AX8: what is "must have" IR ?

Both of those two sounds had kind of a huge 80s reverb and a fuzzy thing going on drive-wise. I dunno why but I'm thinking ML Brit 80s IR wise.

Factory Cab 55- 4x12 PRE-ROLA 75 M160 (ML) — Based on a 4x12 Marshall 1960 cab with G12M 75Hz greenbacks, UltraRes.

That is the one I have been using on almost all my patches with Bogner Shiva Clean, Friedman BE and HBE, CAE3 Clean, and the AC-20. They all sound great to me.

I tired the Factory Cab 55- 4x12 PRE-ROLA 75 M160 (ML) on my Friedman Smallbox 50 preset and my Shiva clean and really like this IR.

Oh No, here comes the Rabbit Hole lol.

But seriously, reading this forum gives me lots of great info for refining my presets, being a Fractal newbie my eyes are wide open :)

Damn, I was going to jump on the "rabbit hole" band wagon as I feel many people spend way to much time on tone, and not enough on playing/recording. (however if one is recording a record, I definately agree to spend a ton of time getting the right tone) But then I saw ML's pack 20. DAMN YOU! I am blessed to have quite a few real heads/cabs and have been shopping for m160, md421, royer ribbon etc to upgrade my microphones to start micing multiple speakers with multiple mics...etc. Pretty much your description of pack 20 is exactly what I am working on. Guess I have to purchase your pack now, lol.

Ha. Well guitar tone hunting in general is a rabbit hole. How many guitars, amps, pedals etc. have you guys owned? :) And yes when Cab Pack 20 came out it was kind of a... well can I ever create anything that big? I doubt it. :D

Damn, I was going to jump on the "rabbit hole" band wagon as I feel many people spend way to much time on tone, and not enough on playing/recording. (however if one is recording a record, I definately agree to spend a ton of time getting the right tone) But then I saw ML's pack 20. DAMN YOU! I am blessed to have quite a few real heads/cabs and have been shopping for m160, md421, royer ribbon etc to upgrade my microphones to start micing multiple speakers with multiple mics...etc. Pretty much your description of pack 20 is exactly what I am working on. Guess I have to purchase your pack now, lol.
you can find those mics in most 3rd party ir packs. that's what makes them so good, the ability to get exactly what you want....in mic, mic position, cab, speakers, mix, etc. Say you like one of the cabs that are factory but wish the mic placement was different...that's why you buy a cab pack.

Dear FAS users, i need your help!

I'm a new joiner at FAS products as i recently purchased an AX8 and active wedge... things work really really well on average presets for most tones but i've recently realized that my hi gain presets still lack something and i believe that something is the right IR. I tried all the factory cabs + some commercial IRs + some commercial presets but still my tone does not reach the tight low ends and sparkling highs i'm looking for: it's odd that i can hear such definition in almost every you tube video i saw regarding high gain patches on AX8 but i was not able to replicate these tones, not even after purchasing a few quality presets.

My guitars are a Les Paul Studio with factory pickups and a Les Paul junior with Seymour Duncan Jeff Back. Both guitars give the same results: low end is not tight and defined enough and the sparkling highs i'm lloking for are not there... I'm not saying the AX8 is not good enough, it's defintely my fault and i hope some more experienced users can help me out with this matter.

I don't mind purchasing some quality IRs but i'm discouraged because i know factory cabs are supposed to be more then enough and i'm not a tonefrick guy... i was hoping to find a good higain presets quickly but it's becoming way more complicated.

Any suggestions?

And sorry for my english, Italian FAS user here.

There are definitely better IR's for you out there than stock IR's, that's why even Fractal sells official Cab Packs. That being said there are high quality stock IR's in there as well and if you can't get even close to what you're looking for then maybe the IR's are not the only thing that's your problem.

What are you using for listening to these "good samples on YouTube"? Headphones? Try running those "good samples on YouTube" through your active wedge and see if they still sound good. You are getting a very different representation of sound through a wedge than easy listening speakers.

The factory #149 is the one I liked the best from the start...Leon Todd has some great MESA presets he posted on the forum which I think are awesome, which use for the most part the 149 factory IR until just recently when he added some Diezel presets with an IR he shot which sounds great.

Nothing wrong with 3rd party IR's at all, but I would tell you to really first focus on familiarizing yourself with the unit first before you jump into the rabbit hole. Unless you have unlimited time, one month is pretty short for becoming fluent on the operation and optimization of the tones that YOU want to hear which is really the secret to this whole thing...that's just my 2 1/2 cents worth.

There are definitely better IR's for you out there than stock IR's, that's why even Fractal sells official Cab Packs.
I don't think it makes sense to talk about a better IR. If two IRs are recorded well with the same resolution, they are equally good, but may have different EQ balances, that will suit different peoples' taste and different situations.

I think many of the stock IRs are easily the same quality as the third party IRs, I have bought, but there are only ~20 IRs in the stock cabs that are close to my taste. When I buy cab packs I get much more variety that all fits within my taste.

The factory #149 is the one I liked the best from the start...Leon Todd has some great MESA presets he posted on the forum which I think are awesome, which use for the most part the 149 factory IR until just recently when he added some Diezel presets with an IR he shot which sounds great.

Nothing wrong with 3rd party IR's at all, but I would tell you to really first focus on familiarizing yourself with the unit first before you jump into the rabbit hole. Unless you have unlimited time, one month is pretty short for becoming fluent on the operation and optimization of the tones that YOU want to hear which is really the secret to this whole thing...that's just my 2 1/2 cents worth.

Thank you so much for chiming in, LancerS. Do you have the chance to share one of the Mesa presets your prefer? i'd like to try one of these!

There are definitely better IR's for you out there than stock IR's, that's why even Fractal sells official Cab Packs. That being said there are high quality stock IR's in there as well and if you can't get even close to what you're looking for then maybe the IR's are not the only thing that's your problem.

What are you using for listening to these "good samples on YouTube"? Headphones? Try running those "good samples on YouTube" through your active wedge and see if they still sound good. You are getting a very different representation of sound through a wedge than easy listening speakers.

Thank you ML Sound Lab, i'll try what you suggested... i hope the problem does not lay in the wedge (nothing special, to be fair: Alto TS210): i decided not buy a wedge that could possibly sound "better" than these i would find in live contexts.

Let me clarify that its not that i cannot even get close to a good tone, the thing is that i made same really nice sounding presets at home but when turned to loud volume with the rest of the band, the tone was no longer that great. I'll now focus on stock IRs to see if i'm able to use a combination of these ones to get the tone i'm after..... once i'm there i'll look into some quality IRs. I'd love to hear your suggestiuons in terms of which IR pack to took into for modern metal / punk hc tones. thank you all

Factory 136 is a nice starting point to get the best out of a balanced amp tone. Blend it with a thicker cab, factory 84 for example.

I don't think your problem is the IR. The IR can make a difference between something that sounds good and something that sounds perfect, but it sounds like you're much further away from where you want to be. If you tried the factory presets and some commercial presets, and you still get a bad result, the problem is neither the preset nor the IR.

I would guess that your chain is clipping somewhere. Either your wedge cannot deliver the power you need, or maybe you are clipping the output of the AX8. Maybe it is the way, you are listening to the wedge.

I bought a couple of cab packs. Didn't find anything better than the stock cabs. I tend to stick to the regular Cali cab that I used in my Ultra as well. It just works for metal.

Back
Top Bottom