Are you tired of FRFR?

Not tired with FRFR - using Atomic CLRs.

This seems to be common amongst those who really like their sound. I called a buddy a few minutes ago, he is about 45 minutes south of me and invited me over to play on Saturday. He has two CLR cabs and said he loves them so much he sold his cabs. I am certainly very excited to see what everyone is so impressed with.

I will bring both my strat and tele and see what is up.
Wish me luck.

Jake

Reactions: sam
Jake, it's all just gear as far as most of us are concerned. IMO no reason to be coy about it, though I can tell you are probably trying to avoid seeing this thread turn into a pissfest, which I can appreciate.

That said, no piece of gear is perfect for everyone, and mature adults should be able to have differences of opinion without things turning ugly. Speaking for myself, I've read poor reviews of some pieces of gear that I've tried, really liked and used for many years, and vice versa. Opinions are....just opinions. Where things can get dicey is when opinions are supported by bits of information that are not factual on a technical level. This forum is great for help with technical issues and helpful hints. As for opinions, to each his own, I say. FWIW.:eagerness:

So, I personally wouldn't mind learning more about your gear findings within your specific realm of usage. Lots of gear sounds good and really "speaks" to some users. That you may not feel the same does not make the gear "bad", nor does it make you a bad guy.

Remember it doesnt need to be either/or, you can always get a low priced 4x12 (lots of cheapies on CL etc) and something like a EXH 2 cal amp, and run that along with a FRFR system. Stef from the Deftones does just that in fact.

Exactly. The original Axe-Fx (and now the II) were specifically designed so that you could do both. Use a conventional guitar cab on Output 2 and send Output 1 to FOH.

This seems to be common amongst those who really like their sound. I called a buddy a few minutes ago, he is about 45 minutes south of me and invited me over to play on Saturday. He has two CLR cabs and said he loves them so much he sold his cabs. I am certainly very excited to see what everyone is so impressed with.

I will bring both my strat and tele and see what is up.
Wish me luck.

Jake

Good luck. Be sure to install 11 beta beforehand.

Cab in the room and FRFR sound different because they are different. SS is not tube and FRFR speaker is not a guitar cab speaker. I think it's uneducated to think that a certain IR which is just EQ will close that gap. Match EQ is amazing but doesn't break the laws of physics. :D

It's a safe bet to have both solutions. Just understand that a tube power amp and real cab are about 60% of the signal chain meaning that many preamps will sound extremely alike. FRFR gives you the option of changing cabs and power amps so you can change your tone completely.

So... are just using one IR for most of your patches? Then maybe get that real cabinet.

Are the frfr like way different than a fr monitor?
What are some good frfr at a decent price?
I use a gt1000 and a Marshall cabs out 2 thru FX loop (no cab sim)
And I use ehx 44 magnum into a fr monitor out of out 1
If I get a frfr monitor will it make a big difference from a fr?
I'm getting a good mix now. But i have never used frfr cabs

Last edited:
Balance
I've grown so sick of sticking 2 57's in front of EVM's and letting the sound guy rule.
It is so getting there to set your sound on stage and sending a clone to FOH and hopefully they dont F it up.
Yes the Fractals can do both. I want easy, what I hear the FOH translates. It's a dream that is so close.
Caveat: I'm still bonding with 11. And I cant tweak easily till AE 3.
Patience...Is... a ...

My SLO model /w underlying clean twin rules!!!! even more with 11

Mr Clif is a hero

Oh and Mr sound man pad me! Because I am bringing it!@!

The funny thing about this is, the more I delve into FRFR the more I like it over my traditional Marshall Amps + Cabs. For me it's all about control and the Axe + FRFR give me that more than any traditional amp + cab ever could.

The ability to create a tone, record that tone, and then consistently reproduce that exact tone live for the audience, for me, means I will never gig a tube amp + cab again, there is just no need.

all the rest like effects, weight, size, it's all just added bonuses!

Cab in the room and FRFR sound different because they are different. SS is not tube and FRFR speaker is not a guitar cab speaker. I think it's uneducated to think that a certain IR which is just EQ will close that gap. Match EQ is amazing but doesn't break the laws of physics. :D

It's a safe bet to have both solutions. Just understand that a tube power amp and real cab are about 60% of the signal chain meaning that many preamps will sound extremely alike. FRFR gives you the option of changing cabs and power amps so you can change your tone completely.

So... are just using one IR for most of your patches? Then maybe get that real cabinet.

What's odd though, or can be confusing, is most FRFR solutions are 12in speakers. Some differences are the composite enclosure vs. wood cabinet. One would "think" you "should" be able to get an FRFR to sound like a guitar cab. Even if it just takes a little EQ. Why not? Why can't an FRFR speaker sound like a cab in the room?? I think this is what the disillusion ( or not) is for some people.

I think a lot of that has to do with 1) the difference in construction of guitar speakers versus PA speakers, and 2) the method of capturing speaker IRs which requires use of a microphone. PA speakers sound more consistent from different angles and distances, and guitar speakers vary, often wildly from slightly different positions. I think it defeats the point of using FRFR to go for a "cab in the room" sound. The Axe-FX is supposed to be the whole thing in the box: amps, cabs, effects, mics, etc. FRFR is perfect for using the Axe-FX to get a nice, polished "recorded" tone. If you want to hear a cab physically in the room, put a cab in the room.

The funny thing about this is, the more I delve into FRFR the more I like it over my traditional Marshall Amps + Cabs. For me it's all about control and the Axe + FRFR give me that more than any traditional amp + cab ever could.

The ability to create a tone, record that tone, and then consistently reproduce that exact tone live for the audience, for me, means I will never gig a tube amp + cab again, there is just no need.

all the rest like effects, weight, size, it's all just added bonuses!

And the Clean Andy Summers tones just ooze at a flick of the button!! whatever floor board you use

Speaking of uneducated...A speaker for the most part is a linear time invariant system. Which is what an impulse response describes. An impulse response is not a "Match EQ". Maybe a little education is in order :)

As a semi seasoned vet. No the 8 celestions or (mychoice) 4 evms cranked with a Marshall 9200 (i just sold for a profit @ 10 years old) is something to behold. We are so close as to think why? Why can I get so close and kneel to a FRFR and get it right. Are we faking?
Why do EJ, JB, JS, Vai or Timmons still go the speaker route.
Because it is still valid. And always will be.
But I do not have roady's any longer...
And shit this thing is Valid!!

As a semi seasoned vet. No the 8 celestions or (mychoice) 4 evms cranked with a Marshall 9200 (i just sold for a profit @ 10 years old) is something to behold. We are so close as to think why? Why can I get so close and kneel to a FRFR and get it right. Are we faking?
Why do EJ, JB, JS, Vai or Timmons still go the speaker route.
Because it is still valid. And always will be.
But I do not have roady's any longer...
And shit this thing is Valid!!

besides, they have contract...

besides, they have contract...

I'm sure its a factor.
But times are a changing!
Lot of belt tight going on, with the music economy.
Nice thing is we dont have to rely on L6 (though it has its place) and that kind of stuff..
We got MR CC who raises the bar.. make them Jump way higher!!!

So many excellent small co's making cool stuff analog and digital.
Golden age for us guitar guys

What is great is, he loves guitar/amps and the whole feel thing, we are too spoiled i think, but no... ok CC there is still that last 1% we are missing.. lol
We wont let you retire yet,,, not yet..

BTW tell Lifeson the next time you see him he still fudges YYZ now.. lol
(no dont, he wont share the cheese dip with you then)

Last edited:
My guess is you are not using the right FRFR or you're not positioning them optimally.

Maybe you're wanting the 'umph' from a bigger cab? Don't know. I certainly don't miss the 'umph' using my FRFR setup.

Currently, I'm using a pair of RCF NX-12 SMA's (I have three, but I use 2 most of the time) and I couldn't be happier.

I've played Marshall stacks, Bogners, Matchless, Fenders (all kinds - new and old), Gibsons (yes, they made amps), Silvertones, and custom built boutique amps. NONE of the "real" guitar amps give me the thrill I'm getting with my current FRFR setup.

Yes, there is something different about 'real' amps as compared to an FRFR setup. For instance, you don't get the backwash from the back side of a Fender open back cabinet. That is something that is different. But I don't miss it and I'll tell you why in a minute.

Yes, you don't have the 'beaming' effect like from a Marshall cab that bounces off the back wall of a club/hall. But I certainly don't miss that either.

Here is a trick I've been using lately. You might give it a try if you have the RCF's.

I point them BACKWARDS TOWARDS THE BACK WALL sitting on the floor and position them so that the sound bounces upwards from the monitors onto the back wall hitting the back of my head with the reflected sound.

Talking about SMOOTH!!! And it kicks my butt when I'm playing! There is no 'beaming' and I actually like it BETTER than the wash you get from an open back cabinet.

Your mileage may vary, but for me, that's the ticket.

L

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom