Attention Bass Players!!! Something Wicked This Way Comes...

I know. What I mean is that guitar players already have so much good amps and cabs to choose from. Whereas for bass there are only very few. So bass players have to rely on cab packs. Also what is already in the Axe fx for bass can be improved. There are so many topics now about bass specific requests. I would rather have FAS doing more for bass.

Last edited:
Are there currently any stock UltraRes bass cabinets in the AxeFxII? Last I checked there weren't. Would be nice to see the stock cabinets updated to at least have some (if not all) that were UltraRes. Again, this speaks to the way bass stuff is generally "backburner". The only UltraRes IRs I have I've purchased, and IMO they represent an upgrade in quality for bass cabinet sims.

Hi Pauly,

You will be pleasantly surprised with the mics used. Harrison MR-3 console was used. Countryman DI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Audio_Consoles

If FAS or the beta team found this pack to be remotely substandard, I would have not been able to release it.

To tell you how rigorous my standards are, I did 3 separate sessions at the studio before I felt comfortable releasing the results to the beta team as I figure if you are going to spend hard earned money on something, it better be worth it.

I treat this and all future cab packs as if I was the buyer of them, what I would find of value.

Thanks again,
Dr B
Curious - how many actual bass players (not guitarist who is now playing bass) - someone who really understands basses and great bass tone - are in the beta team and at FAS? I'm guessing none, to be honest. So to say that they gave their stamp of approval really means nothing to me, as their opinion is not reflective of a real bass player. Now, if you said you shot this, and put it in front of a dozen bass players and they said it rocked, they you'd be going good places. Nothing has convinced me, or even really suggested, that this is going to be "worth it", yet.
I'm sure this is shot well, though I too would like to see more info before throwing money down.

I am less excited. I would rather see such bass things implemented in the Axe fx. Why should bass players pay for the good stuff and guitar players not?
Absolutely agree!
??

Cab Packs (most) are not free:
http://www.fractalaudio.com/cab-packs.php

Sometimes some IRs from a cab pack are included with the firmware, but not always.
How many guitar cabs are in the Axe-Fx from factory? How many actual bass cabs are in there (sorry, the Fender Bassman and such do not count, not by a long shot)? Is it even 10:1, or is it higher (I suspect it's much, much higher ratio guitar:bass cabs). In order to really get great results from an Axe-Fx II, a bass player is being asked to buy the unit, and either deal with the substandard cabs available, or go spend more money on 3rd party IRs - all the while, guitarists have pretty much every popular cab in the unit from factory.

Edit:
I had to look it up out of curiosity. There are 8 bass cabs from factory. There are 253 (!!!!) guitar cabs. Almost 32 guitar cabs for every single bass cab.

Put another way - there are almost as many IRs of the Mesa/Boogie "Recto" as there are of all bass cabs.

Last edited:
Are there currently any stock UltraRes bass cabinets in the AxeFxII? Last I checked there weren't. Would be nice to see the stock cabinets updated to at least have some (if not all) that were UltraRes. Again, this speaks to the way bass stuff is generally "backburner". The only UltraRes IRs I have I've purchased, and IMO they represent an upgrade in quality for bass cabinet sims.
I'm not even sure I'd say that bass stuff is "backburner" at this point. It's been so long since any bass stuff has gotten attention, I think it's safe to say that bass gear is not even in the kitchen any longer.

@Bodde and @selta - while I do understand where you are coming from, I think it's a bit rude and counter productive to be bitching at @dr bonkers about those issues. This thread is about a cab pack, not a lack of bass-specific fractures in the Axe Fx ...

He's trying to provide a service here specifically for bassists to help address an existing lack, that a non-FAS employee can actually provide.

Additionally, the negative connotation about the potential quality of these IRs is unwarranted. If you want to disparage them, at least wait until you have actually heard them!

I'm not disparaging them - in fact, I said "I'm sure this is shot well..." and that I'd just like more facts posted. If the cab is shot and the mic selection finalized, I'm not sure why the secrecy/games. I don't even know what this pack is going to cost. Without all of that information, I cannot yet tell if it'll be worth purchasing.

Also, if you look at my "bitching", it's directed at Yek (the person I quoted), as he came in with his own post, which I reacted to and commented on. As a moderator of the forums on FAS's website, I basically consider Yek a voice of FAS and speaking on FAS's behalf.

I'm super glad someone is out there trying to change what they can with the lack of bass gear present. I've shot some of my own IRs, and intend to keep on shooting some, with the hope of maybe getting good enough to release my own pack of IRs (though I'd likely do it for free at first, since it only costs me time) - it is hard though, and I applaud people who can do it well. I'll gladly pay for IR packs if they have cab and mic choices that make sense and work towards my tone goals. So far we don't know what cab was shot, what mic(s) were used, or how much it'll cost (I'd guess $30 based on the other packs, but who knows). Once I see that information, if it looks good, I'll definitely throw my money down and buy it. If it doesn't work out, I still won't really post that I think it's bad - because for someone, it won't be.

