Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.01 Public Beta

i say we don't start eliminating blocks, leave the former flagship be just that. I'm think since the MK I & II are nearing the end of their upgradable life, stop offering various FW versions and stick with the newest and let it die a respectable death. onward and upward.

Yeah, I think it would be better to get a few more upgradable years if it's not too much work by removing blocks that are rarely used. And if you want those blocks you can just leave it at current firmware. But at least there would be an option for Mk1/2 users.

How hard would it be to upgrade the boot ROM of the earlier versions?

It's impossible. While larger boot ROMs may be available in that package, the extra needed address lines are not present. A parallel memory requires N address lines for 2^N memory locations. So even if there were a ROM that was four times bigger it wouldn't work because the two extra address lines required are not there.

#1... Is the Captn Hook amp just off the f&%^n chain good?.........YES!

#2...Has Cliff and FAS always done the best they could for us?.....HELL YES!

#3....Am I grateful for what they have done for us?......ABSOLUTELY!

#4.....Would I rather just purchase an AXE III than to worry about all this?......WITH OUT A DOUBT!

#5......Should I or anyone feel ashamed that we would want to further the life of our MkI's by getting rid of old versions?........haha haha haha hah haha haha haha haha haha haha.......NO!..........Onward Fellas!

Here's my take on it...

The ability to easily switch between modelling versions was never a feature to begin with. It was graciously added by Cliff because people kept saying...'the new versions keep changing the sound of my presets, I want to go back to version x.x'. Which you could always do and still can, by re-installing previous firmware versions with Fractal-Bot, which only takes a couple of minutes.

Prior to the roll-back feature being added, I'm certain I recall reading that the MKI/MKII would be supported for a long time because it had the same processing power as the XL/XL+ and they both shared the same code. The only main difference was the ability to store more presets in the XL/XL+, which most people don't need...myself included. So now that the last few versions of the algorithms are included with each update, the MKI/MKII, which have less ROM capacity, will soon no longer be able to handle the ever-increasing size of the compiled firmware, even with the compression algorithm Cliff added.

It's like saying, I'll upgrade to Windows 10, but I still want to be able to use Windows 8.x, Windows 7.x, Windows Vista, Windows 95 and Windows 3.1. Definitely not necessary, but doable with a boot loader. So in essence, Cliff has added a 'boot loader' to the firmware, so you can easily switch modelling versions. However, unlike my OS analogy, it only takes a couple of minutes to rollback modelling versions in the Axe-Fx, without the 'boot loader', unlike the hour or more it would take to re-install Windows OS versions each time.

So, in my opinion, XL/XL+ users are not really losing any features, you can still rollback modelling versions in a couple of minutes...which in my opinion, with Q4.x is not necessary anyway, it's so easy to dial-in tones now without tweaking advanced parameters.

I see it as a win-win, not a win-lose. :)

Spot on !!!

Presets always work, just might need tweaked. I've never not been able to make something work, only one time but it was a bug that got fixed.

Back
Top Bottom