Atomic CLR Powered Wedge: My Impressions...

cobbler

Fractal Fanatic
Atomic CLR Powered Wedge (Neo): My Impressions...

Atomic CLR Powered Wedge: (Neo)

Wow how time flies! I received my first CLR in mid-October just a few days after AxeFest 2. I had been on the wait list for some time and when my name came up Tom King contacted me. We had met years ago so he knew I was a guy who uses a wheelchair for mobility and he wanted to let me know about the new CLR Neo version Atomic was testing and soon to release. Weight is a definite concern for me so I jumped at his offer to test one.

Within days I knew I had found MY solution and called Tom to purchase the pair. I received the 2nd Neo mid-December! After a few weeks with the two CLR’s I thought I would write up my impressions.

Since we all have different needs and use our equipment in a multitude of ways I feel a little personal context is in order. I am an older guy (57) yet a beginning-intermediate guitarist at best. I literally bought my first electric and my Ultra the very same week in 08 when I finally had some time to follow the lifelong dream to play guitar. I delve mostly in the classic rock and blues realm. I had recently moved to an apt/condo so blasting a 65 Deluxe Reverb I happened to have to volumes where the sound was ideal was a definite issue. I was quite pleased to see how well the Ultra (and subsequent Axe-Fx II) sounded through my Adam A7 Studio monitors at all volume levels.

I am a bachelor so basically my whole apartment is a man cave with my 20x30 living room serving as my all-in-one office/studio/TV room. All was good for this humble ole bedroom rocker. All I needed was a monitoring solution that was portable for the few times I play out. I then purchased a couple Atomic Reactor Series Active Wedges. While I enjoyed the sound I could get out of the wedges I had a couple of issues with them. One, they definitely colored the tone which required me to adjust presets created on the Adams or vice versa. Secondly, they were just too bulky for me to transport easily and took up a lot of floor space in my small room.

So we fast forward to today. The Atomic Reactors are gone, the CLR’s have found a home and the following is a simple review from my perspective as a hobbyist. My goal was obtaining a monitoring solution that would:

• Transport easily.
• Take up a minimal amount of floor space.
• Incorporate into my current system with minimal tweaking.
• Excel in different scenarios.​

Out of the Box:

One of my two CLR’s was delivered in a pristine box that looked like it just left the factory. The other was not so fortunate as UPS apparently felt the need to rough it up a bit. Upon opening the box there were no issues as the CLR was packed tightly in the center with heavy duty cardboard inserts on all edges. Nothing was cosmetically damaged. Before you toss out those inserts make sure to remove the power cable that is taped inside one of them!

The CLR Neo’s weighed in at 33.4 lbs. on my scale. My Atomic reactors weighed in somewhere around 46 lbs. The CLR (non Neo) is reported to weigh in at 45 lbs. While I have not tested a CLR alongside a CLR Neo I have a couple friends who have both and state the performance is identical. The Neo drivers are built in the USA. The Neo version is also assembled in the USA per Tom King. For many the decision here is simply cost vs. weight. The Neo CLR’s as of this date have a $400.00 USD upcharge over then non-Neo version. In my opinion, that is a small price to pay if weight is a concern for you.

It has been brought to my attention that current CLR owners can have their monitors converted to a Neo version if desired. You will have to contact Atomic for the details.
The CLR comes in a wooden cabinet with a metal grill for driver protection. The metal grill can be repositioned so the logo is at the top of the speaker depending on how you orient them. They are painted in a semi textured black and the Atomic logo is silver.

ghLYd5E.jpg

Speaking of orientation, the CLR has rubber feet for both wedge and cab positions along with a 35mm receptacle should you wish to mount it on a pole. The active monitors come with a DSP that applies a corrective EQ for the three cabinet positions which are set by the PRESET switch on the back panel. So let’s go there…

Back Panel:

3DF4c5d.jpg

The back panel of the CLR houses a heat sink allowing the CLR to be fanless, INPUT sockets with associated controls, the aforementioned PRESET switch, a SPEAKER LIMIT INDICATOR, a MASTER volume control, a SUB on/off switch, a LINK XLR out, a LINK SELECT switch, a power inlet socket, and an illuminated power on/off rocker switch.

