Current State of Guitar Music

And in case you haven't heard of him, there is the young Nick Johnston

I've never connected with Guthrie Govan. It is like his "melodies" do not tell any story to me, no matter how technical or sophisticated. But with NJ is different.

Last edited:
Last night my wife and I were just driving around downtown Denver and randomly heard some beautiful live music coming from Sculpture Park with such an emotional and intelligent feel. We started circling the block over and over because the lead guitarist was so good; he sounded like some bizarre world in which Carlos Santana at his most inspired was instead an ultra competent and tasteful fusion guitarist. And some kind of tone that I can only imagine the way people talk about Robben Ford. I'm meaning to check these guys out myself today; the band is called Goose (out of Norwalk, CT, not the other prominent one that comes up first in search).

I can't vouch for anything else about them, but what I heard really had a kind of transcendent quality to it.

I'm a few years older than you with most of your taste in music. I was very surprised when I came across Joe Bonamassa's Live From Nowhere In Particular a few years ago. If you haven't heard it, or a lot of his other stuff, you're in for a treat. He's right up our alley.

Most of what I was going to mention has already been done.

I'll second Mark Lettieri, as well as Snarky Puppy (the band he is from, with multiple great guitarists).

Another guy I keep trying to bring attention to is Joe Robinson. Amazing guitarist and singer that was mentored from a young age by Tommy Emmanuel.

Here's the song/video that immediately hooked me:

Also, the Tedeschi Trucks Band is excellent.

I just have to say this is a fantastic thread. Thank you to all who are suggesting stuff. I'm so stuck in my ways musically, reading this is inspiring me to seek more! :)

Fantastic Negrito deserves a mention. He's just a total badass.

Think Delta Blues meets Zeppelin meets Sly Stone.

Last edited:
And in case you haven't heard of him, there is the young Nick Johnston

I've never connected with Guthrie Govan. It is like his "melodies" do not tell any story to me, no matter how technical or sophisticated. But with NJ is different.

Wow. I grew up loving instrumental guitar music, but seem to have grown to find it boring and a
bit cliched. This is neither boring nor cliched. Thanks for sharing. :)

And we've got EVH's son Wolfgang with a new album that simply kicks ass! He's extremely talented, playing all the instruments and doing all the vocals, and best of all, it sounds nothing like VH.

You're To Blame

Yes! That album has been in heavy rotation here.

For some of the best covers, featuring Martin Miller on guitar with his studio band, and various guests, like Kirk Fletcher, Andy Timmons, etc, check out these, and the rest of his channel. There, you'll find everything from a superb 80s medley, to Pink Floyd, and a bazillion others, played live in the studio, with fabulous musicianship. Here are a couple to get you started:

There are more fantastic guitar players playing now than ever. Mostly not mainstream but it's out there and playing is better than ever. Of course I miss the lost greats but looking forward is good.

Back
Top Bottom