Cliff and/or the team: can you confirm that something strange is going on with V10?

I'd like to see a poll made that asked "Do you Tm using isolated tracks? Have you noticed any issues with TM in 10.02?" That would show how common it was for people who do TM'ing in that way.

You can create a poll yourself if you want to. Start a new thread, scroll down and and check Post a poll.

As a further data point, I've had no issues with 10.x itself, only (minor ones) with Axe Edit. Using an Axe-FX II (Mark II), delivered in January. Mac OS-X 10.8.3 on a Nehalem MacPro with 24 GB RAM, did *not* originally have USB drivers installed before the update. I use standard MIDI cables through a MIDISPORT 2x2. Power amps enabled (I use the AF for recording at home, using analog outs to a Metric Halo ULN-2 audio interface). Not using any global feature, or scenes (or even X/Y yet), as I'm a fairly recent graduate from an Ultra. Currently no external controllers hooked up.

Here was my update process:

1. Uploaded FW 10 using MIDI cable via Sysex Librarian.
2. Updated all preset banks to the new defaults, overwriting my 9.x presets entirely, again using MIDI cable via Sysex Librarian.
3. NO full system reset; user cabs were still there.
4. Installed USB drivers so I could try out Axe Edit.
5. Played around with Axe Edit a bit to edit and save a few presets; mostly without issue, but yesterday the Axe itself seemed to freeze. The Axe worked fine again after a power cycle. The freeze didn't seem to affect any presets, but I wasn't doing a save at the time. Have not used AxeEdit since.

Other than this, no issues. I've heard nothing but improvement on the tones. I have *not* tried Tone Matching yet, primarily because of the reports with issues and because I generally have continued using Izotope for that. I've used the latest Fractal Bot several times to upload presets from disk, but am thinking I'll stick with MIDI for now.

@feedback... You know the history of AE and you also know a new version is being addressed and there is a Diary thread now that will keep you updated so there really isn't much more to say about that. It's all on the table.

With respect to TM you keep saying 10.02 isn't as good as it used to be and not as accurate. Can you be more specific? Can you post some clips you did with older FW versions and then newer versions to help describe what your talking about? It would help others to help you and diagnose what may or may not be an issue. People here are more than happy to help out but you are going to have to also understand that others may do the same thing you do and have what they feel are great results. Maybe the very same results that sound great to them don't to you. We all have different ears. I don't tone match much but some here are really good at it so if you provide examples and expand on what's different for you other than generalities like "its not as good as it used to be" people can hopefully help you figure it out.

I did this exact thing and only about 5 people commented on it. I used an ogg from "sad but true" Jumped to V9 and did a TM and then Jumped back to V10 and did a TM. Chris was one of them and though the 10 clip was better. I think the 9 clip was better but either way...there is a difference. It seems V10 is lower in the higher frequencies. KnifetheGlitter mentioned the same thing in his Deftones thread. Hopefully whatever it is can get worked out.

Chris was one of them and though the 10 clip was better. I think the 9 clip was better but either way...there is a difference.

yup, definitely a difference.

would it be possible to post a clip of that original file you matched? v10 sounded better to me, but i wasn't comparing "which sounds closer to the original" because i didn't have it :)

I didn't save anything I did but when I get home in about an hour I'll do it again and include the source clip...V9 and both tm versions of V10

Just to piggyback while we are having the Tone Match discussion, I'm curious if anyone having an issue is getting a sound similar to the one in my clip? The clip is in three sections. The first is my local tone, second is what happens when I replace cab block with TM block, and third is results (at around 0:14) when matching my local tone with a youtube clip.

I had great success with tone matching prior to version 10 and was able to tone match anything from youtube clips to a sneeze and had no problems. It would always sound so close it was scary. Definitely something changed but we just need to figure out what it is:

https://soundcloud.com/romanianreaper/tone-match-issue

Just to piggyback while we are having the Tone Match discussion, I'm curious if anyone having an issue is getting a sound similar to the one in my clip? The clip is in three sections. The first is my local tone, second is what happens when I replace cab block with TM block, and third is results (at around 0:14) when matching my local tone with a youtube clip.

I had great success with tone matching prior to version 10 and was able to tone match anything from youtube clips to a sneeze and had no problems. It would always sound so close it was scary. Definitely something changed but we just need to figure out what it is:

https://soundcloud.com/romanianreaper/tone-match-issue

Yes and no. To my ears the 2nd part of the clips sounds like you didn't activate the cab or TM. The 3rd, that hollow, tunnel sound. Yup, that would be what happens when you TRY to TM something in the higher note range. Happens here.

yup, definitely a difference.

would it be possible to post a clip of that original file you matched? v10 sounded better to me, but i wasn't comparing "which sounds closer to the original" because i didn't have it :)

If the thread being discussed is this one, then they both sound a bit different than the original track, which itself sounds more chorused due to it being a mix of multiple guitar tracks, in addition to having a bit more top end, especially on the palm mutes.

Here's a Youtube'd version, so account for compression and other artifacts.

Yea...that's it...I also did it about 8 beers in so I messed it up a bit but hopefully got the point across to some degree...haha.

Yes and no. To my ears the 2nd part of the clips sounds like you didn't activate the cab or TM. The 3rd, that hollow, tunnel sound. Yup, that would be what happens when you TRY to TM something in the higher note range. Happens here.

The second part is normal, just sounds bad because the TM block is replacing the cab block. The third part is the only issue in the clip.