The CLR allows two input sources. The INPUT jacks (1&2) are ¼” / XLR combo sockets. They each have a control knob to adjust the input signal with a corresponding clipping warning light.

The PRESET switch has three settings (FF, TILT, BL) which adjust the frequency response to accommodate three cabinet orientations.
FF (free field) – Cabinet elevated off the floor. (stands, poles)
TILT – Cabinet oriented as a wedge on the floor.
BL (Backline) – Cabinet oriented as a traditional cab on the floor.

The SPEAKER LIMIT INDICATOR is an LED that flashes red when the speaker is approaching its limit. Atomic reports that when the LED stays constantly lit then an internal safety function stops the amp from driving the speaker harder.

The MASTER switch controls the overall volume of the CLR.

The SUB switch if set to “on” tapers the lows and is used to accommodate an external subwoofer.

The LINK output is a pre EQ buffered pass through XLR out.

The LINK SELECT determines what inputs get sent to the LINK output.
1 – Input one.
2 - Input two.
X – Mix of Input one and two.

continued on next post...

Last edited:
In my Realm:

So let’s revisit. I’m no rock star. I have no delusions of ever being so. I am a simple guy who has finally found the time to follow a dream and learn how to play and record from a hobbyist perspective. 95% of my playing is done in my 20x30 untreated room.

I love the sound of my current system sans the CLR’s. I have both Mac and PC systems that I run through a RME UFX audio interface into Adam A7 monitors and a Sub8 subwoofer. I use the Adams for guitar monitoring, mixing, and listening to program music. I have always liked the crisp high ends they deliver.

Setting up & Orientation:

It doesn’t get any simpler than this. I ended up with my INPUT level at 2 o’clock and the MASTER at noon. All subsequent volume control is done with the Axe II or applications. I do notice a slight hiss as I turn up the master past 2 o’clock when idle but at those volumes it’s imperceptible in use.

Originally my intention was to use the CLR’s as a wedge on the floor. However, with the onboard DSP options provided I decided to try out the 3 different orientations. Obviously the room plays a big role so your findings may differ from mine.

I started out testing in the Wedge position (PRESET:TILT, SUB:OFF).

TVW1ZvE.jpg
9dNSFQJ.jpg

I then changed by setting them on end to the Backline position (PRESET:BL, SUB:OFF) followed by placing them on poles at ear level in the Free Field position (PRESET:FF, SUB:OFF). (I have to give a huge thank you to Mike Ryan of Frankenstands for making me a custom set that lowered the CLR’s to my ear level while sitting. It was very cool of him to do that!)

I found that the first two orientations delivered equivalent results with the third losing a little bottom end. This was nothing surprising to me as I lost the floor reflections. The PRESET switch, contrary to some reports, absolutely made a difference. I see the PRESET options as nothing but a positive by initializing your EQ for the CLR’s orientation leaving you minimal adjustments for the room environment.

I ended up leaving the CLR’s on the poles due to my environment and the floor space it saved me though I will have no problems using them as a wedge or backline elsewhere. I have them on both sides of an entertainment center so again they are not in ideal positions being in the corners of the room. But they sure look cool there!

T6RLabJ.jpg
4bRHc8v.jpg

Let’s Hear Them:

So the first thing I did (my rig was borrowed at the time) was to listen to music. I A/B tested by switching between the CLR’s and the Adam A7’s with and without the Sub8.

I’ll leave it up to the experts to debate the flatness, graphs, room characteristics, amp types etc. I’ll also leave it up to the professional musicians to explain how well they performed in the various venues they work in. I can only report on what I hear in my man cave.

So I listened to several CD’s of all genres including classical, blues, jazz, and rock. I know there has been a lot of hype and even controversy with regards to these monitors. I can and will honestly state to anyone with interest that they live up to all the talk. I wasn’t even 2 hours into listening to my first delivered CLR and I knew that. Now that I added the second it was even more obvious. Oh and for you conspiracy theorists, the second CLR sounds identical to the first which had over 200 hours use. Go figure. 

The bass response is stellar. So much so that I found the CLR’s with the SUB switch set to OFF held up with the Adam A7’s with the Sub8. I was a bit surprised by that. Turning the sub switch to the on position and using the Sub8 externally provided minimal change. The mids while clearly defined are not too pronounced. The top end clarity is just beautiful to listen to. The separation and depth of sound is just remarkable. I think the greatest compliment I could pay Tom is by letting him know I spent 3 whole entire days just DJ’ing music. Heck, I even pulled out some vinyl!

So I got my Axe II back and tossed that in the chain. After all, I did purchase the CLR’s because I needed a transportable monitoring solution for my rig. Having created most of my patches with the Adams I found they translated very well to the CLR’s with minor EQ’ing. I will have no issues creating patches on one set of monitors and playing them on the other. I had no such luxury with the Reactors.

After about 2 hours of playing on the very first preset I pulled up I came to a sudden realization. I have been comparing the CLR’s by A/B’ing them with my Adam A7’s to see if they could stand up to them. What was I thinking? The CLR’s far surpass them in almost every category. And they should at their price ranges. This became much more apparent the more I played. As I stated, I just love the sound my Adams produce. I get better results from the CLRs in the bottom end, clarity of notes, separation of instruments, and overall depth. It’s really not close.

How about that sweet spot? With my Adams I have basically a 2 to 3 foot sweet spot in front of my desk. If I wander from that the sound varies depending on location. While this is no issue while mixing, when it comes to listening or playing music it becomes a bit restrictive. The sweet spot for the CLR’s is my room. I am not exaggerating here and am actually blown away by this. Again, I will leave it up to the experts to explain the how and why. I just know what I am hearing and I like it. A lot!

continued on next post...

Last edited:

Pro’s:
• Sound – Bass response, clearly defined mids, crisp and clear top end. Surpasses any studio monitor I have personally heard (dozens) in its price range and beyond.
• Controls – Gain staging is simple to understand and configure. The PRESET and SUB switches work as advertised.
• Poweramp and cab optimization including DSP settings for 3 different cab orientations.
• Versatility – Performed equally well in multiple orientations with various sources of input.
• Translates well with nearfield monitors. (Adam A7)
• Size and weight. (Neo version weighs 13 lbs less than its counterpart)
• Packaging for shipping.

Con’s: (really nitpicking here)
• Power cable – The CLR ships with a 5 foot power cable. I would have liked longer cables to accommodate placing them on stands.
• Logo – I am not real fond of the silver logo. I think I will get creative one day and paint it a more subtle color.
• No on/off indicator LED on front face.

Conclusion:

It is obviously no secret that by now that I really like the way the CLR’s perform in my environment for my personal needs. Let’s revisit my four requirements for my monitoring solution.
I wanted a monitor that transports easily. Since I use a wheelchair for mobility the CLR Neo works remarkably well for me in this regard. I can easily lift the monitor and put it on my lap. They are so much easier to move around than my previous Reactors which were bulky by comparison. Check!

I wanted a monitor that takes up minimal floor space in my small room. I think one would be hard pressed to find a 12 inch active wedge in a smaller form factor. The CLR is roughly about 60% the size of my previous Reactors. The pole mounting socket worked out well for me. Even though the footprint of the pole stand slightly exceeds that of the CLR it afforded me the option of placing them at ear level in my room in locations that would not have been ideal for floor mounted speakers. Check!

I wanted a monitor that translated well into my current system. I really liked the tones I was getting with my Reactors but they did color it. I found myself making two of every preset to compensate for the differences between them and the Adams. Not anymore! The CLR’s and Adams translate extremely well with each other. Check!

