Does anyone else get a crackling sound out of their FRFR?

Do you get this noise when you run through the AX8 in global bypass? If no, then have you deconstructed your presets from scratch, making sure that with every block that is added, you are keeping the volume block's level somewhere near that of the global bypass state?

I've started with shunts only and don't hear it. I am very aware of the volume levels. Add a cab and it's still not audible. As soon as I add an amp block, even with all volumes as low as can go but still being able to hear the signal, it's there.

What amp models are you using? I hear that noise on some amp models and it was really bad on the Helix. It is particularly bad with the type of chords you are playing but doesn't show up with all chords or single notes. I try to avoid amp models that have that crackle since I can't stand it. I actually sold my Helix because of it.

What amp models are you using? I hear that noise on some amp models and it was really bad on the Helix. It is particularly bad with the type of chords you are playing but doesn't show up with all chords or single notes. I try to avoid amp models that have that crackle since I can't stand it. I actually sold my Helix because of it.

I'm hearing it on all amps unless they are ultra clean or the input gain is all the way down.

That's what amps sound like. Go put an amp in an isolation room with an SM57 on it. Listen in the control room. You'll hear the same thing. You don't hear it as much using a real guitar cab because the high frequencies are rolled off which softens the sound.

That's what amps sound like. Go put an amp in an isolation room with an SM57 on it. Listen in the control room. You'll hear the same thing. You don't hear it as much using a real guitar cab because the high frequencies are rolled off which softens the sound.
Yup. I'm going to try rolling the highs in the cab block down a lot more to see if that changes anything. I have them usually around 7000

Maybe its crossover distortion, I remember adjusting a parameter that eliminated the crackle but then it didn't sound as good.

Crossover distortion occurs when you play very lightly. To really hear the effect of crossover distortion turn the Power Tube Bias parameter all the way down and play lightly. You'll hear a scratchy sound. This occurs because the waveform gets a kink in it at the point where one tube stops conducting and the other starts. Some people actually like the sound and I've heard rumors that EVH liked his amps biased cold to get some crossover distortion. Output transformers can create a type of crossover distortion as well due to the BH curve being nonlinear at the origin.

I was wondering how the OP has been dealing with this subject and after reading cliffs post I thought it might be a good idea for the OP to run an amp and cab with the sim being used and give it a listen to see if the crackle is still there.

I actually posed this very question on here a couple of weeks ago while running my AX8 through the new Presonus AIR12, however all I heard back on here was crickets...my Presonus rep's diagnosis for the issue was crossover distortion which can happen at any volume...light or hard touch while playing.

I read this whole thread, and this is why I still am happy as can be using my Ax8 with regular guitar cabinets. I'm probably the only one who hasn't jumped on an FRFR wagon. RIchard do you hear anything weird using your guitar cabs? Eric

Back
Top Bottom