Dyna Cabs...why don't I get it?

Probably already mentioned, but for me, the missing piece of the puzzle for getting that "sheen" on Dyna Cabs that so many seem to
enjoy on Legacy cabs is the preamp.......once you turn that on and find the one you like, the results are indistinguishable from Legacy cabs
but far quicker than scrolling through thousands.

Probably already mentioned, but for me, the missing piece of the puzzle for getting that "sheen" on Dyna Cabs that so many seem to
enjoy on Legacy cabs is the preamp.......once you turn that on and find the one you like, the results are indistinguishable from Legacy cabs
but far quicker than scrolling through thousands.
that's a great tip, I have not used the preamp in the cab block yet . will have to check it out

One thing I will say is that I found it WAY easier to pull a heavy scooped tone using DC vs IR's. I've never been able to get a good approximation of the Pantera/early Deftones highly scooped tone before but with DC I was in the ballpark in a minute or so. With IR's I found I needed to use a lot of EQ's to get something close but wasn't happy with it.

that's a great tip, I have not used the preamp in the cab block yet . will have to check it out

I’m on the FM3, and don’t use the preamp because it uses cpu. Been awhile since I tried it though. I play with the Dynacabs a least a little when I get started on playing. I’ll try the preamp next time I play but if I have to gut my preset too much to make the DC work, then I’ll continue using my fav IR’s. Sooner or later I’ll move up to the FM9 and have some more wiggle room on the cpu.

I’m on the FM3, and don’t use the preamp because it uses cpu. Been awhile since I tried it though. I play with the Dynacabs a least a little when I get started on playing. I’ll try the preamp next time I play but if I have to gut my preset too much to make the DC work, then I’ll continue using my fav IR’s. Sooner or later I’ll move up to the FM9 and have some more wiggle room on the cpu.
Try setting the preamp to lower quality.

You can always just put a PEQ or GEQ block after the cab block too. There's also the Graphic EQ in the amp block as well. Lots of ways to skin that cat.

Try setting the preamp to lower quality.

Just tried it and no large cpu hit. Been awhile since I tried the preamp so couldn’t recall the cpu hit. So now we’re talking. I put the preamp on the DC I was trying out last night. Just needed more bass and a little mid and treble cut. Switched back to my legacy version and it’s actually pretty close. Do you do the hi and low cuts in the cab or preamp?

Struggled all weekend with Dyna Cabs, tried everything I can think of and switching back to a Legacy/Regular IR resulted in instant gratification and just blew DC's out of the water - OK, familiarity and all that comes into play I appreciate that, but I just don't get it..

Anyone else feel the same or am I missing something?

Popcorn available...:laughing:
I would initially agree in the sound quality but I found they are brighter sounding if you get the right one paired with the amp you like and I converted over. It may take some time to the Dynacabs where they all sound great but they are a big step in the right direction in my opinion and what everyone else is doing ( Helix, Quad Cortex ).

I started messing with the cuts but get lost. what is a good parameter for the 4x12 greenback cab -crunch and hard rock tone?

There is no magic number. It depends on many factors (type of amp, amp settings, microphone type, microphone position, number of microphones...). Just reduce the hi-cut slowly until you get the tone that you like. Try with different Hi-Cut slopes (6-12-18-24 dB/Oct)

You can add a Tape Preamp in Hi-Quality mode. Slightly increase Drive and Saturation (check the VU to avoid clipping), and play with the 3 tone controls.

Creating a small phase shift between two microphones at the Align page can also help

The Output EQ at the AMP block is also a powerful tool.

If you want to share your preset, we could have a look into it

Last edited:
I was initially in the same boat re: IRs. But it really was just my ears being used to the main IR that I always used (an Ownhammer Marshall 1960BV cab with 57/121 blend). I took a break from playing while I was on vacation. And when I came back to the Fractal, I used Dyna Cabs and was able to dial in something I liked a lot pretty quickly. Now I leave it on DC. Some quick lessons, be ready to move the mic in more extreme ways than you probably would IRL. I chose the Friedman 412 cab, and a 57 type mic, and had to move it way off the dust cap, and back it away to get it where I liked it. Then I realized I didn't need the added 121 mic and cab to get the punch I was after. Also, I used hi/lo cuts (at around 80 & 5500). Now when I go back to the Ownhammer IR it sounds more flat and one dimensional, and the DC is more present and 'alive' for lack of a better explanation. Still like my IRs - but I think its mainly what your ears get used to.

I was initially in the same boat re: IRs. But it really was just my ears being used to the main IR that I always used (an Ownhammer Marshall 1960BV cab with 57/121 blend). I took a break from playing while I was on vacation. And when I came back to the Fractal, I used Dyna Cabs and was able to dial in something I liked a lot pretty quickly. Now I leave it on DC. Some quick lessons, be ready to move the mic in more extreme ways than you probably would IRL. I chose the Friedman 412 cab, and a 57 type mic, and had to move it way off the dust cap, and back it away to get it where I liked it. Then I realized I didn't need the added 121 mic and cab to get the punch I was after. Also, I used hi/lo cuts (at around 80 & 5500). Now when I go back to the Ownhammer IR it sounds more flat and one dimensional, and the DC is more present and 'alive' for lack of a better explanation. Still like my IRs - but I think its mainly what your ears get used to.
That’s the thing I I like with the DC.
They sound really « alive » and « clean » kinda more real and less flat.

I would love to see the ability to assemble a custom group of say ten of my favorite IRs together and use something like the "drag and place" UI for Dynacabs to quickly audition them. I know this is not exactly the same concept as a Dynacab because it is not necessarily changing the distance and proximity to cap-edge for ten IRs from the same cab. Those parameters would be baked into the IRs you selected for your group. No problem calling it something else ("IRGroup"?, whatever).

In a custom IR group, you could have IRs from ten completely different cabs, if you wanted, or the same cab with different mics at different positions. It would be very flexible. You would not, however, have as many adjustable parameters available as a Dynacab as many of those parameters would be static and unchangeable, determined by the IRs you were using.

The core concept of a simple UI for being able to drag an icon around and easily swap between different IRs that represent a group of my favorite cabs, is more appealing than going to a list and auditioning them sequentially; akin to how many users find the UI for the Dynacabs more convenient than manually swapping IRs in a list when they want a different distance, or cap-edge proximity.

Back
Top Bottom