controlling rate in a linear fashion will not happen using that method.

This is the easiest way to get it done! you can also use auto engage so you don't necessarily need the use of an I/A simply toe down and it's on heel down and it's off. Not quite sure what the OP is trying to accomplish with a button but controlling rate in a linear fashion will not happen using that method.
Yep just leave the rotary block engaged on the grid and let the expression pedal engage and control the speed whenever you need it

I thought about using an expression pedal setup to do auto engage as well, but I would much rather turn it on/off like a normal stompbox and toggle between slow/fast. Besides I can't fit an extra expression pedal on my board, as it is quite crammed already:

I'd use ext 3 to go from 0 to 100% on the mix parameter of your rotary block to engage and ext 4 toggles between fast and slow, yes ??

Back
Top Bottom