In short - thank you @dr bonkers for doing this. It's good that you are, and I *am* looking forward to when it's released. I'm glad you're taking it on for us.

G'day Selta,

I gotta partly agree with unix guy here - please give Mr Bonkers a chance before you start bringing him down.
To me it's fantastic that someone's excited about adding something for bass!

So - give him a pat on the back and say thanks, then evaluate the product when its time.

Thanks
Pauly

I'm not disparaging them - in fact, I said "I'm sure this is shot well..." and that I'd just like more facts posted. If the cab is shot and the mic selection finalized, I'm not sure why the secrecy/games. I don't even know what this pack is going to cost. Without all of that information, I cannot yet tell if it'll be worth purchasing.

Also, if you look at my "bitching", it's directed at Yek (the person I quoted), as he came in with his own post, which I reacted to and commented on. As a moderator of the forums on FAS's website, I basically consider Yek a voice of FAS and speaking on FAS's behalf.

I'm super glad someone is out there trying to change what they can with the lack of bass gear present. I've shot some of my own IRs, and intend to keep on shooting some, with the hope of maybe getting good enough to release my own pack of IRs (though I'd likely do it for free at first, since it only costs me time) - it is hard though, and I applaud people who can do it well. I'll gladly pay for IR packs if they have cab and mic choices that make sense and work towards my tone goals. So far we don't know what cab was shot, what mic(s) were used, or how much it'll cost (I'd guess $30 based on the other packs, but who knows). Once I see that information, if it looks good, I'll definitely throw my money down and buy it. If it doesn't work out, I still won't really post that I think it's bad - because for someone, it won't be.

In short - thank you @dr bonkers for doing this. It's good that you are, and I *am* looking forward to when it's released. I'm glad you're taking it on for us.
I don't want to get into an argument over this and I won't post again on.it, but this quote from above was in reply to dr bonkers, not yek:

Curious - how many actual bass players (not guitarist who is now playing bass) - someone who really understands basses and great bass tone - are in the beta team and at FAS? I'm guessing none, to be honest. So to say that they gave their stamp of approval really means nothing to me, as their opinion is not reflective of a real bass player. Now, if you said you shot this, and put it in front of a dozen bass players and they said it rocked, they you'd be going good places. Nothing has convinced me, or even really suggested, that this is going to be "worth it", yet.
I'm sure this is shot well, though I too would like to see more info before throwing money down.

That is what i was referring to by "disparaging"...

In any case, it may be that I've misread your intent.

I think it's best to be an optimist in this case due to lack of bass IRs and hope this becomes the go-to pack for bass!

And by the way. I've just convinced my bassist to drink the Fractal Kool-aid, so I'm hoping they are great! He's on the Axe Fx waitlist as of yesterday :cool:

Cool. Like I said multiple times - thank you dr bonkers for doing it. I'm not sure how else I can very clearly thank him for doing this. I can't throw a lot of enthusiasm behind it yet. Basically at this point, we just know that a bass cab pack is coming, nothing more. Once more info is out, and it's available for purchase, I'll be a lot more enthused. If you want to continue mis-reading my intent, that is OK. My quest was when he got his "approval", did the "approves" have good credential? I don't go to a heart surgeon when I have kidney stones.

Good on your bassist too. I presume AX8? In any case, it's good to have more bassists getting this gear, despite it's flaws and draw backs. I'm hoping to release a preset bank for AX8 (and 8 or so presets for Axe-Fx II) in a few weeks... gotta get through a rather large gear showing event I'm hosting this weekend, then I can focus on finishing that up... especially since firmware releases seemed to have slowed down a tad.

Cool. Like I said multiple times - thank you dr bonkers for doing it. I'm not sure how else I can very clearly thank him for doing this. I can't throw a lot of enthusiasm behind it yet. Basically at this point, we just know that a bass cab pack is coming, nothing more. Once more info is out, and it's available for purchase, I'll be a lot more enthused. If you want to continue mis-reading my intent, that is OK. My quest was when he got his "approval", did the "approves" have good credential? I don't go to a heart surgeon when I have kidney stones.

Good on your bassist too. I presume AX8? In any case, it's good to have more bassists getting this gear, despite it's flaws and draw backs. I'm hoping to release a preset bank for AX8 (and 8 or so presets for Axe-Fx II) in a few weeks... gotta get through a rather large gear showing event I'm hosting this weekend, then I can focus on finishing that up... especially since firmware releases seemed to have slowed down a tad.
Nope... Axe Fx II XL+. He also plays Chapman Stick and will likely run some dual amp presets for that, as well as other uses.