I get the same results with tone matching. My TM'd result sounds boxy and hollow, just like yours did. Maybe we're all doing something wrong, because Cliff says that 10.02 is the same as 9.

The mind boggles.

PS Romanianreaper- Love your Soundcloud tracks :) thumbsup:

I get the same results with tone matching. My TM'd result sounds boxy and hollow, just like yours did. Maybe we're all doing something wrong, because Cliff says that 10.02 is the same as 9.

The mind boggles.

PS Romanianreaper- Love your Soundcloud tracks :) thumbsup:

It's not really rocket science to TM, so it isn't that. Anyone who tries to TM should be able to watch the tutorial if need be and get the same results as that video.
Same as fw9? Might be programed to be fw9 but doesn't react the same way, not on my Axe it doesn't.

randomly? any controllers like a pedal or MFC plugged in?

nope, just the axe into my pc.

Maybe you are talking about changes in presets after installing fw10?
Because that is to be expected. Amps in fw 10 now all have a default Master setting.
This can cause major level changes. Easily remedied by adjusting Amp Level.

nope this happend within V10. i created a patch and stored it, it sounded fine. then i browsed a few other presets and
after reloading the stored preset it sounded way too low, even the setting were the same. this happened a few times now.

@feedback... You know the history of AE and you also know a new version is being addressed and there is a Diary thread now that will keep you updated so there really isn't much more to say about that. It's all on the table.

With respect to TM you keep saying 10.02 isn't as good as it used to be and not as accurate. Can you be more specific? Can you post some clips you did with older FW versions and then newer versions to help describe what your talking about? It would help others to help you and diagnose what may or may not be an issue. People here are more than happy to help out but you are going to have to also understand that others may do the same thing you do and have what they feel are great results. Maybe the very same results that sound great to them don't to you. We all have different ears. I don't tone match much but some here are really good at it so if you provide examples and expand on what's different for you other than generalities like "its not as good as it used to be" people can hopefully help you figure it out.

GO read the forum, where I have posted in threads where users have made recordings, or posted very detailed summaries on their issues!!! phase issue is one of the problems, it's less accurate is another. The fact it get's all muffled and sounds like crap is the problem, can't you listen to those examples showing off the same thing I've been saying is going on from other users? Must I also create crap recordings to make you stop wasting my time?. You made your place on ignore.

It happened to me several times with FW10 to sound like an "ant fart". Uploaded with Fractal Bot, used System-Clean.syx, did the unit reset thing, uploaded FW10 presets. Nothing helped but a reupload of FW10. Used MacBook Pro with OsX 10.8.3 over USB. I think I switched between FW9 and FW10 around 50 times. The need to reupload FW10 happened about 4-5 times. Also, several times, after Fractal-Bot finished the FW10 upload, told me I have to repeat the procedure, on the Axe's screen there was the message that usually comes up when you manually enter into FW upgrade mode (of course I didn't do that).
These thing never happened to me on any FW upgrade (Ultra FW5 up to FW11 and AxeII FW5 up to FW9.02).

P.S.: No Axe-Edit involved

Thank you for sharing your experience, This is the type of stuff I want to hear, real help, not the usual attacks on people because they are having issue's with the beloved Axe Fx II. There is a problem bottom Line, and my skin is thin for the users here who go around spouting how great it is, yet offer no real help. You sir offered real help, and again I thank you. Can we find more users like this guy? This would truly make Fractal forum a great community, now it's one sided crap ola if you ask me.

a few issues i got so far:

-presets vary in sound even i didn't make any changes to them
-volume drops from a good level to almost inaudible
-volume difference between amp models is incredibly high

I've had all those issues and the "phasing and mud type sounds, and also Sustain will be horrid in some cases but rare".

Thank you for sharing your experiences, again these are users the forum needs!!!!!

You can create a poll yourself if you want to. Start a new thread, scroll down and and check Post a poll.

Yek, thank you so much for explaining step by step on how to create a poll. But you just don't get it it seems. I do not want to create a poll on a forum where I can't stand the Politics of it so to speak. You won't go on ignore, but your pals will make it to the list. just sick of their waste of time and space with regards to real issues that are not basic related. I'm going to load the firmware a few more times, and then start writing Cliff personally, seems this forum is and always will be only for the "flow of the forum which is, the Axe is perfect, what are you talking about nothing wrong man, must be you attitude" or "you're a newb here let me help you with newb repeat and wash answers." IF you fit into either of those two categories then the forum is peachy. If not, it's one of the worst forums on the net IMHO. So hopefully Yek that clears up why I didn't make that poll. I will though sent my unit in to Cliff as soon as he says yeah let's figure this out, let's really do something that will resolve it, instead of being strung along day after day, week after week!!!!!

GO read the forum, where I have posted in threads where users have made recordings, or posted very detailed summaries on their issues!!! phase issue is one of the problems, it's less accurate is another. The fact it get's all muffled and sounds like crap is the problem, can't you listen to those examples showing off the same thing I've been saying is going on from other users? Must I also create crap recordings to make you stop wasting my time?. You made your place on ignore.

Dude, you seriously need to work on your people skills. No need to be so abrupt with people. Nobody reads minds and your tone comes across as bordering on rude. NOBODY on the forum owes YOU anything. We're all regular users, just like yourself. If you want to be rude, email Cliff and see how he handles your questionable attitude. Bring a down a notch and lets keep it friendly, shall we? :)

Back
Top Bottom