Cliff, Oh My...The Swirl!

anytime you start to feel smart, let Cliff start dropping knowledge. he speaks of this stuff like it's two guys talking about sports....it's crazy.

Except Cliff really and truly KNOWS what he's talking about. All the ins and outs; the technical and practical side of it.

So I have not been playing a lot for quite some time. Decided to load up 15b and give it a drive tonight. I went through a couple of my Fender/Marshall presets and was astonished at the dynamic swirl I was hearing. Absolutely amazing in that it sounds like some of my tube amps have (and do) when they are performing at their best. Swirl is almost impossible to get if an amp does not have it in the first place, so I can't even imagine how the AFXII can do this. As I recall (Cliff has forgotten more than I ever knew about tube amps), the swirl has to do with the overdriven phase-inverter interacting with the output stage as it goes in and out of clipping. Regardless, it is so amazing I spent the entire night relishing in the magnificence of the swirl as my notes rang out. I'm in awe of this machine and the brains behind it.

Thanks Cliff and crew for what you do.

boogie out

Audio clips *and* example presets, or it didn't happen!!!

It's not IM distortion. It's variable phase shift due to bias shifting.

How is phase effected by a dc bias? I am assuming it is the variation of the bias that changes a phase shift on the amplifier circuit. Is this the grid bias of the tube, or the quiescent point on a transistor in the pre-amp?

Last edited:
this is exactly what i do when tuning pianos.
Ah, but there is a word for that already! It's called "beating" and my high school band director taught us to listen for it when tuning to a reference pitch. When the beating stops, the two notes are in unison and you're done tuning.

beats decrease in rate as the frequency becomes closer together. listen closely to old recordings of thelonius monk and you will hear a very slight roll in some of the unisons on his piano that has slipped from pure tune.
'Beats', the correct term, is caused by the peaks and troughs of two very similar but not identical frequencies interacting, causing a constantly changing new waveform which goes up and down in volume (hence the name beats). As they get closer together in frequency the beats increase in rate until they disappear. (Please can someone correct me if I got the last bit the wrong way round! This is school physics from 30 years ago. Gulp :shock)

We are walking on TGP hollowed ground now. Next up, haunting mids.... ;)

Damn... now I need to hear clips of swirls and haunting mids... I thought this was an music equipment forum not a Ghost Hunters forum! ;)

Can you show us clips of both? since I'm sure (being da man over at TGP) you've heard them before...

I have no idea wtf I just read...

15 sounds good. Cliff addressed the VH4. Me happy boy.

In my early years one of my very first amps was a 76' or 77' Super Reverb. With a basic Guyatone Distortion pedal up front .....that thang "swirled"!

Being a kid I had no idea tubes needed changeouts after 5 months or so. :)

I dont really understand what this is but it seems like u guys like it.. are there settings that will highlight this swirley thing?? i use mainly somewhat higain.

Back
Top Bottom