Axe-Fx II and Pro Tools 9

I did a very brief test with it when I first tried the Axe-fx II. The Axe-fx II worked with protools 9 in a quick test I did.

I really doubt a noticable lag will be present. Firewire is faster with the digidesign but thats mostly because you have multiple mic/line inputs that will send on seperate tracks along with a whole bunch of assignable outs. Something I think USB will have a problem with. I cannot tell you it will work 100% as I have yet to physically try this type of setup for myself but I think its safe to say you will be fine.

USB 2 can handle multiple ins/outs w/o issue and still maintain low latency. I've done it lots of times.

Now, for me, the big question is will I be able to get Pro Tools HD 7.4 to recognize the Axefx2 coming in USB or will I just go the analog route Like I've been doing?

I have having to update to PTHD 9 and paying for all the 3rd party updates...and then hoping it's as stable as 7.4 has been. :(

Steve

The protools 9 is operated with ASIO drivers and AXE II pc too. If you monitor THROUGH THE AXE II latency is 0, if you monitor from a DAW latency depend on the computer you use.
It also has drivers for mac, and mac protools 9 can also be used with other independent interfaces. The result will be the same
THROUGH THE AXEII monitoring latency 0
THROUGH THE DAW monitoring latency depends on your computer.

USB 2 can handle multiple ins/outs w/o issue and still maintain low latency. I've done it lots of times.

I meant that in more complex setups, I guess thats why they prefer to use Firewire over USB(because of its speed). Ive also used mbox's that are usb and have multiple ins/outs without ever having any problems.

As far as any other pro tools below versions 9, I have yet to be able to run pro tools and another audio interface at the same time.

Now, for me, the big question is will I be able to get Pro Tools HD 7.4 to recognize the Axefx2 coming in USB or will I just go the analog route Like I've been doing?

I have having to update to PTHD 9 and paying for all the 3rd party updates...and then hoping it's as stable as 7.4 has been. :(

Steve
I'm pretty sure not. third party drivers were not supported until 9.

I meant that in more complex setups, I guess thats why they prefer to use Firewire over USB(because of its speed). Ive also used mbox's that are usb and have multiple ins/outs without ever having any problems.

As far as any other pro tools below versions 9, I have yet to be able to run pro tools and another audio interface at the same time.

I'm talking more complex setup. My studio is 32 in/32 out w/ USB. I have not tested with protools but cakewalk sonar handles it just fine. I agree about protools below 9.

Last edited:
There is a re-wire plugin in protools that we can maybe try playing around with. Maybe if you go into the device properties once the axe drivers are installed and tell it to use the digidesign as its main out's, and somehow use the re-wire pluggin, maybe there is a way to get it to work on previous versions but again, once we actually have one ( AXE II ), thats when it becomes trial and error and we see what will work and wont.

Its wired that the mbox's are usb and the 002/003 are firewire.Why not just stick to usb. Most laptop pc's dont even come with firewire ( macs do though).

They were smart in opening up pro tools to the other platforms though. Its great for everyone to now be able to have 1 common software to record to. When you go in most big professional studios, its almost always pro tools.

I've used a few different 3rd party usb and firewire interfaces with Pt9 (metric halo uln-2, apogee one/duet among others) and all of them have worked better than my mboxes or digi002 ever did in previous pt versions, fewer errors and crashes all around. Although I have no first hand experience with the Axe II, I'm confident it will work fine in PT9 since it is a class compliant USB interface. Regarding the USB vs FireWire dillemma, my understanding is that even though FireWire does have a faster theoretical limit, it's main advantage over USB for audio is bandwidth, meaning more simultaneous audio streams. This won't be an issue on the axe II since it's only capable of sending/receiving relatively few tracks (4out/2in I believe). Also, since recording to an external hard drive is still a requirement of pro tools (even though I've had small projects run fine from the internal disk) this frees up your FireWire port to be dedicated to you hard drive. This would be great for me since my main setup of my FireWire based ULN2 and external hard drive are currently pushing my macbook pro's single FireWire bus pretty hard. Please correct me if any of this is wrong but I sure am excited to try it out as soon as I get my hands on the new beast!

I have another question. If I wanted to play along with an MP3 in iTunes, would there be any way to output sound from the laptop through the Axe 2 and out the FRFR monitors? Could I play along with this MP3? I'm using the 003 now and I can only choose the DAW for playthrough, or switch over to AUX for computer sound, and can't play along with anything on iTunes.

I guess I could keep my 003 and KRK monitors, have the 1/8" out to the interface and play MP3s and computer sound through there, and keep the Axe FX only putting out recordings and instruments.

I have another question. If I wanted to play along with an MP3 in iTunes, would there be any way to output sound from the laptop through the Axe 2 and out the FRFR monitors? Could I play along with this MP3? I'm using the 003 now and I can only choose the DAW for playthrough, or switch over to AUX for computer sound, and can't play along with anything on iTunes.

I guess I could keep my 003 and KRK monitors, have the 1/8" out to the interface and play MP3s and computer sound through there, and keep the Axe FX only putting out recordings and instruments.

Import your mp3 into protools. then add another track and only record enable that track and do your recordings there and you should get playback of your mp3 and your guitar track at the same time.

In the moment that the Axe II is installed as audio interface on your computer also mp3s are going to be played through the unit. No need to fire up PT just to play along.

In the moment that the Axe II is installed as audio interface on your computer also mp3s are going to be played through the unit. No need to fire up PT just to play along.

Yep. You just set the application to output to the axe-fx (make sure the input of the axe-fx is NOT set to USB) and it will play the mp3 and you can jam over it.

I would prefer some shorter way to get that done, and to possibly get sound other than MP3s from the laptop.

This is getting off topic but with your 003, if you have your computers built in audio output cabled the the 003's aux input you can press the button that sends the aux channel into pro tools on ch 7-8. Then just make an aux track in PT with the input set to 7-8 and all of your computers sound will play through along with your project. Hope that helps.

Simply set your default playback device to the Axe-Fx II. All system audio will route to the Axe-Fx II.

Back
Top Bottom