Does anyone else get a crackling sound out of their FRFR?

Hey rich....I tried different scenarios with a bunch of presets and 2 different sets of monitors and DXR10 frfr. I cannot reproduce it. Probably sound silly but does this happen in one place? I mean "electric outlet" wise? I say that because i had an issue long time ago (weird noise, but not the same as yours) and it was the electric in the room. Found out by moving to a different room that was on a different circuit breaker in my fuse panel - no noise. I had the room rewired and it went away.

Sure hope you get this worked out soon...............

Hey rich....I tried different scenarios with a bunch of presets and 2 different sets of monitors and DXR10 frfr. I cannot reproduce it. Probably sound silly but does this happen in one place? I mean "electric outlet" wise? I say that because i had an issue long time ago (weird noise, but not the same as yours) and it was the electric in the room. Found out by moving to a different room that was on a different circuit breaker in my fuse panel - no noise. I had the room rewired and it went away.

Sure hope you get this worked out soon...............

I should be able to give that a try at my gig this weekend but if I remember correctly, it doesn't matter where I am. It only happens with modelers and FRFR.

@skyhighrocks it doesn't show up on recordings and only with any FRFR speaker?

When you are using FRFR, is the entire signal chain the same as when recording? guitar -> cable -> AX8 -> cable -> FRFR?

If anything is different from your recording chain I would start eliminating all the differences and swapping cables.

To me it sounds like the distortion of the amp sim, when you strum lightly it doesn't happen but when you hit it a little harder it's there. Try a clean amp sim and do the same test.

I've heard it before. My RP1000 used to do it when I played it through the return of my tube amp. I turned the levels so low it was barely audible because I assumed I was clipping something and it still did it. I assumed it was digital clipping.

Go to YouTube and listen to a bunch of isolated guitar tracks. It's pretty shocking actually. That's what a close mic'd guitar with some distortion sounds like in isolation. Was always there, you just never heard it like this before. FRFR just gives you the truth..........(in my best Jack Nicholson)........You Can't Handle the Truth......lol

The green light is for internal clipping it doesn't necessarily reflect output volume. Try lowering the main volume knob.
View attachment 35576
Off topic completely ...

Where'd you get your AX8. My AX8 shows the output volume knobs with different markings to yours. My AX8 labels show the individual outputs and have main and FX in braces underneath.

for example

OUT 1 OUT 2
[MAIN] [FX SEND]

View attachment 35587
Off topic completely ...

Where'd you get your AX8. My AX8 shows the output volume knobs with different markings to yours. My AX8 labels show the individual outputs and have main and FX in braces underneath.

for example

OUT 1 OUT 2
[MAIN] [FX SEND]

I just did a Google image search and did a screen shot, that's not my Ax8. It must have been one of the prototype version sorry for the confusion.

You're probably just hearing "tube crackle". This is most noticeable when letting chords ring out as the sound decays. It's more noticeable with FRFR because of the extended high frequency response of near-field IRs.

Tube crackle occurs when playing more than one note typically. When you play multiple notes (as in a chord or even a diad) the amplitude "bounces" around as the multiple notes reinforce each other or cancel each other. The result is an envelope that is not uniform. The peaks of the waveform clip but the troughs do not. This causes a crackling sound when you get on the edge of distortion because the points at which distortion occurs are far enough apart in time to be audile.

You can reduce it by softening the distortion. Reducing Preamp and/or Power Amp Hardness will reduce the crackling but this will deviate from authenticity.

You're probably just hearing "tube crackle". This is most noticeable when letting chords ring out as the sound decays. It's more noticeable with FRFR because of the extended high frequency response of near-field IRs.

Tube crackle occurs when playing more than one note typically. When you play multiple notes (as in a chord or even a diad) the amplitude "bounces" around as the multiple notes reinforce each other or cancel each other. The result is an envelope that is not uniform. The peaks of the waveform clip but the troughs do not. This causes a crackling sound when you get on the edge of distortion because the points at which distortion occurs are far enough apart in time to be audile.

You can reduce it by softening the distortion. Reducing Preamp and/or Power Amp Hardness will reduce the crackling but this will deviate from authenticity.

Thank you! I was hoping it wasn't something faulty as I've never heard this with my tube amps. By distortion, do you mean the gain? I'm really not wanting to do that because that defeats the whole purpose of my sound. A studio friend watched the video this morning and said it sounds like a horn/tweeter rattle issue but I'm thinking it's more in line with what you're saying because of the accentuated frequency range.

ok, so I just lowered a bunch of things...preamp hardness, gain, power amp hardness, master volume, etc. and nothing changed at all....

I'm experiencing the same thing but only with my Neo not with my regular CLR. I have them side by side and you can clearly hear it on the Neo and not the regular CLR. This is with the Main volume on the AX8 around 10 o'clock and the knobs around noon on the Neo.

Last edited:
Thank you! I was hoping it wasn't something faulty as I've never heard this with my tube amps. By distortion, do you mean the gain? I'm really not wanting to do that because that defeats the whole purpose of my sound.

When he says "softening" he means "soften the edges" not "lower the volume," hence the use of the Preamp or Power Amp Hardness parameters.

I still think you should pay close attention to the Input Drive and Master Volume, because a real tube amp in a bedroom can't be cranked - and these ultra-realistic amp models can very easily be cranked in both good and bad ways.

When he says "softening" he means "soften the edges" not "lower the volume," hence the use of the Preamp or Power Amp Hardness parameters.

I still think you should pay close attention to the Input Drive and Master Volume, because a real tube amp in a bedroom can't be cranked - and these ultra-realistic amp models can very easily be cranked in both good and bad ways.

read my previous post...I tried all of that...it's still there with no audible change. And I do crank my tube amps in the bedroom. ;)

Back
Top Bottom