Last but not least I wanted a solution that excels in different scenarios. This is where the CLR Active Wedge shines in my humble opinion. You have three possible ways to orient the cabinet and DSP functionality to compensate for the differences. The sound produced is clear, defined, and punchy across all volumes. I played programmed music through them. I played my Axe II rig through them with multiple electric and acoustic guitars. I ran my keyboards through my Ultra and into the CLR. All goodness! Check!

Since I placed the CLR’s on poles on both sides of my entertainment center I got to thinking. Maybe I can incorporate these beauties into my surround sound system? My Yamaha receiver has Pre Outs so I can send signals to external amplified sources. So just for fun I made up a couple cables and connected them to INPUT 2. Sound! Although I would rarely use the CLR’s in this scenario it is nice to know I can. I need to use the Yamaha YPAO system to calibrate them. I will get back to you with the results when I can find the remote and run the process!

I have rambled on long enough. There are dozens of reviews and impressions on these monitors from persons from all walks of life. Most I have read have come from the viewpoint of the professional musician. I thought I would offer up a slightly different perspective from the home hobby enthusiast. I would highly recommend the CLR Neo to anyone inquiring. If weight is not an issue for you then save some money and buy the standard version. I have listened to a lot of monitors over the past several years and I can honestly say that I believe you would have to spend two to three times as much to step into the same ballpark as the Atomic CLR. I absolutely love them!

Last edited:
In many ways your experiences mirror mine (50 something newbie home player with close to a seasoned live performers dream rig) except I've not yet pulled the trigger on the CLRs. Could you provide some comparison between the Reactors (which I still have but have never been thrilled with despite the hype around them at the time I bought them) and the CLRs. I know there is a big and obvious difference but I'd like to hear some specific comparison in relation to bottom end / top end / warmth or lack of / dispersion / punch / "dare I say it:" crack etc.

That's a very detailed, context full (thank you!) review. Impressed with your pics (and your guitars!!!!!!!!!!).

I share a lot of your opinions based on real life experience with the CLR's and I'm really glad you are digging them. They are a very seriously professional quality tool.

Thanks for your thoughts and writeup on the CLR's and great to hear you liking them. Hope your man-cave is comfortable and well stocked with food, etc. as it sounds like you're not leaving it for a while...:shock

Great review Craig. And great room! I love my CLR - the only thing better I think would be 2 of them...

Great review! Found myself compelled to read the whole thing, even though I own 2 of them myself as a hobbyist. :) Totally agree on all points of your review. And nice mancave!

Thank you Cobbler, for a great and informative review. I am on the waiting list for one Neo, and never thought of supplementing my great-but-bass-light Genelecs for tracking and mixing purposes, but after reading your review and others, I wonder if I'll have to pony up for a second as well.

I can see one thing I don't like: the IEC power connector instead of the much more secure Nuetrik Powercon. And, why oh why don't ALL manufacturers put a power status light on the front of their active speakers? But these are quibbles if these things sound as good as you and others say.

Thanks for taking the time, the photos, etc.

I can see one thing I don't like: the IEC power connector instead of the much more secure Nuetrik Powercon. And, why oh why don't ALL manufacturers put a power status light on the front of their active speakers? But these are quibbles if these things sound as good as you and others say.

Agreed. Power status and clipping LEDs should be on front.

Two other possible improvements:

• The input level and master controls should require more force to adjust. When a cable touches them accidentally, they move.
  • MIC setting for Input 2. The LINE input is too weak to amplify a directly connected microphone.

Last edited:
• Logo – I am not real fond of the silver logo. I think I will get creative one day and paint it a more subtle color.

I wasn't a real fan of the big obvious logo either. That thing can glare like a mirror under the right lighting! 8)

I'm sure you checked it out when you had the grille off, but if you wish to remove the logo entirely, it is firmly affixed by 3 metal rivets and 2 strips of double sided tape:

CLRLogo2.jpg

If you're careful, you can cut through the metal rivets (the logo itself is plastic) while leaving the 3 plastic stems intact. There are 3 alignment holes in the metal grille to guide you should you wist to re-attach the logo in the future.

CLRLogoHoles.jpg

CLRNoLogo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom