Dyna Cab questions?

Chiguete

Experienced
So for you guys that are using the Dyna Cabs are you using the low and high cuts just like before or not?

Also, what about the preamp, the drive and the saturation values? Have you change the way you set up those or not?

I am still trying to bond with Dyna Cabs but I'm definitely using healthy high and low cuts when I experiment with them. One thing I am noticing is fit example the Dynamic mics (assume one to be a 57) seems to need more low end need than say many of my 3rd party “57” IR’s do.

One thing is that the Dyna Cabs do have a lot more bite than the stock cabs do, which normally would send me over the moon, but right now I am working on a project where I need smoother tones.

season 10 episode 6 GIF

I say forget them. They seem to be just a gimmick.

🧐

Quick question.... maybe it's already been answered.
Is the "Distance" parameter @ 0 cm simulating the mic directly touching the physical speaker?
For example, a DC set at 0 distance and 0 position would touching the actual speaker cap?

My feeling is that when we mic a real world cab, we typically call zero "touching the grill cloth". Speakers are quite a distance away from the grill cloth in a cab.

This could be why some users feel that DC's are bright and thin.

I think I’m developing more and more respect for how landmark tones were developed and captured.

All of this is a delicate balance of amp gain, amp tone stack, mic selection, mic position, and mic preamp. Then, if you want some seasoning on top of the basics…go for EQ after the mic preamp or before the amp.

I appreciate the Fender magic six as a starting point. I appreciate all the articles and deep dives I’ve read over the years in TapeOp and other recording mags. DynaCabs has really brought that back and made it valuable knowledge once again.

And when I approach it from that perspective, the results are really good and let me say goodbye to almost all of my favorite IRs. Just need a few additional speaker/cab combos.

Is the "Distance" parameter @ 0 cm simulating the mic directly touching the physical speaker?
For example, a DC set at 0 distance and 0 position would touching the actual speaker cap?

My feeling is that when we mic a real world cab, we typically call zero "touching the grill cloth". Speakers are quite a distance away from the grill cloth in a cab.

I’m certain I saw Cliff address this elsewhere and that they are never touching the cloth but coming as close as possible without touching.

I think some of the perceived thinness is due to the mic preamp used in the captures. Cliff stated they switched to a Neve which is a little mid scooped compared to the Api they used before which is punchier in the mids.

You can bring those mids back by using the Ribbon mic and placing it mid cone and pulling it back from the speaker a few cm.

Perhaps an opportunity to try different speakers too. The Mesa V30 Slant is VERY punchy!

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ic-beta-6-beta-12.194655/page-11#post-2427748

I’m certain I saw Cliff address this elsewhere and that they are never touching the cloth but coming as close as possible without touching.

I think some of the perceived thinness is due to the mic preamp used in the captures. Cliff stated they switched to a Neve which is a little mid scooped compared to the Api they used before which is punchier in the mids.

You can bring those mids back by using the Ribbon mic and placing it mid cone and pulling it back from the speaker a few cm.

Perhaps an opportunity to try different speakers too. The Mesa V30 Slant is VERY punchy!
I have been leaning toward maybe changing speakers. I was never fond of v30's until recently. All of my real cabs are greens or creams.
From a "legacy IR" standpoint, the Friedman cabs from OH are a v30/GB mix. Maybe the Orange cabs too. That might be a good compromise.
I am finding that to get DC's close to my current legacy IR presets, I need to go with a ribbon like you said. It's weird to me though because I would have never used a ribbon in a live environment.

There it is...

Thank you both.

Back
Top Bottom