Can’t nail the Robben Ford sound and I know exactly why. Help?

Okay, finally got something recorded. I have the ODS Ford amp model on edge of breakup and I'm using a Fuzzface to drive the amp and fake the sag.

Believe it or not, to me this sounds really good !! Give the input Dynamics a chance and experiment with lower or higher settings, for me its powerful tool to give it the last touch. Its a very sensitive knob and I really dont like extreme settings here, but in between....a touch more or less makes a difference...

Last edited by a moderator:
Liked that a lot, but on my PRS with WCR Godwood pickups, it sounded to sizzly and not brassy enough. So I added my take in Scene 5 in case it helps. That scene also has a different take with the Nobel Drive if you want to boost gain for leads. 2290 also added, because I know Ford likes that delay, too.
Found a backing track and decided to try recording against one for the first time. Here's that guitar using this preset. Right after the quieter break, I kick in the Nobel drive for some more grind. I'm really curious how my guitar through this patch compares to some more traditional ones, like LP's, SG's, etc.

Apologies for all the clams and bad timing...first take kind of thing.

I'm by no means an expert on neither Dumbles nor Robben Ford, but considering the relatively low volume, I think he is using, I would assume he has a pedal in front for the leads. I am thinking something like a Klon or ZenDrive.

He gets very nice tones in these videos. I especially liked the lead tone on Rose...
Robben isn’t playing low volume, he’s LOUD when playing his Dumbles.

No snark intended, but you’ve probably gotten about as close as you’re going to get without having RF’s fingers surgically implanted in place of your own…

I know the whole adage “tone is in the hands” gets very tiring, but if there’s anyone that it rings true for, it’s Robben.

In the video posted above, he picks up Dan’s Gibson and sounds just like Robben. A lot of his tone comes from his picking hand. One of the most dynamic players on the planet.

Factor in Robben’s touch, guitar, and Dumble made amps tailored to the player.
I would, but not necessarily just try to capture someone else’s sound completely based upon what they used. Don’t let your eyes dictate what you’re after… at least with the Fractal.

When I saw the R.Ford demo video, I had to download the preset immediately. This is the sound I hear on half the tracks on the Left Coast 70s webradio station and I love it.
Since I had my Strat on FM3 I played it right away and it fits great, with very little Bright Cap and Treble tweaking. I can't wait to unpack a humbucker guitar.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom