Bought a real Wah Wah again today......

Any tips for Axe Fx wah settings? While I love my Dunlop wah I do miss the auto off function.

Gonna re-try using the Axe Fx wah via midi again.

As I said in wish section, it's time for wah wah types, like we have overdrive types.

I also proposed slopes for Mission pedals since many users have them.

Having to look on Wiki and winging is BS at this stage IMO.

I'm still on the Ultra, but I've had no problems getting great wah sounds with it. The great thing about it is the flexibility. You can add filters to it, or run two different wahs in parallel, or combine it with the formant thingo, or whatever.

That said, back in the pre-Axe days I used to use a 535Q and it was indeed a nice wah. I'll be looking to pick something up again sometime in the future for my non-Axe rig, but haven't really thought about what it'd be.

I think the 535q is a COOL pedal

but kills tone

It has good features but degrades the hell out of the guitar...

the only wah's i've found that don't do that- are morley

i have a bad horsie 1 and bad horsie 2

I'm getting killer wah tones. And I just picked up two mission pedals which definitely gave me back the wah feel I've been missing. I use a spring loaded ep-1 now. Feels and sound great.

I have several wah pedals (vintage and modern) and I have yet to be able to match them using just the Axe FX with a Mission exp pedal. What I've been able to dial in is somewhat in the neighborhood and might seem fine to someone who's not used to using wah pedals. But as soon as I plug in my actual wah pedals, the difference is fairly apparent. To be clear, I've tried quite a few suggested settings found on the forum.

I'd love to see some improvement in this area if it's possible.

could somebody post a great wah preset (not just an effect block), but it's okay if your preset has nothing except the wah block in it. I just want to copy your settings into my presets and see if I can learn something and benefit from the settings you are having success with. I have some recordings of me with an X3 Live and later with HD500 and I'm nervous to say this out loud - but those wahs sounded better to my ears than my Axe II.

BUT I'M SUPREMELY CONFIDENT I JUST NEED TO CHANGE MY SETTINGS. I just don't know where to begin. I currently use Auto Engage linked to a modifier and control that with an expression pedal via a Midi CC on my Liquid Foot.

As with presets I see and try here on the forum, I do not simply save those to my system and use them as is, but I do dissect them to gain knowledge of how guys are programming and using the vast in-depth settings more fully than I am.

Thanks

I just tried putting a dunlop crybaby between guitar and axe again for a change and came to the conclusion that I'm simply not the analog man anymore.
I liked the feel of the dunlop over the boss expression pedal I use, definitely feels more "wah" to me, but that's about it. The crybaby adds a lot of additional noise and colors the tone even in bypassed state. Sure, it's a good pedal (and the only analog pedal I did not sell after getting the axe), but I just think the sound of the crybaby was not enough to make up for the drawbacks, so I went back to my simulated crybaby in the axe.

could somebody post a great wah preset (not just an effect block), but it's okay if your preset has nothing except the wah block in it. I just want to copy your settings into my presets and see if I can learn something and benefit from the settings you are having success with. I have some recordings of me with an X3 Live and later with HD500 and I'm nervous to say this out loud - but those wahs sounded better to my ears than my Axe II.

BUT I'M SUPREMELY CONFIDENT I JUST NEED TO CHANGE MY SETTINGS. I just don't know where to begin. I currently use Auto Engage linked to a modifier and control that with an expression pedal via a Midi CC on my Liquid Foot.

As with presets I see and try here on the forum, I do not simply save those to my system and use them as is, but I do dissect them to gain knowledge of how guys are programming and using the vast in-depth settings more fully than I am.

Thanks

I posted an effects block in the thread that you can get the settings from. I'm not sure what the difference would be between having that vs a preset. Just import the effects block and you'll have the exact settings

Thanks

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=1119 that, for my style, is a great wah.

Latency or lagginess could be caused by MIDI traffic.
Instead, try the onboard PEDAL jack. Response is always as snappy as can be.

Think I tweaked axe Fx wah to my liking now. Pulling the Dunlop 535q from rig. 535q sounds great, but sucks tone and doesn't have auto on/off and that is majorly annoying to me now.

Think I tweaked axe Fx wah to my liking now. Pulling the Dunlop 535q from rig. 535q sounds great, but sucks tone and doesn't have auto on/off and that is majorly annoying to me now.

You're kidding?! Pleae share the magic settings! :mrgreen

You're kidding?! Pleae share the magic settings! :mrgreen

Still tweaking. Don't think it will ever sound as good with current firmware anyways. But the Dunlop just took away too much tone in its "bypassed" state. That and ease of auto off is too good to pass up.

Wish more effort would be made on firmware with regards to wah. But more amp models seems to be priority and I'm not sure why since I have so many now to choose from its like ordering from a massive Chinese menu. Too many options me thinks....

Have been messing about with guitars since 1987 and have never once used a wah... until a couple weeks ago when I got an Axe II and an expression pedal

Just threw any old wah block in there, amended the curve a little, but am cockahoop with the results :D

Sure, it's probably more 'novelty' than 'authentic', but it really matters not to me!
guitar.gif

Still tweaking. Don't think it will ever sound as good with current firmware anyways. But the Dunlop just took away too much tone in its "bypassed" state. That and ease of auto off is too good to pass up.

Wish more effort would be made on firmware with regards to wah. But more amp models seems to be priority and I'm not sure why since I have so many now to choose from its like ordering from a massive Chinese menu. Too many options me thinks....

I don't think the problem is the wah, but rather the presentation.

To Cliff, it seems so simple, it's just.......insert whatever.

For us, wah types with all the settings defaulting to the proper amounts would be a big step in the right direction.

Feel is a major issue to be resolved. Cliff would have to have the wahs on hand and test them to see how they react through out their travel and create curves to mimic. We are guessing with trial and error.

I don't think the problem is the wah, but rather the presentation.

To Cliff, it seems so simple, it's just.......insert whatever.

For us, wah types with all the settings defaulting to the proper amounts would be a big step in the right direction.

Feel is a major issue to be resolved. Cliff would have to have the wahs on hand and test them to see how they react through out their travel and create curves to mimic. We are guessing with trial and error.

Agreed.....he has done the homework for us in the amps, drives, and other effects.....but the wah is still "make it what you want". Most of us probably want an easy turn and burn approach. I know I do.....

Played gig last night with Axe Fx II wah. Still needs tweaking. Didn't sound as full or dramatic as my Dunlop 535Q. The test is if it sounds great, you will use it more....I used it sparingly. Wah is sometimes my soloing crutch....a bad thing really.....but I definitely want it to sound more like the Dunlop 535Q.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Played gig last night with Axe Fx II wah. Still needs tweaking. Didn't sound as full or dramatic as my Dunlop 535Q. The test is if it sounds great, you will use it more....I used it sparingly. Wah is sometimes my soloing crutch....a bad thing really.....but I definitely want it to sound more like the Dunlop 535Q.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My advice would be to go to my WISH thread and post your thoughts there, perhaps if more people comment something will get done. As you might remember, I bitched for a 1964 Super Reverb for a long time before we got one, now many people love that amp. Squeaky wheel syndrome.

Back
Top Bottom