Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.01 Public Beta

preamp tube types are there (in axe edit)

Right because this is not a new parameter, just new variations of that parameter. Harmonics is not going to be there until Axe Edit is updated. It would be nice if Axe Edit could automatically see new parameters but maybe not possible.

Right because this is not a new parameter, just new variations of that parameter. Harmonics is not going to be there until Axe Edit is updated. It would be nice if Axe Edit could automatically see new parameters but maybe not possible.

but it does update definitions of existing parameters/blocks

Last edited:
Anyone care to remind me of what exactly the "modern" tube type was that will be missing? I don't think I was even using it but would like a refresher as I completely forgot. Also, is there any selection in there now that is a "long plate" tube type?

Improved tube interaction modeling. A new parameter, “Harmonics”, controls the amount of interaction. Higher values yield softer distortion.
The default value is set for each amp model but may be overridden.

This is a very interesting new parameter addition to the AFX; I spent some time with it using clean, mid-gain, and hi-gain amps. I only needed small adjustments from the defaults to change the distortion character to put a 'fine polish' on the breakup harmonics.

The other thing I noticed tonight is how lean the CPU usage has become on the platform these days; I had to slim down my kitchen sink preset template a while ago since I was hitting CPU limits a few versions of firmware back. I've been working on all new tones/templates for a new live project with Q2 and can add even more FX blocks then I could before and the CPU still has lots of headroom. The CPU optimization is fantastic...opens up more options for me.

Anyone care to remind me of what exactly the "modern" tube type was that will be missing? I don't think I was even using it but would like a refresher as I completely forgot. Also, is there any selection in there now that is a "long plate" tube type?

LONG PLATE – An accurate model of a classic “long plate” 12AX7.
MODERN – An idealized 12AX7 model. This is the same model from version
18.04 firmware. This model is useful for high gain tones that can benefit from the increased clarity and string separation.
SHORT PLATE – An accurate model of a modern “short plate” production 12AX7.
VINTAGE – Another idealized 12AX7 model also from version 18.04 firmware. It has a softer breakup than the Modern model and is useful for “vintage” tones where more base nonlinearity is present.

I may need to reload the beta. I tried a bunch of different amps and the default on Harmonics was always at 0. I am assuming this shouldn't be the case, right?

Loaded b2.01
Yesterday my AXE froze, while switching presets with a midi controller. It happened at soundcheck, so im a bit worried about the coming gig.

I may need to reload the beta. I tried a bunch of different amps and the default on Harmonics was always at 0. I am assuming this shouldn't be the case, right?

No not all are on 0 - try the Mesa's or Friedmans they are not - any way I just use a bit more than default and thats enough for me.

Loaded b2.01
Yesterday my AXE froze, while switching presets with a midi controller. It happened at soundcheck, so im a bit worried about the coming gig.

Maybe through the new fw a preset has gone bad - so check if the Axe freezes always on the same preset when you switch them. Then you have to "kill" that preset and all is good again. Happend to me over half a year ago and took me a while till I realised it was only this one preset which caused to freeze.

Loaded b2.01

Which Axe-Fx II hardware model do you have?
Do you use user cabs, and/or global blocks?

Which Axe-Fx II hardware model do you have?
Do you use user cabs, and/or global blocks?
AXE FX II MK I, no global blocks. I should check about user cabs (cannot check now), there may be some user cabs among my presets.

Maybe through the new fw a preset has gone bad - so check if the Axe freezes always on the same preset when you switch them. Then you have to "kill" that preset and all is good again. Happend to me over half a year ago and took me a while till I realised it was only this one preset which caused to freeze.
After a reboot it seemed to work fine, i used the same presets after reboot.

Well, what can I say?

xd
Yay Fractal, George Carlin quotes, anything but "first". Let's keep this place a little bit better than a YouTube comment section, Ivan Broski.
brofessor
brotato chip
Let's just keep it brofessional. I'm just kidding around usually, but 'first' is kid stuff.
photo.jpg

Is it just me, or did the guitar volume knob dynamics (roll up/down to break-up back to clean) get better on many amps?

Hard for me to really judge objectively; being so new to the platform and I changed my playing style on a few Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits tunes by cranking the volume higher but picking softer (and more right hand dynamics/amplitude variations) and I'm digging how it all sounds. I may not fully understand what's under the hood (although I'm learning as fast as possible), but love this thing!

FW updates are like Christmas. Girlfriend now understands what happens when a new one is released. :tongueclosed:

Back
Top Bottom