Axe-Fx II and Pro Tools 9

mrdavek

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on an Eleven Rack...Before the great news regarding the AXE FX II

My big question is this ..can the AxeFX 2 now be used as a recording interface with Protools 9?

It looks like it will, but I'd like one of the beta testers or Cliff to confirm if they've tested it with PT9

You still need a way to get the AXE into your computer. I use a Mackie 1220i firewire mixer and Pro Tools 9. Works well.

You still need a way to get the AXE into your computer. I use a Mackie 1220i firewire mixer and Pro Tools 9. Works well.

Not true.

"An Audio Class 2.0 compliant USB interface is provided for both audio streaming and remote control/communication. You can record the Axe-Fx II main outputs on your connected PC or Mac, and on USB 2.0 systems, simultaneously capture a 3rd "dry" track for re-amping later. You can also monitor or process computer audio tracks with the Axe-Fx II, and high speed MIDI-over-USB eliminates the headaches of 3rd party legacy MIDI interfaces for remote control, backup and restore, or Axe-Edit sessions."

So, does anyone have confirmation that the Axe FX II could be used with Pro Tools 9, directly through the USB connection?

How much would the latency suffer since USB is slower than the firewire Digidesign 003 interfaces with Pro Tools 8 used?

I'm planning to incorporate a MacBook Pro permanently into an Axe FX II rack for editing purposes, and plug into a home 003/KRK setup for recording demos/ideas with programmed drums. Would I be able to record directly into the laptop instead of plugging into the 003 when needed?

How about if I had a couple of FRFR monitors for the Axe FX II, would I be able to use them to listen to rough mixes I've recorded through Pro Tools 9 with programmed drums and the Axe FX II, or would I still need to plug into a pair of desktop monitors?

I you do some thread searching, maybe the tech question thread?, I believe Windows audio applications will work, but you can't use the AxeFx II and another audio interface at the same time; i.e. you have to switch your audio setting in whatever Windows DAW you are using.

OTOH, IIR, the Mac does not have that limitation.

Richard

So, does anyone have confirmation that the Axe FX II could be used with Pro Tools 9, directly through the USB connection?

How much would the latency suffer since USB is slower than the firewire Digidesign 003 interfaces with Pro Tools 8 used?

I'm planning to incorporate a MacBook Pro permanently into an Axe FX II rack for editing purposes, and plug into a home 003/KRK setup for recording demos/ideas with programmed drums. Would I be able to record directly into the laptop instead of plugging into the 003 when needed?
I'm no expert, but I thought PT required a valid digi hardware interface connected (such as 003), and will not work as a stand-alone DAW. If so.. your answer is no!

I'm no expert, but I thought PT required a valid digi hardware interface connected (such as 003), and will not work as a stand-alone DAW. If so.. your answer is no!

PT9 did away with the Avid/Digi-only hardware requirement. You can use any interface now.

Yep, PT9 isn't hardware dependent. I emailed Fractal Audio and was told that nobody has attempted using the Axe 2 with PT9, but that it should work. Digidesign products are notoriously incompatible with other companies, and although PT9 is designed to be used with non-Digi/Avid interfaces, I'm hesitant to take the plunge on PT9 until someone can verify that it'll be fine with the Axe 2.

I also haven't seen anything on the board about whether the sound from mixes in PT9 (or any DAW) can be output from the Axe 2 into FRFR speakers instead of studio monitors. I can't think of any reasons it couldn't, but people around here have more knowledge and experience than me and might be able to point out some complications.

Last edited:
I also haven't seen anything on the board about whether the sound from mixes in PT9 (or any DAW) can be output from the Axe 2 into FRFR speakers instead of studio monitors. I can't think of any reasons it couldn't, but people around here have more knowledge and experience than me and might be able to point out some complications.

I don't see why you couldn't send the mixes from a DAW to a FRFR system. The signal coming from your Axe II isn't amplified yet, it's line level. So you can plug that directly into FRFR speakers like my K12's and it should work, or you could send it to a FOH system and it should work there as well.

Yes you can use you FRFR system as listening montitors but they will need to be hooked up into the "monitor out" on your digidesign rig. As for Pro Tools, any versions before the "9" you wont be able to directly record as pro tools doesnt let you use thire interface(002/003 as an example) and run a second audio interface at the same time. Id be willing to bet some good money though that the version 9 wont give you that problem as it is made to be used with other interfaces. I can confirm that other interfaces work well with the Pro Tools 9 setup. I am pretty confident that anyone with a Pro Tools 9 setup and an AXE II, wont have a problem recording straight into pro tools.

My current band "The Falling" (The Falling | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos) we are running a lot of samples. Some of the overdubing of guitars and main guitars on that website in the songs was done with the AXE Ultra. This was done in a professional recording studio with a pretty high recording budget. It is a great sounding unit and I am going to be picking up the AXE II when it becomes availible. I am currently using the Ultra live as I need to create a bunch of patches to re-create those album sounds. Now, we play with samples(prerecordings from the album) in the background so everything is played to the click. We run our live projects through Pro Tools with a Digi 002 and send the outputs we want to where they need to go. Now what im tring to get working is to have Pro Tools send "Program Changes" to my AXE Ultra so I dont need to step on anything when I play live anymore!! But......I still want to have my midi controller(pedalboard) in front of me and see the changes not only on my AXE Ultra but on my "midi controller" as well and still be able to call up patches from my controller when/if something were to go wrong within Pro Tools or the DigiDesign. Ill let you know how that turns out in the next little bit.

***Mastering was done at Avatar Studios in New York if anyone wants to know by Fred Kivorkin.

Last edited:
This all sounds great for me. For the last question, would USB connection to PT9 be noticeably slower than the firewire connection of 003? If I'm able to detect latency while tracking through USB, then I would rather stick with the 003/PT8 setup. But, being able to do everything in one rig would be so convenient for me. I only record rough tracks to remember ideas and make some scrap demos, or make backing tracks out of boredom.

This all sounds great for me. For the last question, would USB connection to PT9 be noticeably slower than the firewire connection of 003? If I'm able to detect latency while tracking through USB, then I would rather stick with the 003/PT8 setup. But, being able to do everything in one rig would be so convenient for me. I only record rough tracks to remember ideas and make some scrap demos, or make backing tracks out of boredom.
I don't have an 003/PT8 to test with, but there is no noticeable latency (2ms?) in the USB audio feed from the Axe2.

I really doubt a noticable lag will be present. Firewire is faster with the digidesign but thats mostly because you have multiple mic/line inputs that will send on seperate tracks along with a whole bunch of assignable outs. Something I think USB will have a problem with. I cannot tell you it will work 100% as I have yet to physically try this type of setup for myself but I think its safe to say you will be fine.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks guys. I might be able to have a compact bedroom rig/'studio' with only a laptop, Axe 2, and some studio headphones if this works right.

Back
Top Bottom