Cliff, Oh My...The Swirl!

InterMod is nothing more then two frequencies combining together to create a third. In the process of a pair of notes that are being bent the product third will sound like it's "flipping" or "swirling" for lack of better terms as it is being moved or "bent" through that range.

Ah, but there is a word for that already! It's called "beating" and my high school band director taught us to listen for it when tuning to a reference pitch. When the beating stops, the two notes are in unison and you're done tuning.

I thought 'swirl' was one of those flowery tone terms only doctors and lawyers use on the internet when they're trading overpriced boutique bedroom amps. Now that I know it's real I'll describe it like this (though I'm still not sure I've ever heard this).

I hear it in midgainers. At least what I call "swirl". Also sounds like chirping or marshall grind.

That clean-ish, mid gain chirping sound that Jimmy Page gets on Zeppelin studio recordings.

Can also be heard to a lesser degree on AC/DC studio recordings and early Aerosmith.

Ah, but there is a word for that already! It's called "beating" and my high school band director taught us to listen for it when tuning to a reference pitch. When the beating stops, the two notes are in unison and you're done tuning.

For tunng I thought the term was harmonic resonances.

Beating is not the same as IM distortion. IM distortion occurs when two sine waves are put through a nonlinearity. This creates new tones at the sum and difference of the frequencies.

Beating occurs due to constructive and destructive interference of two waves. When you are slightly out of tune you oscillate between constructive and destructive interference which creates low-frequency amplitude modulation.

You guys realize the Cliff absolutely knows exactly what he's talking about, right? lol (DUH! We all know that, of course.)

Some good books that I read in my pre-Axe FX questing days are written by Dave Zimmerman, former owner of Maven Peal Instruments. He created some really interesting technology for tube amps. Sadly, the company couldn't last.

He did, however, write some great books for users of tube amps. That helped me so much. Then I bought more books about it and EE in general. Now I just need more time to read them, but I don't have the same motivation because Cliff has taken care of it in this awesome machine.

Looking forward to the continuing development of modeling technology. Axe FX users are happily at the forefront of it all.

Reactions: J.C
For tunng I thought the term was harmonic resonances.

'Beats', the correct term, is caused by the peaks and troughs of two very similar but not identical frequencies interacting, causing a constantly changing new waveform which goes up and down in volume (hence the name beats). As they get closer together in frequency the beats increase in rate until they disappear. (Please can someone correct me if I got the last bit the wrong way round! This is school physics from 30 years ago. Gulp :shock)

'Beats', the correct term, is caused by the peaks and troughs of two very similar but not identical frequencies interacting, causing a constantly changing new waveform which goes up and down in volume (hence the name beats). As they get closer together in frequency the beats increase in rate until they disappear. (Please can someone correct me if I got the last bit the wrong way round! This is school physics from 30 years ago. Gulp :shock)

Damn Cliff beat me to it again!!! First with the Axe, now this bloody explanation. Why can't I just beat him at one thing, godammit.

I'm pretty sure we banned that "FRACTALAUDIO" character from this forum ALL WEEKEND. I'm going to have to see about blocking him until Monday. Mrs. Cliff is not gonna be happy when she hears about this.

Is this how they came up with the name for those shitty headphones the kids wear these days?

Is this how they came up with the name for those shitty headphones the kids wear these days?

Yep, the same shitty ones that Apple just bought for $3bn
thumbsup.gif

Uh no.

That would "Beats" as in slang for the producers crafting the basic drum loops for the song on an Akai MPC / Roland 808. "Beats" is slang for the drum loops.

Dre is the king of beats. And is credited or should be credited on a ton of influential and seminal rap and hip hop records. Smart man for the headphone branding. Along with Jimmy Iovine.

Back
Top Bottom