Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 5.00 Public Beta

I've never heard of a Hook Captain amp...which involks quite the word picture...but I look forward to trying the firmware. Thank you!

Is there a way to "see" on which firmware a preset was created ? Thanks .

Open fractool, drag the preset and drop it in the magnifying glass icon, in the dialog box you will see:
-In purple letters: Loaded preset "XXX.syx" ok
-In white letters: Preset version : "0x500" (example)

0x500 is the ID for Quantum 4. The number that follows the "x" letter shows the evolution in FW. Low numbers belongs to early firmwares.
Firmware 15.08 is from summer of 2014 so they are pretty old presets. I don't have the exact ID for this FW but can do an aproximation, since 0x213 is the ID for FW 16.01 and 0x211 is the ID for FW 15.02 I think FW 15.08 falls in between...you get the picture?

NO big deal because presets prior to FW15.08 can be loaded but may need some tweaking.

If you have an old preset there's an easy way for update it to quantum4 and therefore avoid the tweaking...before update to FWQ5 load this preset into the machine and save it: problem solved!
Then you can export the preset or left it into the machine, in both cases the preset will have the recent 0x500 ID and will work flawlessly when you update to FWQ5.

Last edited:
Thank you! Mil gracias Cliff! This is awesome :)

For the first time since I've started playing with one of the first public versions of the old Standard Axe-FX, I have one preset that doesn't sound good after an upgrade.

It is not a big deal because I don't mind to start from scratch, and it's a beta version, but I post it here just for curiosity, in the case that someones find what parameter to tweak. It sounds OK with Q4.XX but too "thin" when switching to LATEST

Here is the preset. It is using the LEGATO100.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46804116/Carvin Legacy Clean.syx

Axe-FX II Mark I

Open fractool, drag the preset and drop it in the magnifying glass icon, in the dialog box you will see:
-In purple letters: Loaded preset "XXX.syx" ok
-In white letters: Preset version : "0x500" (example)

0x500 is the ID for Quantum 4.
Firmware 15.08 is from summer of 2014 so they are pretty old presets. I don't have the exact ID for this FW but can do an aproximation, since 0x213 is the ID for FW 16.01 and 0x211 is the ID for FW 15.02 I think FW 15.08 falls in between...you get the picture?

NO big deal because presets prior to FW15.08 can be loaded but may need some tweaking.

If you have an old preset there's an easy way for update it to quantum4 and therefore avoid the tweaking...before update to FWQ5 load this preset into the machine and save it: problem solved!
Then you can export the preset or left it into the machine, in both cases the preset will have the recent 0x500 ID and will work flawlessly when you update to FWQ5.

Thanks a lot ! That's exactly what I was thinking about : to have a look at some older presets, if necessary re saving them in Q4 and after that I will update to Q5. Great info :)

hey cliff,

i just wanted to extend a massive thank you for taking the time and effort to keep mk2 users included. one of the things that sold me on your product was the unparalleled dedication to continually refine and improve the products.

i know virtually all hardware has a shelf life when it comes to updates and support (which i've taken advantage of at every opportunity) but the effort put into keeping an older products users happy speaks volumes about your commitment and love of the axe fx community.

thanks buddy :)

Thanks for the hard work, guys! Much respect to Cliff and company.

Eager to get home and give the Hook clean a run through. I'm excited.

I had happened to take today off from work. I was already planning on spending the day playing guitar. Lucky me!

Man that Capt Hook sounds incredible .. all channels are awesome ..
never heard about that amp before ..
everything sounds so very good in this machine now it's amazing

Reactions: wga
tested and love new qt5 plexi's and the new drive block types.
really addictive and realistic drive that i want since many years :smilingimp:, thanks so much for this big improvement

i just have a little issue on existing presets previously near the cpu limit, now they clip due to the cpu overload (3% added approximatly)

This inspires me a suggestion: is it possible to have an effect type like "none" which we can set on some unused "Y' bloc state to decrease cpu loading?

Last edited:
There are still a couple Drive blocks that need rematching.

If you are into Master Volume Marshalls and the like (this includes Rectos, Bogners, some flavors of Soldano, and more) then this is the firmware for you. Those models will be much "juicier" now. Fender, Vox, etc. models are unchanged.
You and your team are so awesome!!!! Thank you for keeping up the giving!!! <3 <3 <3 So happy with my AX8

Back
Top Bottom