Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.02 Firmware Release

Quick question: in the cab block when we adjust the motor drive we have a gain meter on the front screen of the Axe so we can monitor the db gain to set it appropriately when we raise the motor drive value; be it 3db or 6db or whatever you're looking for. Now that we are setting that in the Amp block we have the B+ meter on that page but no gain meter to take the same approach. I know I will get a 'use your ears' knee jerk response, but even Cliff said he put the meter there for this reason in the cab block and I felt it was a helpful way to adjust the motor drive value. Is there a similar option when setting this value in the amp block?
The gain meter is there. Just highlight the Motor Drive knob, and there you go. :)

The actual value for a particular speaker is all over the map. The time constant is proportional to the mass and the thermal resistance of the voice coil. Both these values can vary widely. 200 ms is based on a typical theta of 1 degree C/W and a mass of 10g. I don't really feel like destroying all my nice vintage speakers to measure the voice coil mass.

Is there a formula to calculate it?? Or do you happen to know the appropriate value for a celestion blue?

The actual value for a particular speaker is all over the map. The time constant is proportional to the mass and the thermal resistance of the voice coil. Both these values can vary widely. 200 ms is based on a typical theta of 1 degree C/W and a mass of 10g. I don't really feel like destroying all my nice vintage speakers to measure the voice coil mass.
I need that feature in the AX8, please, please! :)

I have read others comment that they prefer the motor drive in the cab block, and I agree. I know they're supposed to be identical, but I couldn't get the one in the amp block to sound the same.

I have read others comment that they prefer the motor drive in the cab block, and I agree. I know they're supposed to be identical, but I couldn't get the one in the amp block to sound the same.

set the motor drive time const parameter in the advanced tab of amp block higher - 200 is now default iirc, 500 was default in the beta, I think it sounds nice even at 1000

set the motor drive time const parameter in the advanced tab of amp block higher - 200 is now default iirc, 500 was default in the beta, I think it sounds nice even at 1000
Yeah, I tried that. And I agree, I thought 1000mS was cool.

They're not identical; the amp block parameter computes the respective LF/HF res values while the cab block uses set LF/HF.
Maybe that's it. I'll have to play around with the res values and see what that sound like (funny how we use "see" for hearing).

yes, i've been comparing 50ms to 200ms. it's difficult to hear exactly what's happening at bedroom volume, but 50ms seems like it would work well for chugs and palm mutes, because the compressor recovers between chords and compresses faster. this suggests to me that it would sound good for that type of material, because it would react in a way that's appropriate for what's being played (just like how you would set up a compressor in your daw etc). a more "explosive" attack would result.

You guys said Chugs, uhhh he he, huh huh (once I swear I invented this word circa 1987) maybe I did!

Back
Top Bottom