Bought a real Wah Wah again today......

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Even though the Axe Fx II Wah Wah is good, to me it just doesn't have the expressive quickness of a real wah. It does all the right frequency sweeps, but seems laggy in comparison to a real one. Went with my trusted Dunlop 535Q(best wah for money IMO). This is the only thing I just have not been able to be 100% happy with on the Axe Fx II

Interesting ... I am a wah head, I also have a 535Q ... but my setup with the Axe and Midiman expression pedal kill it. I can have all sorts of frequncy ranges, plus auto engage. You can adjust the slope to make it wah faster on the control page. Or make it hang in one frequency range longer in the sweep.

But the 535Q is very cool ...

It's hard to explain. A real wah is just more immediate. I have my Boss FV500 calibrated right and I know how to tinker with settings. End of day it just sounds better with real wah for me.

Reactions: BMH
I was trying to use a Crybaby initially with the Axe FX II too. I found the Axe FX Wah to sound better and is 100 times more flexible. Even if it wasn't, I could tell there was some tone coloration when in bypass, which drives me CRAZY, and is something I just won't put up with. Love the Axe Wah!

It's hard to explain. A real wah is just more immediate. I have my Boss FV500 calibrated right and I know how to tinker with settings. End of day it just sounds better with real wah for me.

Check your settings for input impedance on the Layout / Gate page.

If the wah block is first in the grid and you have input impedance set to Auto, you might be getting some tone loss. The AxeFx II will change the input impedance on behalf of the wah block and load down your pups. Fix the input impedance at 1M and see if the wah improves.

Richard

In personally I don’t like the crybaby ones except the rack one which is expensive and take space in the rack
Pre Axe I used Ibanez WD7 (still have it, collecting dust) which has also auto engage and few knobs for settings and its optic and has a great wah sound but…..
My Axe wah presets fast auto engaged with a mission pedal = kill'em all!
I got a couple of wah presets (different for clean crunch or metal funky etc.) and its pure bliss.

I use a crybaby aswell and was wondering how do you turn the wah on and off with the axe, I tried using a digitech floor controller but I had to use one foot to use the wah and another button to turn it on and off. Do the proper pedals have a latching switch or similar?

Even though the Axe Fx II Wah Wah is good, to me it just doesn't have the expressive quickness of a real wah. It does all the right frequency sweeps, but seems laggy in comparison to a real one. Went with my trusted Dunlop 535Q(best wah for money IMO). This is the only thing I just have not been able to be 100% happy with on the Axe Fx II

Tremonti, I'm with you on this. My vintage Vox wah definitely has more mojo than the one lurking in the Axe. There is just something visceral about stepping on a wah pedal that I've not yet been able to get from the one in the box. Using a Mission pedal helps at least in the feel department so that may close the gap for ya if you're willing to meet it half way. Hard to argue sticking with the 535Q though, bested mine in a shootout with some wah snobs a few years back and I had to concede defeat.

Same impression here. Ive got my 535Q too but i preffer Custom Rack Wah by Dunlop gives a step forward versatility. Axe just doesnt sound right in terms of warmth(no offence Cliff :)).

It's not just a sound thing, or a feel of a real wah travel(has nothing to do with Axe Fx...currently have a Boss FV500 and previously had a mission that felt just like a real wah).

The deal is the intimacy of the micro delay from use to sound. It ain't the same and purely an analog type thing I guess. For slowly using wah the axe is fine. But bulls on parade by rage against the machine...axe wah is a no go!

Back
Top Bottom