Current State of Guitar Music

joe1871

Inspired
Hey All,

I have been wanting to ask this question for a while. I am a 64 year old guitarist. My hey day in guitar was in the 80-'s 90's, and then again in the 2000's with the emergence of Grunge or the "Seattle Sound" with Pearl Jam and Nirvana and STP. I have a very good library of songs I know from those eras. but frankly I am sick of them all. I was wanting to explore more current players, with popular music. All I can find - and I dont listen to music the way I used to - I rarely get in my car, and I am spending time with my family instead of listening, are the overly processed pop stuff that is frankly not doing it for me. There just isn't any guitar in those forms.

I know there is the heavy, detuned "Djent" styles of music, but it leaves me cold. there is no melody nor counterpoint in that style that I know of. I dont want that, I dont believe. I am open to being proven wrong.

So what are the current bands that people are listening to that are melody driven, more sophisticated, and interesting? My favorites in the past were Steely Dan, Weather Report, Return To Forever, Little Feat, Pink Floyd, Yes, and many others of that ilk. Of course I was also into Vai, Satriani, DiMeola, etc. Are there current bands/players that you might throw into the mix? I would love to hear some new music that is interesting, challenging, and fun to play.

Thanks in advance folks. I hope I don't hurt too many feelings, not my intent at all.

Joe

I have about 75% of the same tastes as you listed, plus Rush, VH, & Dream Theater. But I discovered Muse about 4 years ago, and they fuckin blew.me.away! So much so that even though I swore off ever going to a live show again (I'm 57), I saw them on their last tour, and man I gotta say, that show was absolutely unbelievable. Right up there with Pink Floyd for presentation and sound quality, but actually even better because Matt Bellamy is such a rock star on stage. Now there's a bunch of songs I don't really dig, but the ones I do, are awesome.

The Neal Morse Band!!! Plenty there.
Start with Similitude of a Dream. I saw that show live twice before covid.

Neal Morse
Eric Gillette
Randy George
Mike Portnoy
Bill Hubauer

Challenging, melodies, counterpoints, key changes, musical themes etc.
10 years ago that band changed my playing immensely!

I know you said you don't like bland djent, but I find Periphery to be on the more technical side, as well as Arcaeon with lots of interesting layers and melodies. Animals as Leaders is also a great technical instrumental band.

Baroness is a killer band with a deep catalog. Atmospheric and moody
like Floyd, but with a modern edge. Unconventional riffs and time
signatures and harmonies. This is such a cool vid of them performing
live in the K Pit.

Intense!!

While my music taste differ from yours and actually many of the folks on here, I agree.
I think the biggest part of this is that tha bands that are using good old guitars, etc, etc, like many mentioned here are not really found on the radio. IMHO, the guitar lives on and will never fade away. Too many of us and offspring :)

"Guitar music" has never been in a better place IMO.

f you like the Vai/Satch melodic guitar instrumental stuff Plini and Intervals are great places to start. Andy Wood has some great instrumental albums out that cover just about every style under the sun.

For the funk thing, Mark Lettieri/Cory Wong and their associated acts are putting out amazing stuff.

Personal favourite of mine are Symphony X with Michael Romeos Yngwie x Holdsworth style

The list goes on and on. A great place to check is the Fractal artist page as so many great new players are using the Axe-Fx to craft their tones.

I enjoy playing the solos of Nick Barret with Pendragon. I feel identified with his style

And John Mitchel with Arena

Back
Top Bottom