@Bodde and @selta - while I do understand where you are coming from, I think it's a bit rude and counter productive to be bitching at @dr bonkers about those issues. This thread is about a cab pack, not a lack of bass-specific fractures in the Axe Fx ...

He's trying to provide a service here specifically for bassists to help address an existing lack, that a non-FAS employee can actually provide.

Additionally, the negative connotation about the potential quality of these IRs is unwarranted. If you want to disparage them, at least wait until you have actually heard them!

Agreed. It is more a frustration on the lack of bass improvements and good stuff for bass in the Axe fx. While guitar players get all the fun and updates. Totally agree with selta's points. Wish there were more bass players working at FAS. My remarks had nothing to do with dr bonkers cab pack so nothing against his cab packs! That was not my intention. Just wishing for more and better bass stuff in the Axe fx that's all.

/off topic:

Barend, on another topic: are you coming to the Dutch Axe-Fest on June 4th?

I agree. It is disappointing when FAS releases a bass cab pack (which I have purchased) that includes Ultra-Res IRs, but includes no UR IRs with their stock bass cabinets. It could have easily provided a free UR bass cab from that Pack as a teaser, or included in the stock cabinets, which it has done with other guitar IR cab packs.

The Producer Pack bass cab IRs were a step in the right direction, but that was how long ago? And none were UltraRes. In the meantime, I've helped a guitarist craft a handful of working presets and they all sound great using only stock UltraRes guitar cabinets. I guess this is the point. Bassists seem to have to always struggle to get the "good stuff".

I'm beyond the point of grieving too much over this any more. It is what it is IMO. For as much as the AxeFxII matters for my bass rig anymore, I can deal with spending a couple bucks here and there for 3rd party cab IRs. I'd rather that weren't the case though.

Absolutely agree!

How many guitar cabs are in the Axe-Fx from factory? How many actual bass cabs are in there (sorry, the Fender Bassman and such do not count, not by a long shot)? Is it even 10:1, or is it higher (I suspect it's much, much higher ratio guitar:bass cabs). In order to really get great results from an Axe-Fx II, a bass player is being asked to buy the unit, and either deal with the substandard cabs available, or go spend more money on 3rd party IRs - all the while, guitarists have pretty much every popular cab in the unit from factory.

Edit:
I had to look it up out of curiosity. There are 8 bass cabs from factory. There are 253 (!!!!) guitar cabs. Almost 32 guitar cabs for every single bass cab.

Put another way - there are almost as many IRs of the Mesa/Boogie "Recto" as there are of all bass cabs.

I would guess if FAS thought the pack sucked they would not release it.

That is one reason why I wanted to work under the aegis of FAS is because of their high standards for quality to assure people that I am not some yahoo with no knowledge that was producing ir's in a compromised environment.

If what FAS produced was not considered at a high standard, none of us would be here as customers.

The further details will be available when the pack is released so that people can make their informed decisions about whether to buy or not buy.

As far as what ir's are included in the factory cabs versus not included, I don't control that.

This is purely my guess, based on some of the posts I have seen in past firmwares, many 2 users freak out when a factory cab is replaced that was used in a critical preset for them. My guess is such reactions would make FAS 2nd guess replacing factory cabs with something dissimilar when those reactions happen, even when they were put up for a vote previously.

It's an interesting point, but it's not something that I could speak about with any sort of authority or knowledge as I just do not know.

It's a bit of a downer to start a thread with a guessing game to generate some interest and find the thread derails in a bunch of ways that I have no knowledge or ability to speak about.

If it was a criticism of the ir sounds in the clip, then I could accept that as criticism goes with the territory in any new endeavor and makes a stronger set of products in the long term.

But seeing reactions about things which I have no way to affect change on is a bit of a bummer in a thread that was supposed to be about good news for bass players in the FAS realm for a change.

Just know that my frustration wasn't at all directed at you - I was mostly intending to react to Yek (again, a mod here and IMO then a voice of FAS), and also about holding FAS as an authority on bass. I'm glad you sought their input as they certainly know their product and guitar IRs, but I'm still not sure they would know what makes a good bass IR. Kind of spun out of control from there. Also, I misread when you said about using the cab pack for guitar, as I had read that as there would also be guitar cabs included - my mistake.

I have no criticism of the clips - in part, as I liked what I heard, but also because it's hard to really judge something like this from a clip on the internet. I'm looking forward to the full set of info, and am already planning on buying. It'd be nice to hear more teasers :D

Even then, I can't really guess on what cab or mic(s) are in the clip. With the infinite combination of those, it's pretty hard to venture any kind of guess for me. Is this cab pack going to be in the official FAS store, or will we be linked to the store that'll have it perhaps? :) I'm fine with either way, just curious.

There's plenty of cats out there shooting guitar IRs. I think someone could make a name for themselves by shooting good bass IRs, especially right now! Hopefully you're that guy :D

Back
Top Bottom