Atomic CLR Powered Wedge: My Impressions...

Thanks Cobbler - I'm digging my NEOs too. Seriously, these things are just awesome and easily the best solution for a modeler that I have ever heard.

So ultra quiet that - sometimes when I walk into my studio and pick up the guitar with the AXE FX II already powered up - I'll think that the NEOs are not powered up and hit a chord only to be basted back into my chair when the signal passes the gate threshold on my presets! And these things are right at my feet in wedge position :lol

The Cons listed above by Cobbler are easily and very inexpensively addressed - Just order a pair of 25" IEC power cords and right angle adapters to mate with the CLRs to reduce the risk of someone stepping on the cord and damaging the CLR power connector.

I did the same for the XLR-to-TRS cables - I ordered a pair of 25" XLR cables and right angle XLR-to-TRS adapters to reduce the risk of someone stepping on the TRS end of the cable and damaging the TRS input jack on my NEOs.

Bonus - you can easily thread the cables and cords through the NEOs sturdy recessed handles for strain relief.

Otherwise - these things are just perfect! :)

PS - for you couch potatoes out there - like me :) - the ultra-light factor of the NEOs will get you up out of your chair and over to those jam sessions/gigs more often! So the NEOs are definitely worth their weight - and price - in gold! :triumphant:

Agreed. Power status and clipping LEDs should be on front.

Two other possible improvements:

• The input level and master controls should require more force to adjust. When a cable touches them accidentally, they move.
  • MIC setting for Input 2. The LINE input is too weak to amplify a directly connected microphone.

+1 to front LED lights and Mic input setting for Input 2

I have a similar problem with my Mackie DL1608 digital mixer's input trims...too easily knocked off their position. I've read where others have solved this problem by removing the knobs, putting rubber grommets/washers over the shaft to where it meets the face plate, and then putting the knob back in place. If sized properly, the rubber grommet provides enough resistance to keep things stationary, but not so much that it is difficult to rotate. I've not yet tried this, but no reason why this shouldn't work on the CLR. I'd also like to see the knobs, or at least the main output knob, on the front of the unit.

Last edited:
I have a similar problem with my Mackie DL1608 digital mixer's input trims...too easily knocked off their position. I've read where others have solved this problem by removing the knobs, putting rubber grommets/washers over the shaft to where it meets the face plate, and then putting the knob back in place. If sized properly, the rubber grommet provides enough resistance to keep things stationary, but not so much that it is difficult to rptate. I've not yet tried this, but no reason why this shouldn't work on the CLR.

Good idea.

+1 to front LED lights and Mic input setting for Input 2

I have a similar problem with my Mackie DL1608 digital mixer's input trims...too easily knocked off their position. I've read where others have solved this problem by removing the knobs, putting rubber grommets/washers over the shaft to where it meets the face plate, and then putting the knob back in place. If sized properly, the rubber grommet provides enough resistance to keep things stationary, but not so much that it is difficult to rotate. I've not yet tried this, but no reason why this shouldn't work on the CLR. I'd also like to see the knobs, or at least the main output knob, on the front of the unit.

I think it looks more like a Rock Star to have some artist's tape with the settings written on it stuck to the gear! :)

All I needed was a monitoring solution that was portable for the few times I play out.
My goal was obtaining a monitoring solution that would:

• Transport easily.
• Take up a minimal amount of floor space.
• Incorporate into my current system with minimal tweaking.
• Excel in different scenarios.​
IEM's seem to fit your criteria as well, especially portability.

Last edited:
Craig,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this thoughtful review. I'm really pleased that you're digging your CLR Neo setup.

Best,

Tom

I have 2 Powered CLR Wedges as of Dec 2013, and LOVE them! Got my MFC-101 about the same time, both of which took 6 months of waiting.

I am a 44 year old Commercial Banker, and don't play out or anything, but, I just happen to be amazing on the 6 string, thus my name, Axe Slinger.........:lol

Not a Bad set up for a 57 year old guy! You're doing great and have really gotten into the guitar and jumped in both feet first, Enjoy and Congrats!

I dont think rubber grommets will work with these knobs, they are hollow. Did this on my Mackie DL1608 and worked great. Gonna have to find a diffrent solution on the clr's. They turn way to easy.

Great write up, OP!

I've had my 2 CLRs (non-NEO, backbreaking versions, lol) a couple of months now and my experience pretty much matches yours. I think they're a great FRFR solution.

My only gripes would be ones concerning ergonomics, similar to those posted earlier, as reaching around the back of the wedge on the floor to check the input light is a PITA, and wish these lights and the level knobs were on the front of the wedge.

Nice job on the write up lots of details. I've had my CLR's for a few months now and they really are great sounding speakers. My only cons so far are: 1. More durable finish on cabs 2. Longer power cable 3. Front power indicator light.

I was just researching these out Craig. Nice to have stumbled across this. Even at over a year later... great read!:encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom