Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.02 Firmware Release

Dropping the time constant om the amp block motor drive to 50 is yielding way more desirable results for me. Super happy its one of the things we have control over now!

What was the default? What was the difference sound wise between default and the value you like? Do you notice much difference between using it in the cab or amp block?

Dropping the time constant om the amp block motor drive to 50 is yielding way more desirable results for me. Super happy its one of the things we have control over now!

The actual value for a particular speaker is all over the map. The time constant is proportional to the mass and the thermal resistance of the voice coil. Both these values can vary widely. 200 ms is based on a typical theta of 1 degree C/W and a mass of 10g. I don't really feel like destroying all my nice vintage speakers to measure the voice coil mass.

The actual value for a particular speaker is all over the map. The time constant is proportional to the mass and the thermal resistance of the voice coil. Both these values can vary widely. 200 ms is based on a typical theta of 1 degree C/W and a mass of 10g. I don't really feel like destroying all my nice vintage speakers to measure the voice coil mass.

What was the default in 7.02 beta? it seemed much higher, which I like :)

Further to your post, I was playing with time constant values from 50 to 250 : it shows how powerful and subtle is the new motor drive algorythm. If you try it with a nearly clean sound, breaking a little, you get very interesting results. I really like the way it reacts to your playing dynamics. The feel response with this FW is greatly improved, I dig that. And btw Class A amps are just incredible now !

And btw Class A amps are just incredible now !

Yes they are - I've spent more time in the past week on them than ever. Especially VOX 15 and 30W; tied a FAS EV1 to the Input Drive and you get glorious cleans to bite, to chewy, to growl, to OH Man! (sounds like the journey of a jalapeno popper through your GIT ;):p).

I love how the FAS EV-1 is precise enough just to add in the right amount of INPUT (sort of like kicking in a low drive SSD preamp) and just keep going and back later. Does interesting things with SC pickups. :)

Also, maybe I'm just crazy, but I placed the EV-1 at 90* rotated to the left/perpendicular to normal heel-toe (it slipped a little so I gave it a push - out of floorspace right now), up against the MFC and I can press side to side to get and hold the INPUT trim. I won't keep this, but it seemed to work - for this application only likely; if you had to modulate at any real speed - you couldn't.

Further to your post, I was playing with time constant values from 50 to 250 : it shows how powerful and subtle is the new motor drive algorythm. If you try it with a nearly clean sound, breaking a little, you get very interesting results. I really like the way it reacts to your playing dynamics. The feel response with this FW is greatly improved, I dig that. And btw Class A amps are just incredible now !
I just went and tried this on my dc30 patch and playing with the amp block motor drive got it to feel even chewier than it was before. I don't need nearly as much dB reduction compared to my rhythm and bass patches for the effect on this patch either, I feel like just messing with the gain knob on it could get me any tone I would need from the axe and it's blowing my mind haha

What was the default? What was the difference sound wise between default and the value you like? Do you notice much difference between using it in the cab or amp block?
Five minutes in front of your Axe will answer your questions better than anyone else's words could. :)

Last edited:
Quick question: in the cab block when we adjust the motor drive we have a gain meter on the front screen of the Axe so we can monitor the db gain to set it appropriately when we raise the motor drive value; be it 3db or 6db or whatever you're looking for. Now that we are setting that in the Amp block we have the B+ meter on that page but no gain meter to take the same approach. I know I will get a 'use your ears' knee jerk response, but even Cliff said he put the meter there for this reason in the cab block and I felt it was a helpful way to adjust the motor drive value. Is there a similar option when setting this value in the amp block?

Back
Top Bottom